When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Starting point for Tudor Sub?

Rocketeer

I'm fairly new to the Reps area but I've been modding watches and building Franken-watches for a while.

My next project is to build a Tudor Submariner that I hope will come out something like this one

2311239112_c1a3db2cde.jpg

I've sourced the bezel & insert plus the hands, I've got a gen Tropic crystal for it and I'm doing the dial myself.

What I'd like are your recommendations for the best source watch to provide the case, with drilled lugs, good basic shape and - most important - the ability to accept a gen crystal and bezel, a good rehaut - nice and thick and fairly vertical, plus the movement (can be 2836 or 2824, but must be Swiss ETA)

Until now I've been using the Sandoz as donor for Sub style projects, but thanks to this place I now have a much bigger choice.

So, where would you start?

Thanks guys

I'm fairly new to the Reps area but I've been modding watches and building Franken-watches for a while.

My next project is to build a Tudor Submariner that I hope will come out something like this one

2311239112_c1a3db2cde.jpg

I've sourced the bezel & insert plus the hands, I've got a gen Tropic crystal for it and I'm doing the dial myself.

What I'd like are your recommendations for the best source watch to provide the case, with drilled lugs, good basic shape and - most important - the ability to accept a gen crystal and bezel, a good rehaut - nice and thick and fairly vertical, plus the movement (can be 2836 or 2824, but must be Swiss ETA)

Until now I've been using the Sandoz as donor for Sub style projects, but thanks to this place I now have a much bigger choice.

So, where would you start?

Thanks guys

I am no Rolex expert, but I understand that the MBW case is the only one that will accept the genuine parts. If that's correct then you don't have many options. However, I am intrigued by your comment 'I'm doing the dial myself'. I am a Tudor fan, particularly of this 'military' dial, and if you have any capacity to accurately reproduce these dials I am certainly interested.

Edited by PAMman

Well if you have a dial, that's a big step. You should ping Carlsbadrolex about a base case, he recently bought a Jewelryandwatch complete Tudor sub but had some quality issues with it which I think he worked through. I'd drop a slow beat 2846 in there too if the gen hands will fit it.

Good luck on the project!

The 9041 is one of my favorite watches too, here's my genuine ;)

DSCN4691.jpg

Hi,

i built this Tudor franken last year but the source for the correct case (its nothing like a Rolex sub case) that i used is no longer around but i believe they originated like all other quality cases from Vietnam.

Dial is from Thailand and hands from Classicwatchparts.

Its powered by a 2836 which has been made not to hack and has correct movement engravings. I will check around and let you know if i find something...

Actually i don't think i can call this a franken coz nothing on it is gen... oh apart from the crown. Does that count then?

P.

post-3074-1204787416_thumb.jpg post-3074-1204787461_thumb.jpg post-3074-1204787498_thumb.jpg post-3074-1204787551_thumb.jpg

Hi,

i built this Tudor franken last year but the source for the correct case (its nothing like a Rolex sub case) that i used is no longer around but i believe they originated like all other quality cases from Vietnam.

Its powered by a 2836 which has been made not to hack and has correct movement engravings. I will check around and let you know if i find something...

Actually i don't think i can call this a franken coz nothing on it is gen... oh apart from the crown. Does that count then?

P.

post-3074-1204787416_thumb.jpg post-3074-1204787461_thumb.jpg post-3074-1204787498_thumb.jpg post-3074-1204787551_thumb.jpg

If anyone can source that dial from Thailand I am ceryainly interested.

Hi,

P.

Nice PP!

A great link for Tudor Sub fans and a good reference for modding or building your own rep.

hxxp://forumamontres.forumactif.com/revues-videos-photographies-fiches-pratiques-f2/tudor-submariner-t1013.htm

That's an awsome link.

thanks for sharing

If our dealers came up with a Tudor Sub i'm sure there would be a lot of people interessted.

Edited by barbosas

How is the MBW 1680 as a starting point?

I've had such a Tudor project in mind for years already. I think its about time I finally follow through with it!

The MBW accepts gen parts, as several have pointed out.

So I'm thinking about starting off with a MBW 1680 submariner, add a Clark crystal, blue bezel insert, hands are available from Classicwatchparts, and the gen uses a pretty much stock ETA (I can just keep the ETA 28XX that comes with the MBW). Yeah, the case back wont have "Oyster Case By Rolex" engraved on it, but I have seen gens with standard "clean" Rolex backs. So not having an engraved case back does not necessarily mean fake. In addition, I never take off a watch and hand it to anyone. So its not like anyone will see the caseback anyway. If you MUST have a Tudor caseback, once again, Phong has it...another $450 or so.

The "only" thing that I would have to do is the dial. Obviously this is the centerpiece of the watch. And externally what really differentiates it from a Rolex.

I was just thinking about getting a custom dial or redialing the MBW dial. I don't have connections...but there are plenty of well known dial refinishers out there. I dont think it will be much of an issue to do one dial. A redial won't be cheap (I'm expecting a few hundred). Phong also has Tudor dials (asking price is about $450). But once done, I should have "the perfect Tudor" (IMHO).

Basically, does anyone know if the MBW 1680 is a good starting point? The case shape should be about the same...as with all good MBW projects, drill the holes, mod the crown guards a bit. But case should be good.

My concern is that I remember reading somewhere that the MBW dial size is a bit off compared to gen? or I think it was something about how MBW uses the 1680 case for their 5513 rep...and the 5513 uses a different dial size? So a gen 5513 dial doesn't directly fit (mods needed). If this is true, I remember reading that Rolex used the 5513 case for the 9411?

Any help is appreciated.