When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Front desk guy at Tires Plus

Dude

@Predfan: Incredible -- they sell Omegas at Costco?? I should stop hanging around the Babel Tower-sized paper towels. BTW, I believe it. One of my condo porters wears a gen Sub. He got it at a pawn shop, but I told him where to get it serviced at an AD.

Yup...my Costco sells Rolex, Baume & Mercier, Oris, Tissot, and have had the occasional Omega in. Mind you, they are not carrying full lines and cannot do special orders...they get what they get...and what they get is on display.

As to the Tire guy...if he owns the franchise, he might well be wearing a gen. There are people who are working the front on restaurants that serve $6 lunches that are wearing gold Rollies, I would believe they are gens given the success of the restaurant.

I should really let a Canadian answer this, but that's never stopped me from putting my oar in before. :p

No.

canadian_tire_store.jpg

As a veteran of many a Hockey Night in Canada Saturday night, I can tell you, almost every telly advert is a Canadian Tire one. Sheesh.

They make it seem like Home Depot, Wal-Mart, and Disney World all joined together (the other telly adverts are all Tim Horton's).

@TeeJay: Soooo. Now we know why you REALLY wear reps. :o;)

@Predfan: Incredible -- they sell Omegas at Costco?? I should stop hanging around the Babel Tower-sized paper towels. BTW, I believe it. One of my condo porters wears a gen Sub. He got it at a pawn shop, but I told him where to get it serviced at an AD.

LOL @ post.........

and Costco also sells Rolex's too

I must say that I have to agree with Narikaa on his point that some of the popular gens are not ball breaking to aquire :)

I'm of Indian descent... and the ONE watch you will see almost everyone wearing who does this is a RADO.

Now I understand, my co-worker from Pakistan has a Rado, which just seemed like a weird watch to own considering he's in his 20s.

If I didn't have kids, mortgage, childcare bills I could comfortably afford probably 2 or 3 gens a year. Not now :mellow:

I'm thinking of selling some of my vintage bass gear to fund a gen watch, since I'd wear it everyday and don't play the vintage equipment much. But I'm in no rush, I'm enjoying my DSN112 everyday :rolleyes:

I think we all make choises. If you work ( that the most people do) you can save or have a loan.

So what do you do with the money?

Buy 2 gens? 10,000 euro? Or buy a good car for yourself and wife and your childeren? ( and buy a 150 euro rep) :)

Important s that you enjoy every minute of your life.

Carpe Diem! Live your Life

Edwin

Edited by Edwin25

This story reminds me of when I was at the shoe dept. in Nordstroms and EVERY shoe salesman had a rolex on. I saw a seadweller, "vintage" GMT I, Sub (obviously), DJ, and someone had something that looked like a PAM from afar. Now, I can see if 1 had a gen, fine. But the 2 guys I asked about thier watches both said they were old. Problem is, the dweller had no holes and it was definitely not 20 years old like he said, and the GMTs lume looked like mustard paint. I'm not knocking them, that would be retarded, but it seems more likely that one of the salesman has an insider or is a member of one of these boards. These weren't junk but not real either.

And BTW, if you're going to try to pass your rep off as real by saying "oh, yes its real, but its old" make sure you're not wearing something that would be worth more than a new one.

Either way it does not matter if it is a gen or rep. More important is the clerk himself. IF the clerk is wearing a gen, why challenge him or take away from his pride of ownership. If it is a rep, give him the chance to tell you on his own. Just admire the beauty of the watch and make a new friend. Honor the person not the possession. I personally own both reps and gens and tell anyone admiring a rep that it is a rep. I enjoy letting them know I am a smart shopper and know and wear beautiful watches.

This story reminds me of when I was at the shoe dept. in Nordstroms and EVERY shoe salesman had a rolex on. I saw a seadweller, "vintage" GMT I, Sub (obviously), DJ, and someone had something that looked like a PAM from afar. Now, I can see if 1 had a gen, fine. But the 2 guys I asked about thier watches both said they were old. Problem is, the dweller had no holes and it was definitely not 20 years old like he said, and the GMTs lume looked like mustard paint. I'm not knocking them, that would be retarded, but it seems more likely that one of the salesman has an insider or is a member of one of these boards. These weren't junk but not real either.

Hey, the female shop assistants at my local Nordstrom's (Merrick Place in Coral Gables) also wear pricey watches. My mum said one older Cuban lady's gold Ebel obviously looked fake, but I dunno. Now that I buy my mother reps, she thinks everyone's watch is fake. :)

There are two watches that I doubt instantly are fakes in Miami -- Rolexes and Bvlgaris. I've heard stories of ladies holding the equivalent of Tupperware parties at their friends' homes, who deal in these low-end reps.

Given your description, llsteve80, I think you're right to doubt them. Again, I'm going more by their reaction than your description of their watches.

"Old" is just not a legit response, especially if both used it. It sounds vague and nervous.

CBR and the tyre guy went on the offense in their replies. Cocky, even. When you have truth on your side, it shows.

Yup...without childcare costs, I could buy a Fiddy and a handful of Subs every year...or enough reps to...to...keep up with Lady V. ;)

I was wondering when it might dawn on people that I have no mortgage, no car/insurance payments, no kids, and therefore, am as free as a bird to buy straps and reps 'til the cows come home (with the wage I earn as a freelance writer)!

Well, I was supposed to buy a new car in February. I'll be cash-STRAPPED when I do. Might have to sell tyres. ^_^

Yup...my Costco sells Rolex, Baume & Mercier, Oris, Tissot, and have had the occasional Omega in. Mind you, they are not carrying full lines and cannot do special orders...they get what they get...and what they get is on display.

As to the Tire guy...if he owns the franchise, he might well be wearing a gen. There are people who are working the front on restaurants that serve $6 lunches that are wearing gold Rollies, I would believe they are gens given the success of the restaurant.

Yeah, i noticed that too - costco had cartier, omegas, etc. it doesnt come with a manufactured warranty, but i dont think it matters with costco - if u can take a computer back and return it for a refund after using it for 1 year w/ no questions asked, the watch is well taken care of :)

Weird thing is i told my uncle this that the omega he bought doesnt come with a warranty from the manufacturer. he was miffed. came back with the warranty card - i unfortunately had to tell him a blank warranty card doesnt count.

OH, out here in the bay area, i have noticed clerks at liquor stores wearing gen rollies. Some owners, some are sons of the owners. Some clerks are kids of rich parents. Others have saved up (like me - i'm a poor artist, but i saved up for a gen PO).

i know folks who save what they can and buy a gen when they can. one guy has 3 gen rollies within a span of 10 years - saving money enough to buy a rollie every 3 years!

there's also installments/pay as you go.

i know folks who save what they can and buy a gen when they can. one guy has 3 gen rollies within a span of 10 years - saving money enough to buy a rollie every 3 years!

Yup. Considering a used sub in good condition can be had for around $3,500, that's just over $1,000 per year...or just under $100 per month...or under $5 per day...easily manageable by most people.

If you CHOOSE to not do this, that's one thing. If you CAN'T manage that...you shouldn't be buying luxury watches.

good point if the franchise owner n his franchise are doing well then the luxuries of life can be had very easy ... there is Wendy's Int'l franchise owner in the next town over from where i reside and after expenses, administrative payments to the corporate office and the such clears north of $50,000/week. i always kid the owner that serving frosty's and singles has it's rewards ... this guy also tools around in a mercedes 500s and maibach sedan ... so life for him is GREAT ... now if you saw, met or did not know of his good fortune you're thinking gotta be doing something on the side that DEA/ATF/INS are gonna look into

Yikes! I spelled it wrong. COSTCO! Shows how long it's been since I've been in there!

I almost bought my first gen SMP there but found a good deal on eBay. As some of you may remember me saying, I sold it on eBay and ended up buying it back a year later not even knowing it was mine. The seller and I both got a chuckle out of that. I guess I should have kept it but I threw it back on eBay. Now guess what my next rep is going to be? Yep a Bond SMP for old time sake. Thanks to the dropping dollar a rep is all I can afford right now :cry: