When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Considering a UPO mod project

tenacious_b

OK, I really want a GOOD UPO, but I am tired of the dial feet issue and living in fear of the crown & tube stripping. So, if I were incline to do the following, can anyone give me an idea of how much the parts and labor would cost:

1. Purchase and install gen PO Crown and Tube

2. Purchase and install gen dial

3. Purchase and install Gen Hands

4. Are there any other mods I should consider, and if you suggest one, please include what you know about costs.

Bryan

All you really need is the Genuine Dial and the tube/crown..

chieftangs AR matches or surpasses the genuine crystal

this is my UPO with gen.-dial; crystal; tube/crown .. the hands are good enough .. you cannot tell the difference but they need SL ...to match the dial.. and the bezel is good enough to stay with the rep .. the pearl needs SL.... so if you go this way the parts will cost you under 300 usd

dsc0012fr6.jpg

after removing the rep crystal and replacing it with the genuine.. i had the rep crystal AR'd by chieftang.. that will go on my UPO orange (pumkin) model.. and i can say chiefs AR is better..IMO than the genuine..

Laniaki,

Awesome, so $248.00 for the rep, $300.00 for the improvements, $60.00 shipping from "somewhere in the pacific", and $100.00 for your trouble. Please PM me your paypal info. HAHAHAHA.....I wish!!!!!!!!

Seriously thanks for the direction.

Bryan

Having seen the genuine parts compared to the rep ones, I would offer this:

Hands I have not noted any difference or only a slight difference between gen and rep

Crown and tube is a must in my view, too many faulty defective crowns, better to replace for practical reasons

Dial, there is a difference, is it enough to warrent the cost??

Bezel, slight difference, but as with the dial, is it worth it.

Lume on the dial and hands is quite good out of the box, Super Lume does take it up one level but most are quite good as delivered.

I have always been more into the practical part of upgrades, crowns, movement quality, etc, and the lume, since I really get a kick out of the glow that SL provides.

RG

Rather than starting a new topic, just a question here about the PO. Anybody done a mod to lume the numbers on it? Sure, not like the gen, but I think it would look pretty cool, like the Pams with lumed numbers.

Rather than starting a new topic, just a question here about the PO. Anybody done a mod to lume the numbers on it? Sure, not like the gen, but I think it would look pretty cool, like the Pams with lumed numbers.

I haven't been asked or done one, but there is no reason you can't lume the numerals, even the orange ones can be done with orange SL. Not like gen, but so what, many things are not like the gen... I think it would look great, especially the orange one.

RG

I'm with Rasta on this one. The markers on the rep dial are just too small. Easy to spot. Same with the pearl sitting too low, dead giveaway. Rep hands are fine, but you'd have too relume to match the dial. I'd also just get CT AR instead of a gen crystal.

Having seen the genuine parts compared to the rep ones, I would offer this:

Hands I have not noted any difference or only a slight difference between gen and rep

Crown and tube is a must in my view, too many faulty defective crowns, better to replace for practical reasons

Dial, there is a difference, is it enough to warrent the cost??

Bezel, slight difference, but as with the dial, is it worth it.

Lume on the dial and hands is quite good out of the box, Super Lume does take it up one level but most are quite good as delivered.

I have always been more into the practical part of upgrades, crowns, movement quality, etc, and the lume, since I really get a kick out of the glow that SL provides.

RG

I'm 100% with Rob on this one. The UPO is one of those watches that I feel is good enough to not justify the expense of modifying, except for replacing the crown & tube when necessary. Chuck a whole lot of money at it and you still have a rep, just one which has cost far too much and really doesn't look that much better. The Steelfish is the same - too good already to justify the expense.

Thanks for all the input everyone. If the dial replacement is not justified then, is there a practical source for the more correct Omega dial logo...one without the "clown feet" in other words....

Silix, but the rest of the dial is not as good as the other dials, only the logo is superior. He used to sell just the dial but I heard you may have to buy the watch now. Just to get the logo.

Silix, but the rest of the dial is not as good as the other dials, only the logo is superior. He used to sell just the dial but I heard you may have to buy the watch now. Just to get the logo.

He does still sell the dial only. I ordered 1 yesterday, $50 shipped. Quite expensive considering I'm just going to use the logo only but the dial is what you look at so want it to be right. I know there are other minor flaws with the dial but they are ok to me.