When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New DSN 201a

addingwatch

<SIGH>

That dial is SO close to being right. If only he would fix the shape of the 6 and 9. I'd buy a 201/a, 202/a AND 203/a!

Yeah feel the same, the 6 & 9 are still not what it should be :( , but nevertheless...Davidsen made a big step forward with his effort to create a good dial.

The quality feel of the watch is very nice, even better than the pictures. Everything about it is tight and the feel is as good as my authentic 24f.

The tube has fake screws at one end and an actual screw at the other. You need to make sure the tube is not stripped. I already lost one screw. DSN included two extra tube/screw sets.

Regards.

Looking good there :)

I just gotten mine. However something really bothers me, the crown sits way too high. Here's my comparo shots to DSN's previous generation 201/a (on the right)

How's it like on yours?

I am actually thinking of getting it switch to the older case set.

DSCN7928.jpg

Looks like it is because of the higher bezel and crystal so the movement has to sit higher in the case.... :wacko:

Bingo. The taller bezel is correct, but the real Pre-A's crowns weren't that high. Perhaps the the dials were further away from the crystal than the more contemporary models? I don't know the answer...

Edited by peepshow

I see this as a major dissapointment, i had been following the dial post and was looking forward to a vintage, the crown hight is a no on as far as i am concerned!

Same here...I was going to pull the trigger but this crown height situation discourage me from doing so....Will have to wait for this to be resolved first....

Bingo. The taller bezel is correct, but the real Pre-A's crowns weren't that high. Perhaps the the dials were further away from the crystal than the more contemporary models? I don't know the answer...

I don't agree that the pre-Vendome models (201A, 202A etc) had higher bezels than the current watches. In fact, the reverse is correct. The pre-Vendome cases were 'squarer' in side profile, that is, the corners sat higher but the bezel was, if anything slightly flatter than the later watches. Here is a very good link which illustrates the differences in the cases and it is clear that the 201A case has a bezel similar to the normal rep. If you doubt what I say check it out:

hxxp://www.paneristi.com/archives/casedifferences/index.html (Change xx to tt as usual)

I have normal reps, a Davidsen rep case, Jimmy Fu cases and F & G gens and I can confirm without doubt that the best case for a 201A replica is a normal mainstream rep. These have lugs which are too much rounded and corners that are too high for the current watches but are very close to the preVendome case. In fact my first rep Panerai 005 came with an accurately replicated 201A caseback which carried the number of Mr Yellow's genuine 201A. I would not be surprised if his watch was used as a pattern to manufacture the first generation of rep cases. Drill out the lugs of a normal rep case and use the proper two-screw arrangement and you will have as close a 201A replica case as possible.

Huh. Thanks for the link, PAMman. The pictures in this article: hxxp://www.paneristi.com/archives/PreA_Panerai/Pre_A_Panerai.html

Made it look like the 201A and others have the taller, more steeply angled bezel (albeit without the "step" around the bottom of the bezel), to me at least.

Anyway, thanks. It's obviously been too long since I've read that article about the cases... :black_eye:

Anyway, thanks. It's obviously been too long since I've read that article about the cases... :black_eye:

Hey, don't beat yourself up. Just don't fall for the 'Latest DSN = best' nonsense. It's a really 'cockeyed' case and no justification for it. There is a wealth of good reference material available (I have 150+ 5218/201A photos) and no excuse for producing inaccurate watches.

I pulled the trigger on some parts to upgrade my other pieces and mess about with some dials as I wasn't overly keen on the fill and superlume effect on DSN's version as I don't think it made the most of the CNC engraved indices.

I did these myself.

The new 201a case set is odd - a stylised attempt at pre-vendome maybe but clearly not correct - never the less this is a rep...!!

I will be changing my case set and drilling the lugs as PAMman suggested (thanks)

The new crown is good and the CG is a great effort - really chunky and a good fit to the case but lacking the subtle curvature we all crave.

The 202a is in DSN's old case and I much prefer it overall.

P1010732.jpg

P1010739.jpg

P1010738.jpg

P1010745.jpg

P1010740.jpg

P1010741.jpg

P1010742.jpg

P1010750.jpg

P1010747.jpg

I pulled the trigger on some parts to upgrade my other pieces and mess about with some dials as I wasn't overly keen on the fill and superlume effect on DSN's version as I don't think it made the most of the CNC engraved indices.

I did these myself.

The new 201a case set is odd - a stylised attempt at pre-vendome maybe but clearly not correct - never the less this is a rep...!!

I will be changing my case set and drilling the lugs as PAMman suggested (thanks)

The new crown is good and the CG is a great effort - really chunky and a good fit to the case but lacking the subtle curvature we all crave.

The 202a is in DSN's old case and I much prefer it overall.

P1010732.jpg

P1010739.jpg

P1010738.jpg

P1010745.jpg

P1010740.jpg

P1010741.jpg

P1010742.jpg

P1010750.jpg

P1010747.jpg

Excellent photos of a job well done. BTW, you have a PM.