When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rollie SD with a few mods, what do you think? Rep? Gen?

RWG Technical

All I have for metal working is a Dremel...

On the Daytona I just did, I had no choice but to machine the inside of the case with the Dremel and a cut-off wheel. Doing this under a loupe no less, with a 30,000 RPM wheel is very difficult and unforgiving, one slip and the case is ruined. I was not prepared to risk damaging the rehaut in an effort to get the movement to fit the case. So I came up with a solution I have used in the past, modify the movement instead...

Yes, this is what I had to do with 1 of the DW Daytonas. Not only difficult, but dangerous since tiny metal shards are flying around your eyes at very high speed. Even with eye protection, still a pretty nasty task. During the work around the rehaut, I thought I had killed the case. But after filing & sanding down the rough spots & installing the movement, it all looks perfect. Unless you use a loupe & know exactly where around the rehaut the problems were, you cannot see anything. It is kind of amazing that the damage you see through a loupe, caused by dremeling, is often completely invisible to the naked eye when you put everything back together, even at close inspection

62410071.jpg

Ziggy -- That makes sense. I assume the outer ring you are referring to is this 1 (you removed the 3 screws in the red circles)

1570datering.jpg

I will have to give that a try if I have problems getting the 1570 to fit my MBW case.

Thanks, and again, great work as usual.

That is the ring I removed and made smaller in diameter, good solution considering the other options.

Since it's not my watch and I really can't tell what is or isn't genuine, the hands who knows???...they fit the movement perfectly that much I know.

Overall I think it's a great piece, and certainly wouldn't have an issue owning or wearing it :)

Keep in mind the size of the pictures, unless your the bionic man, you ain't gonna see this much detail anyway...(or was that the bionic woman with the eyes...)...

RG

WOW is all I can say really impressed with The Zigmeister's work. He does one fine job. This is the product of 7 month of hunting for the right parts at the right time. All the parts came from ebay Where else anyway. I choose to send it to The Zigmeister because there are some things that I would not be able to do.

I can do crown guard and lug holes and since I need it someone to install the movement may as well do the whole thing.

For those who wants to know here is the parts list

Aftermarket Insert. Have a better one here at home waiting to be swapped once that baby is back into my hands

Clark's hands

MBW 1665

GEN 580

GEN Bracelet

Aftermarket Spring bars not that I care much (if someone has some Gen for sale let me know)

GEN Crystal

1570 Movement

GEN Crown

Aftermarket tube

This project requires a fare amount of money and I could collect more part to make it more accurate. But I decided to stop here because after all at the end is still a rep, no matter how many Gen parts I installed it still will be a rep.

I will be very interested on get that HE valve fixed; I will contact The Zigmeister before he sends the watch to me.

But I decided to stop here because after all at the end is still a rep, no matter how many Gen parts I installed it still will be a rep.

I will be very interested on get that HE valve fixed; I will contact Ziggy before he sends the watch to me.

I beg to disagree with you -- that ain't no stinking rep.....it is a franken, which is a very different animal. And, yes, get that HEV done. At this level, it would be criminal not to.

Guest avitt

It'd be very difficult to pull off a working Hev upgrade like yours, freddy333. For one thing, it would be hard to source the necessary parts. It's a lot easier (and cosmetically just as effective) to simply drill into (but not through) the case, and fill the hole with a bit of polished ss rod. I believe this was the technique introduced by repaustria.

Edited by avitt

Guest avitt
A bit expensive ($218), yes, but sourcing is easy. You can pick up all of the necessary HEV parts here. If you are going to go through the trouble of breaking out the drill & drill bits, why not do the job right?

Well, in my case, it's because a Helium escape valve would never be needed, and drilling an extra hole in the case just adds another potential leak opportunity. But I wear my SD in the water. I might feel differently if it stayed dry all the time.

I beg to disagree with you -- that ain't no stinking rep.....it is a franken, which is a very different animal. And, yes, get that HEV done. At this level, it would be criminal not to.

Thanks for the information. it looks like this a never ending search. I will wait until the watch is back into my hands to decide if I want to go this way, I still would like to have a Gen insert and top it off with a working HE valve. I really doubt that anyone will be able to tell the difference and by anyone I mean ordinary people not freak like we are. :p

The amount of money spent on this baby is getting pretty close to a Gen No date submariner and it may go over if I go overboard.

Regards

• 1 month later...

L,

This is how it actually looks now, it has a better Insert and is Perfect I can only ask for a Gen Dial but to tell you the true I am very happy with this creation as it is, the only think I will change is the insert for a Gen one.

• 2 weeks later...