When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Chinese movement info

Pugwash

http://www.tractionink.com/watch_wiki/

"To timepiece collectors, the rise of Chinese manufacturing capability is both beneficial and frightening. The goal of this wiki is to present a balanced perspective on the global issues which result from the rise of the Chinese watchmaking industry and eventually become a comprehensive resource of Chinese timepiece and movement manufacturers, distributors, and products."

Very good!

Hope this takes off and more contributions flesh it out- the info that's there already is very nicely put together. More data on the less common movements would be really nice...

The 7750 article was interesting - and a bit tantalizing because of the mention of two factories...

(Pug, is that yours?)

(Pug, is that yours?)

I've not added any info to the Wiki yet, but I found out about it when I received an invite to contribute to it, so the creator is aware of my work. ;)

The dilemma is ... do we contribute our knowledge of the replica side to this resource or do we just take the info without giving anything back? I say share, but I'm not too sure how much.

http://www.tractionink.com/watch_wiki/

"To timepiece collectors, the rise of Chinese manufacturing capability is both beneficial and frightening. The goal of this wiki is to present a balanced perspective on the global issues which result from the rise of the Chinese watchmaking industry and eventually become a comprehensive resource of Chinese timepiece and movement manufacturers, distributors, and products."

WOW that was a LOT of good information!!!!!!! :

The dilemma is ... do we contribute our knowledge of the replica side to this resource or do we just take the info without giving anything back? I say share, but I'm not too sure how much.

Indeed, a genVrep dilemma!

I say, that Wiki's have their own life, and their heart beats only at the rate of contribution,

(Although I have not fully researched the Wiki phenomenon.)

With no source, or link to the input, I see that little negative impact can occur.

After all, isn't the mine of info available here, a direct result of contributions from far more accountable sources? Articles/posts or relevant information from these pages, may be linked anyway, so for mine, a contribution of info, for the greater good, may well be better, than links to posts, which just make us more "mainstream".

A question we all need to ponder!

Offshore

Imho, the swiss better be running for cover.

The last time something this big came to pass...quartz watches took them to their knees.

Japan brands have little to lose because much of their production has been in China for years and Seiko (for example) only makes their higher priced low production watches in Japan now.

The swiss however, have a problem...much of their cases, dials, bracelets etc already come from China but they choose to lie about it and keep lowering the "swiss made" standard so that all it takes now to be "swiss made" is a complete Chinese/Japanese etc watch with a couple over priced swiss parts added and the movement stuck in the case and timed in switzerland. Zodiac with a Claro Semag CL888 for example.

A good pic and some info on TZ...

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=msg...0&rid=65913

The only thing swiss watches have to brag about today is the "swiss made" movement while every day the Chinese are creeping up on them, making higher quality movements...

China probably already makes most of the "swiss" cases, bracelets, and dials anyway.

Then the geniuses at swatch decided to cut off a big chunk of the eta movement supply. When they announced it a few years ago...panic! Exactly what they wanted.

Since then, a few other brands have gone online with movements...and the the panic is turning into a yawn. Not what swatch expected, they were looking forward to selling more eta powered omegas, longines, midos, tissots, etc...after all, they are "swiss made". :p

As soon as Sellita (swiss), Sea Gull (China) and a few others go into full production with high quality movements...the eta shortage will be forgotten. (the key words are 'high quality')

They have until 2011 before swatch closes the door and by then the other movement makers should have the bugs worked out.

The catch (as I see it) is if the Chinese try to charge eta prices for low quality movements...they may look like an eta but they have to perform like an eta to make it.

The Venus 175 clone proves the Chinese can make a cheap chronograph that is pretty good and their $900 tourbys prove that the swiss are getting rich by charging $25K to $500K for basically the same thing. Take a China tourby movement, slick the movement up, and stick it in a gold case and Blammo!...same as swiss except for the price and brand name.

Another catch...the Chinese have no brand recognition so they will have to prove themselves by making quality watches with quality movements at reasonable prices. This will not be easy.

Otoh...a $1000 totally reliable mechanical chronographs and a $3000 totally reliable mechanical tourbillion will put them on the map. Look how far they have gone with what they are offering.

This is their chance to stomp the swiss if they do not screw it up.

One thing for sure...they will have to get the dirt and hair out of their movements! :D

Time will tell...

As Carl has worked for a Swiss company for ten years, I would say that whatever the Chinese can do, they should do.

It is now entirely a world market and all must compete on that basis.

The Chinese still have some things to learn. And so do the Swiss.

Carl