When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Coming Soon: JayTech II

UncleJay

Working on my JAYTECH II which will be a Base version of JAYTECH I. I guess it's an ultimate Franken using all OEM parts. My question is should it wear pants or a skirt? I should say ...... solid or display back?

Uncle Jay's Shopping List

-----------------------------

OEM SS 44mm Panerai case >

OEM Panerai movement >

OEM Panerai Tobacco Base dial >

OEM Prototype gold hands >

OEM caseback (solid) >

OEM caseback (display) >

Display hands down. Like nice panties, OEM parts should be on view! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Working on my JAYTECH II which will be a Base version of JAYTECH I. I guess it's an ultimate Franken using all OEM parts. My question is should it wear pants or a skirt? I should say ...... open or display back?

Jay I think you want display back because both 'open' and 'display' are the same thing. Subconcious... You have to go with Open ;)

That's not true, Kruz. The OP I movement behind my closed D series caseback has blued screws and the grafitti decoration on the "standard" square ETA bridge plates, just like the the PAM036. I actually like how it looks more than the CdG decorated movement with the Panerai shaped bridges in my 210.

You are right they are decorated. But they still cheap out engraving stock ETA bridge plates rather than using their signature bridge plate shapes and using the lower cost swan neck set up. Very telling that even they felt the need to spruce up their movement after they started regularly using clear case backs in the 111, 112,etc. It is a cool movement and the fact that it is in the 36 makes it even sexier but make no mistake - cheaper to produce. And yes I far prefer the original engraving to CDG.

They were once upon a time, not sure if they still do. VirginiaWatchFan posted a pic a while back of the "inside" of his gen Zero. Let me see if I can dig that up...

The pic has been moved, evidently, but it was originally posted on 'Risti. If memory serves me, it is a no-swan-neck movement with something other than the grafitti decoration in the Zero and Fiver. I can't remember what the decoration of the bridges looked like, though.

This is what the OP I/II movements look like, for anyone interested. Pics courtesy of VirginiaWatchFan:

199299-2076.jpg

I'll see if I can dig up a 000/005 movement photo from 'Risti...

They were once upon a time, not sure if they still do. VirginiaWatchFan posted a pic a while back of the "inside" of his gen Zero. Let me see if I can dig that up...

The pic has been moved, evidently, but it was originally posted on 'Risti. If memory serves me, it is a no-swan-neck movement with something other than the grafitti decoration in the Zero and Fiver. I can't remember what the decoration of the bridges looked like, though.

This is what the OP I/II movements look like, for anyone interested. Pics courtesy of VirginiaWatchFan:

199299-2076.jpg

I'll see if I can dig up a 000/005 movement photo from 'Risti...

The 000/005 movements don't have the PANERAI engraving but are CdG striped on the original 'square' ETA shaped bridges - similar to the preA but a different pattern.

The 000/005 movements don't have the PANERAI engraving but are CdG striped on the original 'square' ETA shaped bridges - similar to the preA but a different pattern.

They don't have Officine Panerai engraved on the bridges anywhere in blue font? I thought they did, with CdG decorated square bridges and no swan neck? I know they don't have the "PANERAIPANERAIPANERAI" grafitti engraving, but I thought they had the single "Officine Panerai" engraving in blue....

I vote for open caseback. If you are gonna put the OEM movement it is worth looking at no matter how it is decorated. This project looks awesome. I can't wait to see the end result. Are you going to do the work Jay?

O.T. Jay, I saw a OEM 176 for sale the other day and the seller was commenting on the only thing wrong were scratches on the bezel. I thought about your eraser trick and how it could have taken the them right out. Thought about PMing the seller, but I'm sure the watch was sold rather fast.

I'd say display back, simply because that allows the pleasure of viewing the movement :)

As a sidenote, I've noticed that wearing a PAM with a closed back, does make a very slight difference to how the watch 'sizes'. Probably not a problem with a leather strap, but, if an SS bracelet is sized perfectly for your wrist when wearing a watch with a display back, the closed back, will make it ever so slightly more snug fitting.

Can't wait to see the finished project :):good: