When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Who said that Seiko are cheap watches:

AMK000

Seiko Marinemaster Automatic

Just for info and from pure curiosity.

Never though that Seiko is producing a watch that expensive (compared to their other models):

Prices for this are ranging from 1500 USD to 1700 USD.

hxxp://www.watcharama.com/sk055.htm

hxxp://forums.watchnet.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=139053&rid=0

... - but why still Hardlex? :cry: I love Seiko, but the Hardlex drives me nuts.

Glass is relatively shatter resistant, but scratches easily

Sapphire is scratch resistant, but shatters relatively easily

Hardlex or Saphlex claim to be almost as hard as saphire, but far more shatter resistant.

It makes more sense, from a practical standpoint, for a diver watch to be shatter resistant as a sapphire crystal will shatter pretty easily if it's bumped on anything while under pressure.

I've owned gen Breitlings, Omega's you name it...The Marinemaster is one of the highest quality divers made.

I owned one for awhile..The case is a solid piece of machined stainless steel (no caseback at all)

There has been on ongoing argument, or should I say war, amongst people about which is an overall better diver. The Rolex sub vs. the Seiko MM. Do a google search and ye shall find. Personally, I like the MM and Sub for their own characteristics. I also think that the Seiko is rather cheap for what it is capable of. The hardlex xtal get's on my nerves too as the MM600 Spring Drive uses a saphire, negating Seiko's own reasoning for using it in the MM300, but I guess I could overlook it. The MM300 SD has been on my "to get" short list for some time now.

On a side note, have any of you seen that custom Seiko for the space mission? Simply awsome!

i've had a marine master for almost 7 years now and you can absolutely put me in the "marine master is a better watch" category :)

there is a member here selling a genuine sub bracelet only for $1400US? i paid less than that for my MM from katsu higuchi, brand new. with a far far better bracelet than the sub, and much better lume, and (according to my watchmaker) a far superior movement. that came with a bracelet with an adjustable divers extension and a rubber strap and a spare buckle.

the reason the MM came with a hardlex crystal was that it was one of the last seiko dive watched designed by tokunaga san and he did not believe that sapphire was the best choice for a professional divers watch. the 600m springdrive diver was designed after his retirement. personally i'm willing to give a man with 2-3 dozen patents on watch design the benefit of the doubt :)

i sold a gen bond SMP to buy the MM and have never regretted it for a moment. it still runs +1/2 seconds a day and glows like a torch at night!

^^^ I'm actually with you when it comes to liking Seiko's. I've had a Rollie Sub and currently have a Orient Star 300M, as well as other Seiko's, and I'm so pleased with the thing that I'll never part with it. I plan to wear it to the grave. :)