When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Storing time.

Sturb

Good afternoon/evening/morning guys and gals. I am just wondering how you all store your watches. My collection is growing rapidly and I am searching for the best method of storing the watches. I currently have a watch box that holds 3 watches. It only cost me

Good afternoon/evening/morning guys and gals. I am just wondering how you all store your watches. My collection is growing rapidly and I am searching for the best method of storing the watches. I currently have a watch box that holds 3 watches. It only cost me

Not the most elegant solution, but I use simple wood & glass watch cases with cubbies for 4-5 watches on top & 3-4 watches in each of 1 or 2 drawers below

Cosmographs005a1.jpg

Mine is a few years old & came from bedbathandbeyond.com. They have a similar model, but with an oddly convex glass cover (mine is flat on top) here for about $30 (about

Earlier this year I bought a nice lacquered rosewood box for ab. $40 from Amazon. It holds 20 watches, nicely displayed in my office.

The only problem is that my neighbors house was ransacked the other day. It's the first burglary that I know of in 14 years living here, but it makes me think twice about having my treasures displayed so prominently. Of course, if my watches were stolen, I would get some consolation when they would try to pawn them and found out they were reps. But that wuld be small consolution --relatively worthless to a robber, but worth a few grand to me.

The only problem is that my neighbors house was ransacked the other day. It's the first burglary that I know of in 14 years living here, but it makes me think twice about having my treasures displayed so prominently. Of course, if my watches were stolen, I would get some consolation when they would try to pawn them and found out they were reps. But that wuld be small consolution --relatively worthless to a robber, but worth a few grand to me.

Careful, Jack. An uncle of mine collected Purdey shotguns, but apparently had some "dummies" made for display.

His house in Henley was burgled, and the thieves were so angered that their haul was not as costly as they thought -- that they came back and vandalised his whole home. My cousin Kate was seconds away from God knows what, as she was coming up the drive as they left.

(If you remember the final episode of the Good Life/Good Neighbours, the very same thing. Was big in the hooligan-70s)

I'm sure you guys have formed a Neighbourhood Watch by now -- Americans always seem to have those stickers on their windows -- but I'd keep your rosewood box out of sight for now.