When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Davidsen's New Pam 000 logo dial watch

vlydog

The print looks a bit grey-ish white to me. The logo is the "long arrow" version which I think was only the first year of the 005, but it looks cool.

Overall, I'd say it's easily one of the more accurate 000 dials ever available and may well be the ONLY one currently available...

Seriously...Educate me...What makes this a $300.-380. watch...???....I have seen very similar APPARENT quality offerings for @ 1/2 that much...What does Dsn do differently than other dealers ?..(besides ship watches with stripped lug threads of course!!).. ;) ;)

Seriously...Educate me...What makes this a $300.-380. watch...???....I have seen very similar APPARENT quality offerings for @ 1/2 that much...What does Dsn do differently than other dealers ?..(besides ship watches with stripped lug threads of course!!).. ;) ;)

Not that I disagree entirely. ;)

But once you've seen and held a Davidsen watch, especially next to other PAM reps, there is no contest. It looks and FEELS much more finished. Again, it's about accuracy versus quality.

Since I am not trying to fool PAM experts, I go for the quality -- which then translates into confidence in wearing it. That's a Davidsen watch for me.

P.S.: Only once did I get a semblence of that feeling, in a non-DSN. It was an Eddie Lee Fiddy.

asad would you care to elaborate?

Thank you Victoria. I am a quality over quantity kind of guy and usually do exhaustive research to find it. That being said, I take steps to modify my reps to be as close to the real thing as possible. Wouldn't this watch serve both my objectives well?

Dial is another classic DSN - some things better .....some things worse. - text / logo / lume colour / thickness etc...

More concerning for me is the case set ....if this is the 201A case (the CG is the same) then the crown is not central within the guard (or the guard does not sit central over the crown) making winding uncomfortable and uneven

Also the height of the bezel and 2 screw lug bars is going to be so wrong on an 000 base.

In the end it's a rep and 10% of the cost of a gen.

DSN's service has always been good IMHO and he is genuinely a watch enthusiast....but not enough to get this "simple" dial 100% correct.

:fish:

asad would you care to elaborate?

Well to start he text is quite ways off the LOGO also is too thick which makes it not clear.

Here is my GEN for comparison:

DSC08006-1.jpg

Thanks

Well to start he text is quite ways off the LOGO also is too thick which makes it not clear.

DSC08006-1.jpg

Thanks

Thank you asad for your gen picture. This really gives me more perspective and a much better sense of contrast. I see from your signature that you too own a 219.

Base love brother.

DSC08006-1.jpg

Thanks

GEN, my ass. Asad, you really are winding us up. Can we have a tutorial on fixing the 'A's please, although, to be honest, I think that you have 'over corrected' this one?

Edited by PAMman

Hmmmm, there is something "different" about that crown.

Here's my gen 002 for comparison...

DSCF0999.jpg

Asad's 000 watch is a rep. The crown is wrong and so is the crownguard but the biggest flaw in the rep 000 dail is the 'R' which has a straight front leg instead of the correct gen / normal rep 'R'. However the rep 000 dial is the only logo dial to get the logo correct and the print quality is really good, but then it's let down by the incorrect 'R'. Another case of 'one step forwards, two steps back'.

If only the talents that produce the top-class, relatively complicated dials, such as the Steelfish, Slevin etc, got involved in rep Panerais then we would get proper dials.

So, Asad, you going to tell us how you fixed the "A's"?

On edit: never mind...thanks to the super-sharpen feature in photoshop CS3, I see how you did it.

Does this mean that they are fixed in Photoshop only and not on the actual dial?

I have thought of trying a micro piece of black dry-transfer lettering (Letraset) in a triangular shape to fill the inside of the A down to the crossbar level, thus removing the crossbar altogether, then applying a new crossbar in white Letraset on top of the black. I doubt if the modification would be visible to the naked eye as the black on black would be undetectable, particularly as it would be framed by the white of the A.

The base 002 dial is the obvious candidate for this project because there are only 2 As and no other flaws, but these are so scarce that its a risky experiment.

You want gen? Here's mine for comparison. I think these pics make it pretty darn clear that there's just about nothing right on DSN's dial. Fonts on printing is off. Numerals are off. Crown is off. Crown guard is off.

That said, a rep is a rep, so you decide if these things are important.

DSC02060.jpg

DSC02029.jpg

oddcouple.jpg

Does this mean that they are fixed in Photoshop only and not on the actual dial?

I have thought of trying a micro piece of black dry-transfer lettering (Letraset) in a triangular shape to fill the inside of the A down to the crossbar level, thus removing the crossbar altogether, then applying a new crossbar in white Letraset on top of the black. I doubt if the modification would be visible to the naked eye as the black on black would be undetectable, particularly as it would be framed by the white of the A.

The base 002 dial is the obvious candidate for this project because there are only 2 As and no other flaws, but these are so scarce that its a risky experiment.

Let's put it this way: most of us wouldn't be very interested in duplicating asad's method.

I've just started working on this issue. I have the euipment needed to cut any thin material at tremendously tight tolerances, like .005mm, and I figure there are two ways to go about the job: make a stencil out of some kind of clear masking material to paint or to cut out the actual letters or parts of letters out of Letraset or some other kind of static or glue adhesive vinyl. I don't think the black-out step would be necessary since I understand the white ink is pretty easy to remove, even just the crossbar if you have a steady hand. Of course, the appropriate vector file would have to be made first.

Asad's 000 watch is a rep. The crown is wrong and so is the crownguard but the biggest flaw in the rep 000 dail is the 'R' which has a straight front leg instead of the correct gen / normal rep 'R'. However the rep 000 dial is the only logo dial to get the logo correct and the print quality is really good, but then it's let down by the incorrect 'R'. Another case of 'one step forwards, two steps back'.

What a treasure you and Sssurfer are, PAMman. One can only hope to have your eye and knowledge about Panerai reps.

If only the talents that produce the top-class, relatively complicated dials, such as the Steelfish, Slevin etc, got involved in rep Panerais then we would get proper dials.

So why don't they? Seriously, they would make a heck of a lot more money, than concentrating on Breitlings and IWC. The market for Panerai is insatiable, so it's a deep mystery to us all.

@TK471: Thanks for posting pics of your real gen! I still want the 005, but the base 000 is beginning to look mighty scrumptious.

Wow guys, how is mine a fake. I had it authenticated by my PAM AD and have authentication paper work prooving that it is real!

and I am aware that the CG is different from the it came with as I personally changed it out for a polished one.

Here is the original shot when I had first recived it:

DSC07377.jpg

Edited by asad

No problem. Still, Asad's watch (he's been posting on Risti as if it were a gen) looks mighty convincing.

Oh no! I genuinely thought Asad was just winding the experts up. Kind of like "test your knowledge of reps".

Asad, if that's true, don't darling...that's bad news for everyone.

Wow guys, how is mine a fake. I had it authenticated by my PAM AD and have authentication paper work prooving that it is real!

This is what frightens me. That I may go to an unscrupulous AD and purchase a fake for $$$. I hope to count with your eyes, guys, when I buy my gen...I'm posting copious photos on RWG.

Asad, I'm sorry if you got taken.