When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

what do you wear with your watches

blade007

The telling point for me is that he was taking the bus instead of driving a luxury car, appeared to be a student & was wearing not just casual, but non-luxury brand casual....

....I have seen my share of the uber-wealthy when they are 'slumming it', but there is always something about them that belies their true social status & wealth. Based on the original description, my Holmesian gut tells me that this chap was wearing an unexceptional rep that he purchased via a promotional spam email. Nothing more, nothing less.

exactly, that is just the point I was trying to get across before my post started getting taken out of context.

Personally if i had a gen $4000 watch given to me by parents/relative or if i was uber rich, I wouldnt be wearing it to college/uni, especially not with the london mugging/crime rate. And more so I wouldnt be wearing a $4000 watch to college on a bus in london.

We as humans take a lot of influencing/enviornment/sorrounding/association factors into account before beleiving someone/something. A little off topic but an interesting read How to Detect Lies..

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is all a load of crap. There is no way I could explain this if you don't know already, but there is something called "good taste" and those douchebags who wear their designer labels on the outside of their casual clothes don't have it.

As for the watch "matching" the clothes somehow, do you think someone who wears a gen Panerai is thinking "whoa, I better make sure I look rich today so people think my watch is real"? They probably put it on in the morning without thinking twice. Why does someone HAVE to dress a certain way in order to be worthy of a $4000 watch? It really isn't that much money in the scheme of things, and maybe they are trying to do their bit against smog by taking the bus. Further, he wasn't exactly flashing it around making sure everyone took notice.

Guest carlsbadrolex

I am 37 years old and live in Southern California... I dont have enough time to take such trivial things into consideration. I get dressed, I grab a watch, I do what I need to.

We as humans take a lot of influencing/enviornment/sorrounding/association factors into account before beleiving someone/something. A little off topic but an interesting read How to Detect Lies..

wait??...................................dont we all wear fakes?? who are we to judge anyways??

Guest carlsbadrolex
i agree with Carlsbadrolex. he looks like sh*t sometimes but his beachfront house is worth 3 times as much as mine.............. :horse:

Wow, thanks Stan... I think... But she is only worth AT BEST 2.25 x as much as yours now. Gotta love the real estate market!

And YOU are always SEXXY!

Anyway since this topic has drifted kinda into the relms of offtopic duscussion and is hinting on social influencing, social conditioning etc, for anyone interesting in deeper human behavior - here is a really interesting book:

Cognitive and Social Factors in Early Deception

success of a lie depends on the listener believing what you say...

to be successful at lying you need to be aware of what the listener will think-whether they will believe or disbelieve what you say

on that note, It was not my intention to discuss social aspects of wearing a rep or to talk about social conditioing or to analyise anyone's taste in clothing brands or get an estimate of people's spending power.

my reason for starting this thread was simple, to find what what you guys wear with which watch. Taking into account that people have different tastes and styles, it was not to condem or "laugh" at anyone's sense of fashion. Neither was the purpose to complile of list of "which jeans/shirt combo will make me pass my fake {insert watch name here} as a gen".

Its rather simple guys, wear your rep and enjoy it. Whatever you wear it with it doesnt matter. Some will actively make an effort to pass their fake as a gen some wont. Some will beleive that person passing it as a fake is wearing a gen others wont. The guy on the bus might be wearing a gen (who cares), did I beleive it was a gen? No.. Did he make an effort to convince me? no.. Did I know him? no..

so in words of Katherine Tate (british comedian)

"am I bowtha?"

So here is my request to the mods, please lock this thread if you feel.

I am 37 years old and live in Southern California... I dont have enough time to take such trivial things into consideration. I get dressed, I grab a watch, I do what I need to.

How often do you do what you need to on a bus?

The point is that people who can afford the finer (gen) things in life usually carry some of that refinement with them wherever they go (and I still have trouble imagining someone with a gen Pan using public transportation). If you pay attention, there are almost always small hints & giveaways that belie financial status. My daily beater car may be a rust bucket, but there are a couple of "XX Automobile Owner's Club" stickers in the windows that make gen sightings on the occupants' wrists nearly inarguable. If that young-in with the Pan sitting on the London bus had been wearing a pair of Church's shoes or carrying his school books in a Crocodile Skin Italian Attache Briefcase or gabbing to his friends via a Diamond Crypto Smartphone or something like that, my impression might be totally different.

Guest carlsbadrolex
How often do you do what you need to on a bus?

Actually just last week my 3 year old son (who fancies public transportation for some reason) took a bus ride/train ride from Carlsbad to San Diego. I was wearing ripped jeans, flip flops, a t-shirt, a baseball cap, a diaper bag, and a genuine Rolex 16613. I basically looked like a lower middle class trailer park manager.

The simple fact is I wear watches because I like the mechanics...

Actually just last week my 3 year old son (who fancies public transportation for some reason) took a bus ride/train ride from Carlsbad to San Diego. I was wearing ripped jeans, flip flops, a t-shirt, a baseball cap, a diaper bag, and a genuine Rolex 16613. I basically looked like a lower middle class trailer park manager.

The simple fact is I wear watches because I like the mechanics...

Car not running? Why the bus?

Not that everyone who takes a bus MUST take a bus, but I think most would agree that it is a VERY rare case for most who can afford gen luxury watches to be riding a bus.

No problem on wearing a $10,000 watch with casual dressing in a bus (besides of robbery).

No problem on wearing a $50 watch with a smoking at an elite party.

Just don't wear a Radiomir with casual dressing. :lol:

(A dive-strap Luminor, or even a Submersible, may be tolerated with a smoking as long as you are not attempting to state a style).

Italian taste said. :p

Out of joke, wear anything you like, with any dress you like.

Who damn cares?

Guest carlsbadrolex

Not that everyone who takes a bus MUST take a bus, but I think most would agree that it is a VERY rare case for most who can afford gen luxury watches to be riding a bus.

Both cars are running fine... It was simply to accommodate the desires of a spoiled rotten 3 year old. It was nothing more than a field trip.

There are plenty of places where a car is mostly useless, and not all bus systems are like Greyhound's rolling toilets filled escapees from the trailer park.

A bit off topic; I happen to think a Radiomir dresses down a lot better than up. It's a pretty utilitarian watch when you take off the PAM-goggles.

In my office (40-odd people?) in Glasgow, there are two Rolexes, two TAGs and a handful of good quartz (tissot, B&M, etc.) and ... no suits. The guy with the Explorer II cycles in from Edinburgh sometimes, one of the TAGs is a designer, the Tissot Chrono is a designer, the visiting designer from London wears an Auto PAM and casual arty clothes ...

It's not the 80s any more. What do the Silicon Valley billionaires wear? It's sandals, jeans, t-shirts and whatever sunglasses look good in their SLKs.

Panerais are more about style than cash. It just happens you need the cash to have the style.

Not in any European city I've lived in.

Go watch-spotting on certain lines of the Paris Metro or the London Underground. Even well-paid people need to get to work at rush hour.