When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Thinking of a gen

FxrAndy

Now dont all think i havewone the lottery this is some thing i will have to save hard for and get rid of some other assets. This will be some thing that i hope will still be in the family years to come and hold its value. It has to have an in house movement, no ETA or modded ETA, i have lots of them, and has to fit my style and life style, i think Patek is out! top price maybe

IMO, you should purchase a SD. The famed design has withstood the test of time (40+ years?) and has been imitated by so many. It still is the same faithful size after so many trend changes and I think the design is still here to stay for now, the future, and forever.

Andy,

As you preset the choices, no surprise. SeaDweller !!!

If you are short on the choices, can I suggest the only manufacture that NEVER used any non inhouse mvts: JLC.

They provided all the other ones (Patek and so on) but never used a foreign one themselves.

They currently have some serious "sports" models available.

Enjoy Andy...enjoy.

Cheers

Stephane

The pam is a bit over the price limit but i have a gun, lol,

The Ingy has also stood the test of time, one of the negatives with the rolex is akways the "is it real" questions and after lots of reps i would be a bit of a hipocrit smacking every one that asked.

I am Looking at JLC now to see what they have.

LV Sub no doubt about it. I got mine before the latest price increase and I love it. I believe the new AD list is $6300.00 !!! I have heard they may stop making it and I have heard they may make less of them and I have heard they may go to a poured ceramic bezel and supercase. Regardless to me there is nothing like a gen Rolex whether it be Sub, Yachtie, GMT or Sea Dweller. (just got my SSD rep today by the way to join my 4 genuine Rolexes, so far it feels right at home). Bottom line is you can never go wrong with a Genuine Rolex and as much as Panerai has been popular for the past 10 years or so you will never ever have to worry about a Rolex being the flavor of the day or trendy. And talk about in house, you can be assured that every bit of a Rolex is made in the enormous green glass building in the Alps that says Rolex on it. Even Audemars can't make that claim nor can Patek. Rolex brother Rolex all the way, Panerai make for nice reps but will never see my money for a gen. My gen Ken's Trading RXW MM 20 fits my Pam kick very well.

I'd not recommend either the Ingy or the SD.... While I LOVE the Ingy as an everyday watch, the rep with AR, lume, and Lello wheel is just too good for ~$500 USD. The big Ingy reps will probably be out this year, too. The SD, on the otherhand is one of those watches whose novelty will soon wear off, IMO.

I might consider a 97%+ used Ingy chrono. The secs at 6 rep isn't very desirable. And, of course, there are many a PAM I'd consider in your price range. :)

I like that reverso!!! For a dress watch and some thing to look at during a boring speach that would be nice! why cant we have a good rep of that?

Because !

Much to complicated probably.

But, a JLC (and for sure with several complications) is as good as a Patek...maybe not in term of investment but what a watch.

That Reverso Squadra Home time has it all: dressy, complicated, sporty, easy and unique in fact. No external pieces, all in house...

41qmrRdUWUL._SS500_.jpg

Loved it, ever since I saw Gad Elmaleh wearing it in Hors De Prix.

hors-de-prix-thumb.jpg

Amazon has it for almost U$7k.

http://www.amazon.com/Jaeger-LeCoultre-Com...0/dp/B000ZMB46C

Jomashop bests them by 200 dollars.

http://www.jomashop.com/jaeger-le-coultre-...ic-1718470.html

JLC is a watch for classy men, like you, FxrAndy. The rest, with respect are either too common, or too easily repped (with the exception of the 010).

i'll cast my vote for the jlc as well.

i initially fell for the squadra reverso hometime that stephane suggested above, but after trying one on the bigger square squadra line feels too large on the wrist for a dress watch. additionally, the reverso line is known for their rectangular designs; i figure when buying a classic watch like this, it's better to stick to the original design (i can see the square squadra designs coming & going, whereas the classic rectangular reverso case will likely stand the test of time).

if you like having choices, the jlc reverso grande gmt has the most complications & the choice of silver or black dial:

reversogmttz6.jpg

personally, i'm not a huge fan of the black dial, so i like the reverso grande date a little better (i like how you get to see the double barrel movement) :wub:

reversodatebothsidesjs8.jpg

just my $0.02 of course :)

deltatahoe

with all due respect to my compatriot Stephane

:)

Screw rolex - get a real collectors watch - Go UN

http://www.watchesandbeyond.com/item.asp?model=353-66-314

353-66-314.jpg

I second that (sorry Stephane ;) )

You're a collector, get a collector watch (and a SSD also, but go for a rep on this one)

But isn't Ulysse Nardin too much of a safe bet? I mean, as collector, shoud'nt we be looking for risky investments in promising ventures? (did I mention I work for web-startups ;-) )

My next gen choice would be one of these :

selene-b.jpg

grandprix-spider-click.jpg

astraios-1t.jpg

Martin Braun has recently joined Franck Muller Group ( who's creative genius, Mr Franck Muller, is sadly not working there anymore) and is the new creative guy there!!

/http://www.martinbraunusa.com

Rolex for sure -

but if only one watch, not the Seadweller.

i would go for an classic Submariner with date or the old GMT-Master II.

the best investment would be vintage (all tritium with box and papers)

these watches you can wear daily everywhere with everything.

but personally i would (not anymore ;) ) put so much money in a gen watch.

better put the money in something really nice like a house next to the sea :)

cheers,

Frank