When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watch arrived - damaged. (with pic)

greg_rfc

My Rolex Daytona rep arrived from Silix today. It's slightly damaged - the white marker at the 8 o clock position has fallen off and is sitting inside the watch.

Should i have a go at fixing it myself? I've never taken a watch apart before but i understand it isn't the hardest 'repair' to do.

Here's a pic of the damage:

358q4wj.jpg

The quality is poor as it is taken on my phone due to me being in work.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

To do a simple job such as taking this apart to fix it, you need the following:

caseback opener

loupe

quality jeweller screwdrivers (not from the hardware store)

experience handling movements - a misplaced finger can effectivly damage or stop the movement from working all together

dust blower

watch paper

tweezers (not eyebrow ones...)

skills at handling small parts and not damaging the dial, trying to hold, and glue this marker back in place, is not easy or simple, especially when you don't have practical experience

rodico

While it looks simple enough, without the correct tooling, skills, experience, and knowledge, the odds of success are not good.

Finding someone who has all the above, locally, is your best and safest option.

RG

I think i'll have to just bite the bullet and send it back then wait for another... :(

It's a bit annoying getting the watch then having to wait even longer for a new one to arrive.

Plus, i think he should pay for the return shipping since it was his mistake - does that sound fair?

I think i'll have to just bite the bullet and send it back then wait for another... :(

It's a bit annoying getting the watch then having to wait even longer for a new one to arrive.

Plus, i think he should pay for the return shipping since it was his mistake - does that sound fair?

Yes it is annoying. This happens...even with other dealers. However, if you can get any dealer to pay for return shipping (even though it's their mistake)...well, you'll be the first. This is the game with reps...buyers have to pay for mistakes, be it in terms of time or return shipping. This is similar to most mail order businesses...not places like Costco...but smaller shops with tighter overhead. Send the product back...wait...and they will ship you a new one.

If you can't handle that...unfortunately, the rep "game" may not be for you. It's aggravating...not fair...but if you read through the thousands of posts here...you'll find this is common experience until you actually build up a sales history and relationship with a dealer.

Contact Silex and request for cross shipping as suggested.....I'm pretty sure he'll agree to it as some of the trusted dealers here do! Shipping to return is on you, sorry to say! But, maybe he'll work it out with you on your next order!

As The Zigmeister said, if you haven't opened a watch before, you might as well not or you could end up with a bad Trophy of your mis-adventure!

Excellent advice from the board as always. I had a similar problem with a Breitling badge that had dropped off in transit..i did open the case and managed to remove the crown and movement..took allot of looking all over these boards to find how to do it mind and there was finger prints all over the dial for weeks before i plucked up the courage to remove the movement again..my advice is to ask yourself one question...are you kakky handed..if the answer to this is yes, i suggest going for it anyway..u will only make the mistake once :)

Just send it back...the shipping was really cheap when I had to send a PO back to the dealer once, like $7 or something.

That said I'd probably do the repair myself soon, since I just spent a ton of money on all those tools hahaha...except for the glue I'd need on the dial ironically.

Just send it back...the shipping was really cheap when I had to send a PO back to the dealer once, like $7 or something.

That said I'd probably do the repair myself soon, since I just spent a ton of money on all those tools hahaha...except for the glue I'd need on the dial ironically.