When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My First Rolex Projects

UncleJay

Well, I may not be in the same league ... but this is my first attempt. Got the 5500 on eBay and the other parts from NDT. The case came with the standard bezel insert, so I've ordered the "plain" insert. ND shipped this dial but I had ordered a 2 line gilt/glossy dial. This dial is not glossy as my 5512 dial, so is this not glossy? I also feel that the crown is a bit loose. I was gifted a 6mm crown (thanks Rob) but it fits a little loose in the case's tube. What can be done?

The 5500 case will later get the over polished gold fluted bezel and gold crown replaced with steel. I will also add a NOS Rolex factory bezel and the Rolex/Tudor Explorer dial pictured. Advise is sought from all, please share you thoughts.

post-8676-1207357814_thumb.jpg

post-8676-1207357824_thumb.jpg

post-8676-1207357831_thumb.jpg

post-8676-1207357840_thumb.jpg

post-8676-1207357847_thumb.jpg

post-8676-1207357856_thumb.jpg

post-8676-1207357868_thumb.jpg

post-8676-1207357877_thumb.jpg

Uncle Jay, you should have gotten a tube with the crown... it was screwed together lightly so they should have stayed together... or are you saying that the tube is too small for the hole already in the case?

You can 'lume' and varnish the sub dial to improve it's feel...

LOVE the Tudor dial and hands...

Nice to see ya Rob, hope things are getting better. THANKS again for the crown/tube, you're the best! Your tube and crown are a perfect fit, but the crown doesn't seal when pushed into the existing tube, but does screw down. Is there a larger crown that will fit the tube or case I have? BTW, NDT will be replacing the dial to a GG dial ..... but I have to say the matte dial looks really cool. What do you think?

5512 Gilt/Glossy

DSC00138.jpg

5508 Gilt/Glossy?

A2.jpg

PAM0024 Production (satin) and Prototype (Glossy) dials

DSC00101.jpg

Is that a 6mm crown? It looks like it in the pictures. You need a 5.3mm crown for that case.

Maybe you have a new style crown for old style tube? The new style crown is for 5.3mm tube. Please show a picture of the crown in the tube if you can. That might be why it is loose. You will need a crown that is thicker for the old style tube.

Is that a 6mm crown? It looks like it in the pictures. You need a 5.3mm crown for that case.

Maybe you have a new style crown for old style tube? The new style crown is for 5.3mm tube. Please show a picture of the crown in the tube if you can. That might be why it is loose. You will need a crown that is thicker for the old style tube.

I put a 6mm crown and tube on my 5508 from NDT. And that is the correct one. I did have to tap the case hole and I used the 24-603 crown and tube. The 5.3mm tube is smaller so it won't fit the case hole. Old style 6mm crowns are different from the new style ones so you have to use the correct corresponding tube. Also, you do have an o-ring in the crown? Otherwise it won't seal.

Uncle Jay,

That is why I sent you the set.. you'll have to turn the old tube out of your case and install the tube that is with the crown... which may mean a retap for the case tube hole... everything is there with that set except for the small gasket that seals the tube to the case... which should be about 3.3mm and semi-flat.

you definitely need a 5.3mm crown for that case, that is what that case calls for. It would require a 5.3mm tube as well, and yes, if you are missing the gasket, your crown will wobble in the tube.

Check this chart: Case Ref 5500 calls for crown 24-530-0. A modern 6mm crown (24-603-0) for 5.3mm tube will fit, but it does look too big for you case, don't you think? Just google 5500 images and you will see. You need the 5.3mm crown.

530.jpg

Ok, now I am a little less confused...

I sent the 6mm crown and tube for the NDT 5508 case, that crown won't fit the 5500's tube, but if you wish to use it on the 5500, the old tube needs to come out and the 'new' one needs to go in...

I think I might have a 5.3mm crown for the 5500...

Rolex Roy is all wet and is throwing out model numbers which are totally incorrect. I found + crowns on early subs- 6204 and 6205 and the first 6538 from 1955. 5508 is definitely a 6mm crown like POTR says. There is a lot of misinformation on the bay and you have to watch out.