When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Where are all the Tudors :)

radiohead101

Dear Friends,

I've been doing a lot of searching lately (this site, Google, Ebay, and using Google's spiders of this site, etc) and I've been relatively unsuccessful in finding a Tudor Submariner w/ snowflake hands replica.

I read the outstanding ByTor review of the $400 MBW Tudor Sub, but I can't seem to find where to buy that replica. Also it seemed as though he thought it was insane (back in '06) to pay $400 for a Tudor replica, because the originals were marginally affordable.

Also I saw this link: http://www.jewelryandwatch.com/en-us/dept_80.html which sells them either assembled or the pieces to them, and I saw a link to classicwatchparts which sells a lot of nice Tudor parts.

So, I guess my questions are:

1. Do we have any trusted vendors that sell Tudor reps? And if so, may you please give their link?

2. Do you know of a good site to try to buy genuine Tudors?

3. It seems sometimes the watches have the Sub style hands instead of the Snowflake hands. Is replacing the hands as easy as buying them off of classicwatchparts and having a watchsmith replace them?

4. Am I insane for loving the Tudor look so much?

Thank you all kindly

RH

Edited by radiohead101

I love Tudor Subs, especially snowflake hands, think the only ones I've seen as reps are one offs using vintage or mbk/mbw cases and gen parts, The blue French Navy models are my favourite and they are all going up in value.

Less obvious than Rolex but just as nice, good look with the search and I've read various threads promising them but nothing as yet.Let me know if you find what your looking for

3. It seems sometimes the watches have the Sub style hands instead of the Snowflake hands. Is replacing the hands as easy as buying them off of classicwatchparts and having a watchsmith replace them?

4. Am I insane for loving the Tudor look so much?

Sorry to say I can't help as we are numerous to hope...

But:

3. SnowFlakes comes with a different dial anyway. Replacing the hands only is thus not an option.

4. Nope, you seem to be ok :)

Cheers

Stephane

RH,

Jewelyandwatch is probably your only option for a replica snowflake.

For genuine sites; either vintage rolex forum or timezone are best bets. If you want a gen get it now, they keep going up.

I guess I'm insane too. My gen 7016/0 and franken Monte Carlo ;)

DSCN4691.jpg

DSCN4709.jpg

DSCN4834.jpg

Hi guys

Do you think it would be wise to start with something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Scarce-94110-Rolex-Tud...1QQcmdZViewItem

And just replace the crystal & hands?

Or would it just be better to get the one from Phong on jewelryandwatch?

Thank you

It really depends on your budget RH. A gen will go up in value, a rep won't. I can tell you the Snowflake models are going for more than the standard sub dialed Tudors, but I still see some selling for under $2000 on timezone occasionally. Condition, how original the parts are and accessories play a big part in the cost too.

The crystal looks fine on the ebay auction, perhaps just a swap of the hands. If you look around and are patient you can find a gen set of axe hands.

I really like the new stuff Tudor is releasing. Had a chance to try one of these on; beautiful solid gold two tone submariner style piece - and an amazing value costing about $2700. They feel heavy, and solid. I would consider getting a gen in TT with diamond markers. I'm surprised they don't have much of a following.

1dsc01516sg8.jpg

1dsc01521ie1.jpg

1dsc01518yd2.jpg

1dsc01515gw1.jpg

1dsc01509yv7.jpg

1dsc01508pe6.jpg

Big Tudor fan here as well. I'm just sorry I didn't buy every Sub I could get my hands on 2-3 years a go.

The military reps were offered by Watchmaster/Kenzo in very limited quantities a year or two back. Haven't seen any others offered at down to earth prices.

My small collection & would like to add a 40mm blue Sub down the road. B)

10707301wu5.jpg

10707281qt5.jpg

Hey!

Great time pieces! Do you know the diameters of the large and small ones you have? Just so I don't accidently purchase a smaller one (I'd be so [censored]!)

I'm trying to decide if it's worth buying an original and getting something kinda beat up, or paying just a little less and getting a rep that is in perfect condition.

Do you know what Rolex would charge for a service on a Tudor? Also, if I bought a new set of hands or something for a gen, would a Rolex shop put them in for me? Or would it be much cheaper/better to get it done at an independent watch repair guy?

(by the way I went to Tudor's website, they have some pretty good kinda funky baroque sounding music, I like :) )

Edited by radiohead101

Hey!

Great time pieces! Do you know the diameters of the large and small ones you have? Just so I don't accidently purchase a smaller one (I'd be so [censored]!)

.........Thanks! The full size is 40mm and the Mini Sub is 32mm. There is also a mid-size model @ 36mm. .......................

I'm trying to decide if it's worth buying an original and getting something kinda beat up, or paying just a little less and getting a rep that is in perfect condition.

.........If possible, the gen would be the way to go even if beat up, IMO. Any gen will be quite a bit more than a rep unless you find a source that doesn't realize what they have. The plexi crystal Tudor Subs don't seem to be getting any cheaper, in any size. ........................................................

Do you know what Rolex would charge for a service on a Tudor? Also, if I bought a new set of hands or something for a gen, would a Rolex shop put them in for me? Or would it be much cheaper/better to get it done at an independent watch repair guy?

.........From what I have read, Rolex charges around $350 for a movement service. This would include new seals, water proof and one year warranty. I suspect Rolex would not install parts that you provided so an independent watchmaker may be the better option. .......................................................

(by the way I went to Tudor's website, they have some pretty good kinda funky baroque sounding music, I like :) )

........I'll need to check it out. :) ........................................................

Man... This whole search is like beating my head on a wall. It pretty much seems to get a snowflake Tudor sub you kinda have to buy an older one and then fix it up, which will add like another $300-500 to the cost of one.

I have a great vintage military rolex bond sub from UncleJay. I was thinking of just putting these hands on it (replacing the mercedes hands)

5517%20aged.JPG

That would be similar, and would only cost $65 + shipping instead of getting a whole new damn watch :) And it's still ETA powered. What do you guys think?

RH,

FYI, if those are the CWP hands they won't fit an ETA movement, they're made for Rolex 15xx movements and are a totally different size.

You can get similar hands from MkII Watches for an ETA, but only in white lume.

Man... This whole search is like beating my head on a wall. It pretty much seems to get a snowflake Tudor sub you kinda have to buy an older one and then fix it up, which will add like another $300-500 to the cost of one.

I have a great vintage military rolex bond sub from UncleJay. I was thinking of just putting these hands on it (replacing the mercedes hands)

5517%20aged.JPG

That would be similar, and would only cost $65 + shipping instead of getting a whole new damn watch :) And it's still ETA powered. What do you guys think?

RH,

FYI, if those are the CWP hands they won't fit an ETA movement, they're made for Rolex 15xx movements and are a totally different size.

You can get similar hands from MkII Watches for an ETA, but only in white lume.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh damn!

Thank you for telling me this :) You just saved me probably $90 and a lot of heartache!