When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Going back to school

llsteve80

I've been thinking of this for a while now, and I have finally comitted. I am going back to college. I should say starting since I've only taken 2 courses, but hey.

I told my father and he said I'm too old and lauged. WTF? I'll be 28 next month big deal. I work for my dad and my job SUCKS ebay used to be a good source for extra cash, but that sucks too, and it's harder and harder to find things for less than I can sell them for anyway.

I got a DUI 7 F-ing years ago and they still won't give me my license back so if I go to a university for 4 years at least I won't need it for that amount of time.

I go take the ACT on Apr 12th, and the score is being sent to Norther Illinois University. I went to the admissions office last week and all I need to get in is a 23. I took 3 practice tests and I had 2 31's and a 32. I just need to polish up on trig and calc and I'm good.

I had a near perfect score on my GED so I assume I'll be getting a good score on my ACT as well. The GED was back in 2003 BTW.

I started off as a cocky dumbass earlier in life but I'm now trying to get what I deserve and am capable of. I'm pretty excited that it's all coming together and I can't wait.

Llsteve80, best of luck, behind your decision 100% -- and don't worry about your dad.

Fathers often have these reactions (mothers usually are more supportive). I'm not suggesting this is true of him, because I don't know him, but I once heard Karl Lagerfeld say that his favourite observation is:

"The best moment in a man's life, is when he notices his son is mediocre"

You're lucky you live in America, where going to back to college ain't-no-thing. In the State of Florida, we have over 2000 Universities, colleges, and institutions of higher learning alone. ONE STATE in 50. That's more than all of the UK combined. Sure, they're not all Oxford or Cambridge, but they aren't Open University either.

Some Community Colleges here even duplicate the full 4-year-campus experience very nicely. Miami Community College, Kendall campus has sororities, fraternities, and a huge, leafy campus. U of Miami it's not, which is like a country club, but for $30-something dollars per credit, who's quibbling?

Best of luck again! Don't let anyone interrupt your dreams. :)

GO SALUKIS! (Oops, they're Huskies. Oh well, I just like saying Salukis)

Thanks everyone. I'm so busy getting everything together. Deadline is a while away, but I missed the priority deadline. I should still be OK though.

Funny thing- when I went to the admissions office last week, I met up with my brother and I was going to just go back to his apt but he said F it, just go to class with me. So I did. Later I realized that it was amazing how 3 weeks ago there was a shooting by someone who wasn't a student, and I could just walk into a class and sit down without being asked any questions. WTF.

I live near a college... or as we call it where I live... a Uni. And there are GIRLS, GIRLS, GIRLS!!!!

Have fun!

and 25% of them are only 18! Don't know if thats good or bad though. Leaning towards good.

PS You don't deserve your license back after a DUI, but you seem to realize that. ;)

Ouch I hope you're kidding.... I was 20, just a baby come on. I don't think people who crash and kill someone should get it back. Ever.

That's the way it should be.:)

True, school shouldn't be a prison. I was a little surprised though. Then again, lightning never strikes the same place twice so I guess everyone felt OK.