When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Newer 7750 with seconds at 6 o'clock

Tim

I haven't been keeping up with this subject, but are the new 28800 beat Asian 7750 any better with the seconds at 6 issue? I knew the older Asian 7750 were crap but I wanted t to know if it was safe yet to buy a Daytona rep.

-T

The problems relating to the secs at 6 7750 has nothing to do with whether it is Swiss or Asian-made or whether it is a 3rd or 1st gen movement. The problem relates to the lack of jeweling used for the extra gearing added to relocate the subdial functions to match the gen watches. Until/unless the factories redesign the basic movement to incorporate additional jewels for the extra gearing, it does not matter which version you use -- they all suffer from the same problem. The only known treatment is powdered graphite, which was described in this post from February.

A shame. Seems a simple matter to reorient the movement to bring the second hand down to 6 o'clock. Much like they do with the ETA 6497 with seconds at 9 or 6 o'clock. If all the other parts are the same, I don't see why moving things around the bridges 90 degrees would be a big deal.

They could always go back to the good old days and put the winding stem at 12 o'clock! ;)

-T

Edited by Tim

A shame. Seems a simple matter to reorient the movement to bring the second hand down to 6 o'clock. Much like they do with the ETA 6497 with seconds at 9 or 6 o'clock. If all the other parts are the same, I don't see why moving things around the bridges 90 degrees would be a big deal.

Apart from those pesky chrono buttons ... :p

I have two daytona paperweights. I may try my hand at this fix.

I emailed Jos Nana about the new daytonas he has on his website and he claims to have "no problems from this maker". I may take another chance on one of these.

I just saw that Jos had a Corum Admiral's Cup with running seconds at 3 o'clock in his new watch section. Wonder what that looks like inside!

/Tim

I have two daytona paperweights. I may try my hand at this fix.

I emailed Jos Nana about the new daytonas he has on his website and he claims to have "no problems from this maker". I may take another chance on one of these.

Be careful. It may be your next paperweight. Try to resuscitate your previous daytonas. The tutorial is not so difficult of following.