When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Reinstitute the Draft?

kosemkamtsan

i think we would never go to war based on lies again if the draft was once again reinstituted. I think that some type of mandatory national service plan should be instituted as well. This would inculcate us to be more aware of politics, and it would force our news programming to become more substantive about national as well as international issues. I partly base this opinion on knowing people in other countries who do have to serve military time after high school, and seeing how knowledgable everyone is on world affairs and how mature the citizenry are. But more importantly, our American culture is more and more disenchanted with politics and government, and this leads to the type of ignorance that allowed ourselves to be swept up in the spectacle of lies and fear that resulted in going to Iraq. Opinions??

Using a sophisticated system of smoke, mirrors and mass hypnosis, Bush, the CIA and the Mossad orchestrated 9-11.

In the ensuing confusion, the Twin Towers were quickly dismantled and sold to the Chinese.

A missile and not a passenger jet hit the Pentagon.

No plane went down in Pennsylvania, and no one was killed.

All of the so-called 'terrorists' are alive and well, living peaceful lives in the Middle East.

Don't ask me how I know this: I dont.

I just believe it.

I'm a total idiot.

as someone who never served - I like Isreal's method

Everyone serves in the armed forces from age 18-20 - just a 2 year gig. - You get a desk job if your not physical like i am.

However, the main problem with youth today is a lack of understanding of the concept of responsibility - until its "too late" and they are on track for life in the slow lane. - I think that would fix this problem.

you could offer an alternative to the armed forces by serving in "Americorp" which was like the peace core but for helping underprivileged in all kinds of stuff. - if the program still exists.

But imagine if we had every 18-20 yr old doing some form of public service - we could change the country.

ryyannon, not sure if you are joking? i saw the planes hit the twin towers with my own eyes. as far as the pentagon and pennsylvania, i've read the different theories and seen many of the documentaries as well. Whether they were missiles or planes, Al-Qaida attacked us and admitted to doing so. But yes, in other ways this is Bush's war and if you read both the biographies and the political sources corroborating them, Bush has spoken of the "political capital" his father wasted when he didn't finish the job in Iraq. Bush says something along the lines of, "if i ever get elected president and i have the chance, i won't waste my political capital, which is what my father did. i'll finish the job my dad should have finished". yikes! Of course Americans would rather just elect someone they feel comfortable having a beer with, rather than a level-headed statesman. grrrrr. I fear this is Rome all over again.

Phoband: i have family in Israel and i agree with your assessment. Actually, it is 3-4 years of service after high school, not 2. Check out Project for a New American Century. it is the group most of the Neocons in Bush's administration belong to and have belonged to for many years. their charter is quite telling with regards to why we may have gone to war. Also, check out the nice list of dignitary members. Includes Cheney, Rummy, Wolfy, Libby and many other wonderful awesome leaders. :lol:

http://www.newamericancentury.org/statementofprinciples.htm

bring it boys. whaddya got?

i did this alot on the old RWG - debates went on for dozens of pages about the war and katrina :)

frankly you don't really want to start :)

- anyway - obama is great in large crowds, but feels uncomfortable in the 1 on 1. not sure why but he does. - Michelle is amazing. Very tall very warm and good with a crowd.

If anyone hasn't read his books, i recommend dreams of my father - he wrote it just out of law school, its about him when he was younger, discovering his roots and dealing with his dad - Who he didn't know - 's death.

i did this alot on the old RWG - debates went on for dozens of pages about the war and katrina :)

frankly you don't really want to start :)

- anyway - obama is great in large crowds, but feels uncomfortable in the 1 on 1. not sure why but he does. - Michelle is amazing. Very tall very warm and good with a crowd.

If anyone hasn't read his books, i recommend dreams of my father - he wrote it just out of law school, its about him when he was younger, discovering his roots and dealing with his dad - Who he didn't know - 's death.

Must miss 'Demsey' in these discussions...huh.... :lol:

Using a sophisticated system of smoke, mirrors and mass hypnosis, Bush, the CIA and the Mossad orchestrated 9-11.

Though I know you're just kidding - you might not be far off. I believe the whole "no-plane" theory is CIA counter intelligence designed to discredit the entire truth movement.

Whether they were missiles or planes, Al-Qaida attacked us and admitted to doing so.

Actually, Al-Qaeda adamantly denied responsibility. The only person who admitted it (on video, of course) was a fat, right handed, BLACK guy dressed as Osama Bin Laden

i'm well aware of the evil empire in politics

I'm with this guy

barakyn3.jpg

Surely you're aware that they all can trace their geneology back to 3 families? You don't have a choice, they just make you think you do.

I'm 100% firmly in favor reinstating the draft, as long as they do it the way Charlie Rangel has proposed: The first kids drafted are the kids and/or grandkids of those in a position to authorize or prosecute the war. Next go the kids from households that make over $500k w/ no student deferments, and on down to the poor who go last.

For guys who don't know, Ryannon is doing the "typical-American" parody thing, but he doesn't get what's so scary it's not the least bit funny, especially if you live in an utterly inconsequential country like, say, France: the people who vote because they'd like to have a BBQ w/ somone are 100%, and I mean 100%, in control of choosing the people who walk the puppies.

For guys who don't know, Ryannon is doing the "typical-American" parody thing, but he doesn't get what's so scary it's not the least bit funny, especially if you live in an utterly inconsequential country like, say, France: the people who vote because they'd like to have a BBQ w/ somone are 100%, and I mean 100%, in control of choosing the people who walk the puppies.

Could you translate this into French?

I just don't get it.

ryyannon: this is not the humor section. people are dying at an alarming rate and many of them are just boys with real guns. Let's not forget about the who knows how many hundreds of thousand now dead Iraqis. I hope to never become as cynical as you seem to be.

The actual death rate for the US Military today are LOWER than most of the COLD WAR. Even the suicide rate as a percentage of the military population is less than half that of the 80's.

The rates for the civilian population in Large US Cities with extreme gun control laws is HIGHER.

Soldiers, Marines, Airmen and Sailors are not the murderers you try to imply with made up numbers of "hundreds of thousands"...

Guest carlsbadrolex

OK... YOU ASKED FOR IT.

Draft= NO

A 2 year commitment by every able bodied person over the age of 18 = ABSOLUTELY YES

The simple fact is, as I was preparing to leave the USMC I saw a DRAMATIC increase in what were typically called "[censored] birds" or "non hackers". This was a direct result of people feeling an overwhelming need to jump on the patriotic bandwagon. Unfortunately, the people who were doing this had no idea what they were signing up for and most of them were either cut from the ranks early or became a detriment to their unit later.

People cannot be forced to do something that they do not believe in. SHOULD THEY feel the need to serve our fine country... YES. Is the govt. going to be able to instill this in them... NOPE.

I would much rather be in a unit that is short ten people than have ten people who didnt want to be there. They simply arent safe.

My sons will both serve. WHY??? Because even at the age of 2 and 3 they understand that they have freedoms because of the blood, sweat and tears of others. And this blood, sweat and tears must be paid back so that THEIR children can continue with the same freedoms.