When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Daytona with some upgrades, can you spot them?

RWG Technical

Kind of hard to hide this part, I love these El Primero's a clear caseback would be so nice. The sound of a 36,000 BPH, 10 ticks and tocks per second on the timing machine is something to be heard...simply amazing.

3.jpg

Thanks for looking.

RG

Yours seems different than mine (not meaning rotor), are there many versions of el primero?

dsc0007ev2.jpg

Very nice RG, you're becoming more of a Rolex man slowly but surely!

That's a nice shot of the Tag, Iceberg, I didn't realize they used the zenith movement.

It's the Link Calibre 36, TAG's flagship model that uses the El Primero.

PS: Great job mr. Z... once again! Funny thing that for the first time I noticed how the coronet is positioned on the ELP Daytona dial. Never spotted that before, even though I've seen Ubis pictures so many times.

As I just re-read the initial title, I can also attest that the dial is not genuine.

1.jpg

Compared to genuine:

202_0299.jpg

206_0630.jpg

IMG_2263a.jpg

The differences?

-The shape of the coronet at 12:00 is different.

-The lume recesses on the markers/indicies are much thinner on genuine.

-Fonts are different between the two. Genuine is much crisper, and precise.

-Subdial rings are slightly beige-ish on the genuine, with the fonts slightly thicker.

-The black dial itself is actually a metallic dark brownish-grey in person. This is difficult to capture in pics, but very apparent to the eye, especially under sunlight.

-SWISS MADE is slightly too large, and in silver font.

In all actuality, the non-genuine dial is the one that is provided with the case kit as standard. The back does have the correct markings, however lacks the trademark 'finish' that I have come to know with genuines.

Not a bad dial, though I am sure that the owner will want to swap to genuine sooner or later (the difference, once seen is amazing). None the less, still a very nice watch!

:)

And now I know why I will never buy a daytona. I would have no idea what I am buying. :lol:

You know that I'm always more than happy to help you, kruz. Just a phone call away... :)

Zig- The subtel details can oft times be difficult to spot. I'm familiar with the differences as I have both the gen dial and the same dial you have in hand, so comparing both side by side makes it especially easy :)

Hi Ziggy,

Love the watch, :wub:

Thank you very much.

Dial and hands were sold to me as Gen parts.

I'm not an expert only an amateur.

Sad, The bay is not a safe place to buy these parts :bangin:.

Again, Ziggy. Thank you.

You are very welcome as always...

Not good to see that the dial and hands are not genuine, but the dial fit perfectly on the El Primero, and had all the markings on the back etc... whatever it is, it fits perfect.

Still working perfect, ready to go on the date you requested. Safe travels.

RG

Is this the standard daytona rep case for mimicking the older primero daytona - or does one have to buy a special case. Ubi - you are the expert on this right?

I seem to remember that MBW made a more genuine case or something like that.

The case needed a lot of machining to get the movement to seat in it correctly.

Dial fit perfect, but the movement would not fit down as far as it should in the case, I had to Dremel the inner edge to get it to fit.

RG