When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The official word on yesterday's 'Revolution' auction

freddy333

I'd like to know who the buyers are. Rolex seems too disorganized to care, but I could see some large collectors bidding things up at this exceptionally visable auction. Spend an extra 50 grand on a watch...all of a sudden your whole collection is worth a lot more.

Edit: I guess we should remember any price in USD will be much higher these days due to the weak dollar. Hard to get used to that.

Did you see the size of the pics if you click on the watches. Great for reference.

I'm not sure how long they will keep hosting the reference pics after the auction close...so I had posted a description of a cross section of watches here:

Toad's Reference Guide to Vintage Rollies

These pics are hosted offsite so they should last longer.

I really wonder how long these record can keep being set... after all this isn't like art where there is only one, there are quite a lot of old Rolex's out there, Rolex has produced around a million a year for quite some time now and who knows how many back in the heyday of mechanical watches.

If the mainstream media were to report this you could have hundreds, maybe thousands of rare old models appear on the market suddenly.

This whole market has the feel of a bubble about to burst to me..