When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

CEO Angelo Bonati rumoured leaving Panerai...

Victoria

According to reports I've read here and there, the driving force behind the Panerai explosion, Angelo Bonati, Panerai's CEO since 1997 is leaving for the Italo Fontana "U-Boat" company.

bonatiphotovh2.jpg

http://www.uboatwatch.it/main.html

Departure date is apparently set for the rather inauspicious April Fool's Day, 2008.

Oh Mr. Bonati, how can you leave this...

pam127achehc4.jpg

For this?

uboatwatchfb4.jpg

Or, in other words, from Sylvester Stallone to David Beckham. -_-

davidbeckhamuboatjx9.jpg

EDIT BEFORE POSTING: Here is an article on Slate by Richard Cohen slating the U-Boat marque as evocative of Hitler's plaything...

http://www.slate.com/id/2155600/pagenum/2

Mr. Hitler, Do You Have the Time? The despicable U-Boat watch:

"Clearly, I am some sort of fuddy-duddy. The U-Boat watch, created by Italo Fontana, apparently sells well enough for it to go for almost $3,000. But, just as clearly, the name resonates with the people who buy the watch

Italo must be paying him a lotttttttttt of money to go from PAM to helping sell their (IMHO) gaudy trash ...

Absolutely. Just curious -- how much do you think Bonati makes at Panerai?

Also, I'm sure they're banking on Bonati transforming the U-Boat marque into "another" Panerai...

...since apparently, David can't popularise it, like Sly could PAMs. Say what you want about Stallone, but he honoured the marque, as much as made it fashionable. I don't think Beckham can even spell "watch".

(I like him, actually, but come on, he's a fashionista bird brain)

victoriabeckhamqd2.jpg

And just to say that Richard Cohen's scathing judgementalism on U-Boat timepiece owners was MORE than a little redolent of Mr. Ward Churchill.

You remember him: the ex-U of Colorado prof who called Twin Tower workers "Little Eichmanns".

I hope it's just an April fool joke.

I wonder how can one single Italian pay Bonati more than Richemont-Vendome.

I also wonder how can David Beckham wear that watch and be married with Victoria. :lol:

Here is an article on Slate by Richard Cohen slating the U-Boat marque as evocative of Hitler's plaything...

http://www.slate.com/id/2155600/pagenum/2

Mr. Hitler, Do You Have the Time? The despicable U-Boat watch:

"Clearly, I am some sort of fuddy-duddy. The U-Boat watch, created by Italo Fontana, apparently sells well enough for it to go for almost $3,000. But, just as clearly, the name resonates with the people who buy the watch

Edited by TeeJay

If it is true it makes little sense and it would clearly be a loss for Panerai. BUT never underestimate being a part of the Richemont umbrella. Richemont is the premier watch marketing company and at the end of the day we know that watches are as much about marketing as design. As far as I know U-boat is such a low brow company one would have to wonder whether Bonati is leaving for a lot of money, frustrated at not being able to do as he likes as a smaller subsidiary of a much larger company or being asked to transition out. You never know. Too often the man who can drive sales to 50,000 units at a $6,000 average price point is not the man who can sell 100,000 units at $15,000. I have always wondered if the high end models are in fact selling well. The new models appear a little too available from grey market channels in this country and that usually means there is a hiccup.

First and foremost, I hope it is an April Fools joke. :D

i have suspect this long time ago..

i saw so many popular guys with "U-Boat" watch...

this means... that this company spend a lot of $$$$$$ for their marketing. I know that all this popular guys (footballer, actors) would never wear this U-Boat watches without any profit... as they are totaly CHEAP and BAD QUALITY... i saw some on my local AD and the watches looks like plastic? They use MINERAL glass :yucky:

Also saw their new model for $5.000? in a german magazine and was SHOCKED about the movement... it is the most poor Unitas 6497-1 with waffle-design (factory price 45euro) :o ... and no decorations or else... this plain movement in his origin condition????... i know from my supplier that ETA factory can

I hope it's just an April fool joke.

Possibly. The Risti post "disappeared".

Either Guy doesn't want people talking of this, because it's true, but embarrassing to Panerai -- or it really was a hoax.

I wonder how can one single Italian pay Bonati more than Richemont-Vendome.

Well, sometimes moves are also about challenges. :)

I also wonder how can David Beckham wear that watch and be married with Victoria. :lol:

When you're a Metrosexual, anything is possible. :lol:

That's a nice unbiassed piece of writing :lol: I trust he doesn't drive VW cars or eat bratwurst ;)

Ironically, the kind of politics Mr. Cohen has tends leftwards. And VWs are very popular amongst the granola bar-Birkenstock-treehugging crowd. I never understood that.

(Don't worry, I'll be just as naughty in my description, about wingnuts one day)

I wouldnt blame David for not popularizing the U-Boat watches, as, to be fair, they are not an 'easy aesthetic' If he were to wear a different brand of watch, Omega, for example, I'm sure there would be a huge upsurge in their sales.

A fair point. I'm surprised some timepiece company hasn't used him as their spokesman yet.

I notice he is much more into watches since his sojourn at Real and definitely at the LA Galaxy -- two cities which are watch MECCAS. *tease*

Ashley Cole tends to wear Frank Muller watches

Yes, well, we all know about Arsenal players and their "tastes", hello Mr. Dennis Bergkamp and Sol Campbell. ;)

(Yes, I'm still bitter about Sol)

@Kruzer00 and T: Marvellous replies. One full of careful reasoning, the other the same which made me laugh regarding the Casio. Now THAT would be a challenge.

He now plays at Chelsea.. :p

Once an Ar$e always an Ar$e. :o

@Shundi: Another well-reasoned reply, thanks for taking this out of the dregs above. I have to say that I'd be shocked if Bonati earned anything less than $3m Euro per year though. Even with incentives.

Oh I have no doubt that its over 3M I just feel that the Group has made it so the majority of his compensation is incentive/ bonus based so that he continues to make P a powerhouse brand through sales.

Its no trouble to take a look at financials... As a finance major I spend lots of time doing it anyways!!

Edited by Shundi

As much as I love Panerai, lets see; 6497 movement in a stainless steel case, no second hand, plain jane dial with a big ass crown guard, and its a collectors item? Come on people be careful what you are laughing at, you just might be wearing it. And Beckham, who wouldn't want to step in his shoes for a bit, jeeesshh!!

Rogerwine

Ironically, the kind of politics Mr. Cohen has tends leftwards. And VWs are very popular amongst the granola bar-Birkenstock-treehugging crowd. I never understood that.

(Don't worry, I'll be just as naughty in my description, about wingnuts one day)

That's no surprize, afterall, those of leftwards tendencies do so love to throw 'ironic' references to Hitler into an issue to try and make some kind of point. I think the only 'point' they make, is illustrating their inability to form their own arguments without relying on placebo indignation ;)

A fair point. I'm surprised some timepiece company hasn't used him as their spokesman yet.

Probably just a matter of time (no pun intended), but a case of the right company to approach him, as some simply won't fit his lifestyle, others, would be 'out of reach' of his die-hard fans, and we couldn't have a watch company pushing people towards reps, can we ;)

I notice he is much more into watches since his sojourn at Real and definitely at the LA Galaxy -- two cities which are watch MECCAS.

:o

*tease*

^_^:lol:

Yes, well, we all know about Arsenal players and their "tastes", hello Mr. Dennis Bergkamp and Sol Campbell. ;)

(Yes, I'm still bitter about Sol)

It's not so much his tastes which bother me, I just don't like people I care about* being disrespected by their partners.

*Who do you think suggested she get a treble clef tattoo? ;)

I am sure that if Bonati is leaving, U-Boat is giving him a "U-Boat-load" of cash to do it. Panerai is what it is today because of him and I am sure that with his knowledge of the current marketplace and where its heading, he can do the same for U-Boat. I wonder who will succeed him at Panerai?

Agreed.

Speaking of which, when was the last time you were taken up the Ar$enal?

Err...words fail.

Don't worry. I'm not that touchy though. A little bit of me laughed. The other little bit took out the ruler. ^_^

@UncleJay: THANKS! From the horse's mouth himself. You can't get any better than that.