When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Brown dial 1680 (NDT dial)

XRT

• 1 month later...

Sorry to urinate on your french fries, and at the risk of upsetting you (knowing how much you paid NDT for this redial) I have to be honest and say it screams bad redial/fake.

Aside from the poor attempt to recreate the (smaller, condensed) font most commonly seen for the red Submariner text, the early chocolate dials actually appear off-black and only reveal their 'chocolate' appearance under sunlight. Nanuq's gen mkII 1665 is a perfect example and I'm sure he'll repost a pic if he sees this. The appearance is, I'm told, is as a result of UV ageing of the dial over the years. This NDT dial however looks overly brown, and contrasts hugely with the jet-black insert - at least fade your insert to match.

Sorry, not meaning to be harsh but I happen to think there's one born every minute when it comes to NDT prices, especially redials. Cases aside (which are obscenely marked-up in price from source) there are far better redials to be had for less money.

*update* I see in fact our Alaskan friend is indeed reading this right this second - here comes the pic folks ;)

I was trying to be kind, but Doc is exactly correct.

Gen (with appropriately faded bezel) in top left corner

6x1680.jpg

I still like the watch though. Just needs a better dial. You have to be very careful with NDTrading dials -- a couple are pretty respectable, but many are obvious aftermarket jobs.

Not to belabor the point, but this picture better illustrates the fading effect of the original black (to brown). Look at the Sub in the bottom right corner as well as the 1 above it

8x1680.jpg

However, I bet if you let Ziggy perform his magic on it (lume & vintagizing)............

Unfortunately, it's not even close to being 'believable' and as for beauty, I suppose that is in the eye of the beholder. I for one prefer black dials with nicely fade-to-grey inserts.

Everything is always in the eye of the beholder, even the truth. I love the brown dial, and having seen the group shots, I really like brown bezels too. Black and grey? Love that too.

Sure why not if you like having your pants pulled down, bank account rifled, divorce, booze, breakdown....etc.

Good luck with that ;)

If only you knew......

Guess I do now, which is why I asked. Glad I didnt order the fries! ;)

Guess I do now, which is why I asked. Glad I didnt order the fries! ;)

Well that's at least one I've saved from the false prophet that is NDT, all is not in vain after all.

J, the phrase is actually a little less elegant this side of the pond - "to p*ss on someone's chips" (as in fries), but I imagine it has the same sour vinegary taste :ltongue:

Well that's at least one I've saved from the false prophet that is NDT, all is not in vain after all.

J, the phrase is actually a little less elegant this side of the pond - "to p*ss on someone's chips" (as in fries), but I imagine it has the same sour vinegary taste :ltongue:

It is much better in your accent!