When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

OK I want to build a Franken 16520.

Guest Sql_pl

Guest Sql_pl

Quite unexpectably I got a gen 16520 Bezel yesterday.

First thought was to try to fit it on a rep 116520 as I already have a gen 116520 dial for such project.

But member marsupilami said it won't work as there are some differences in dimensions.

OK so let's rock and build a full 16520 Franken then!

So here are my questions:

- Is there a chance to get gen case or I should go for MBW EL Primero Case thet George sells?

- If I go for George's set - what is included in such set and what is a ballpark figure it sells for? I know I should have asked George and I already did but he is not fast with answers and I just want to know as much as possible as fast as possible :)

- Right now I am negotiating with owner of this dial:

L1000664.jpg

L1000666.jpg

Do you think it is 100% gen and not a redial? How much do you think is a fair price for such dial?

Where can I get hands, crystal, endlinks and bracelet? Are there aftermarket hands that fit el primero?

What donor is the best to get elprimero from? Movado Datron? There is one listed right now that I may buy...

I'd really appreciate your help!

Thanks!

THE man to ask on this would be Ubiquitous (he has built two of these projects, and they are simply beautiful), he would be one of the resident experts. It does appear that the dial you pictured is an original Rolex dial and not a re-dial, the re-dial ones differ slightly in the color of the subdial rings (the original Rolex ones are more cream color than bright white and their numbers are a little bolder as well) and the coronet at 12 looks correct on the pic you posted. I had seen the for sale ad for this dial and I think the asking price is very good comparing with what they sell for on Ebay. If I had the cash, I may have snapped it up myself. I also want to build one of these but the cost of the project is a little out of my reach right now. Good luck with this project, keep us posted with pictures!!

Cheers B)

Guest porsche356a

That Dial is GENUINE. The back coloring and markings are correct. It is a later model Luminova El Primero 16520 Daytona dial.

I have a Gen Case I purchased a while back cos I was going to build one of these, but in the end, I was able to purchase a Gen TT for about $5k, and abandoned the project. So I have all these parts available. Let me know if you are interested.

IMG_1621.jpg

IMG_1622.jpg

IMG_1623.jpg

IMG_1618.jpg

IMG_1620.jpg

Here's my Gen

IMG_1550.jpg

Maciek,

The dial in your pics, as porsche mentioned, is 100% correct and genuine. Nice dial; the pics really don't do the black dial any justice. The finish isn't actually gloss black like the 16610, etc; rather, it's a bit of a dark, metalic flake grey/brown. Has to be seen in person to fully appreciate :) But it's a beauty, and one of my all time favorites (I prefer the black over the white 16520 for character; the white, however is so crisp and clean... That said, I had to build one of each :) ).

Sounds like porsche356a might have a solution for you as far as casing goes. Otherwise, I'm not certain what your other options are; I don't think the aftermarket cases are offered any longer via the old sources...

Guest Sql_pl

@porsche356

PM sent. :)

@Randy

Thanks for your advices. If you didn't create these two of yours to show it's possible I guess we wouldn't have any of these around and now there are like 4 or five in total I guess?

@all

Dial is mine :)

Maciek !

i share ure enthusiasm and hope for the best ... pls keep us updated im so interested how u will be getting on with this project ...

I never was a daytona fan but since i tried Stephan's white dial noob Daytona ... i keep looking at that picture from the Bruselss GTG.

The 7750 drama is keeping me away from it i wonder what kinda expense u gonna end at with this at the end .

God speed !

LAZ

I'm not certain what your other options are; I don't think the aftermarket cases are offered any longer via the old sources...

I think I saw a 16520 aftermarket case set on ioffer a couple of weeks ago. Do not quote me on this, but I think the price was $1,495 & I do not know who the seller was. It was around the time I posted in another thread about a NOS Ebel 134 (same base movement as in the 16520) on ebay with a buy it now price of $1,380 (260227295721). Amazingly, it did not sell, so the seller reposted it & it sold the 2nd time. Hopefully, it went to a good RWG home.

That looks like an exciting and amazing project and I would be all over it if I had the opportunity.

I'm curious as to why there is no serial number on the case?

Stolen watch parted out? I'm not judging here if that is the case, but I couldn't imagine the feeling if it was my watch that was stolen. Especially if it was my "grail" watch and I saved, and saved, and saved, so I could buy it. I'm sure it was insured, but it would take a very long time to replace... and many more years on the waiting list.

IMG_1623.jpg

Yeah, I've checked out a few of my serials on cases before. One came back as a serial not matching the case number. Couldn't figure that one out. Fake case? Re-stamped case? Rolex pulling my leg? Only other problem I had, was a dial not matching the case/serial.

That looks like an exciting and amazing project and I would be all over it if I had the opportunity.

I'm curious as to why there is no serial number on the case?

Stolen watch parted out? I'm not judging here if that is the case, but I couldn't imagine the feeling if it was my watch that was stolen. Especially if it was my "grail" watch and I saved, and saved, and saved, so I could buy it. I'm sure it was insured, but it would take a very long time to replace... and many more years on the waiting list.

Im not sure of its origins, but I purchased it from a TRC member a few years ago.

I thought that was just a photoshop? It's really not there? Not judging either if it isn't there. I just came to a different conclusion seeing the pic than stilty did.

Guest Sql_pl

Ok so it looks like I already found:

- Dial

- Case set

- Movement

What's missing is a bracelet and set of hands.

If there is a person who would be able to help me to obtain these pieces, please let me know.

Thanks!

Ok so it looks like I already found:

- Dial

- Case set

- Movement

What's missing is a bracelet and set of hands.

If there is a person who would be able to help me to obtain these pieces, please let me know.

Thanks!

Is this exciting or what :D

keep the updates going M !

Regards Laz

Guest Sql_pl

Quick update.

I already bought ALL parts needed to finish the watch.

They are all on the way or soon to be shipped so we are getting close to the grand finale!

It would not be possible to collect all these parts without this forum and its great members.

Details later when I will be showing a ready product.

Thanks!