When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

HBB : comparison shots Version1 vs Version2

Pix

Hi Folks,

I have been delivered today with the Watchmark version (the 405 USD one). I must confess that this watch is not for me, but for a good friend of mine. But I'll keep it until sunday, so please feel free to ask any question.

I'm starting this thread not to make a review against the gen (experts please chime in if there are obvious points to be mentionned), but to compare what I have come to call the V1 against the V2.

V1 stands for the manufacturer1 version, i.e. the one we have all known. Although my V1 was a lite version, I consider it as being the same as far as the construction is concerned. The differences between the "V1 lite" and the "V1 plain" version were :

- no AR coating, which was fixed afterwards with a Jakub's Ar coating

- 21,6 kbph movement against 28,8 kbph

- smooth SS PVD coated bezel against knurled ceramic. I have upgraded to a SS PVD coated knurled one thanks to UB7

My V1 is the SS version.

V2 stands for manufacturer2 version. It is commonly admitted that this is a rep of the rep. Due to a price which is higher than the lite version (that BTW seem to have disappeared) but lower, much lower than the "plain version", the big question is : "how does it stand" against the expensive one ?

The V2 is the RG version.

The answer (hopefully) in pictures is about to follow.

For me, the main difference (except of course the movement) comes from the strap, as for the rest, we're only speaking of details.

Why the strap ?

It's actually a much softer rubber, which IMO feels cheaper. It's fortunately not the extremely cheap rubber we can see on some Omega PO or on the Chopard GTXL. From what I have experienced today, it takes dust inside, but the outside (maybe thanks to its shape) does not attract dust, at least not much. So most of us will live with this, I'm sure. The most demanding buyers will be able to upgrade to the stiff version for less than 40 USD, as far as I recall Angus prices (who seem to be the only one selling spare parts). Also the V2 version looks absolutely matt, against a satin (almost glossy) finish for the V2.

Honestly I prefer the V1 finish, although noone would really notice the thing if they did not have both ones side by side.

I leave it to you for judging from pics.

01strapsrq0.jpg

Here you can see the dust inside and the softness of the V2.

02strapsinsidemp3.jpg

The embossed markings inside are better on the V1.

03strapinsidev1nr6.jpg

04strapinsidev2jx6.jpg

A side by side. The second one is something I usually don't do : using the flashlight. But I tought it gives an idea of the AR coating. The V2 has an AR which is hardly noticeable. But it exists : I particularly noticed it when I put water on the dial (to check it's sapphire, and it IS). There, the typical blue hue appeared. I would tend to say it's a single AR coating, but actually am unable to prove that. There you'll also see that the dust does not affect the outside of both straps. That's good to know for those who, like me, hate cheap straps.

05frontstz0.jpg

06frontsflashyq3.jpg

Caseback markings look both good. I'm not mentionning the contents, as it seems there are different markings according to the versions.

The V1 has stickers on the rotor, whereas the V2 has real engraving, which feels a bit more like the gen, but before all will avoid dramas with letters falling in the movement.

07casebackv1vj8.jpg

07casebackv2uq4.jpg

Deployment clasps are almost identical. The markings on the V2 are bolder, somehow not as well finished than on the V1. But still more than acceptable. I have the feeling that the V2 digs less in the wrist, but that might be an effect of the softer strap.

08bucklesfrontmq3.jpg

08bucklesls0.jpg

Sides look absolutely the same to me, except the crown logo which is bolder on the V2. The V2 has no screw-down crown, it is the same standard system as on the V1 : pull-out, push-in :lol: Looks slightly different in the construction.

09sideszi7.jpg

10sides2nv5.jpg

13crownv1uf8.jpg

14crownv2st2.jpg

11crownclosedv1uv1.jpg

12crownclosedv2ct4.jpg

It has been also said that there's a pattern difference in the V2's dial. It's true. The pattern in the small squares is less marked, but does exist. I must say you can't notice that by naked eyes. (both pictures are from V2)

16dialv2yw7.jpg

15dialpatternv2nl7.jpg

Last difference which is in favour of the V2 IMO : looks like a tiny detail, but it's an automatic tell for those knowing the 7750 movement. Look at the rotor screw of the V2 : it's smooth, which feels more like the gen.

17rotorscrewv1yi2.jpg

18rotorscrewv2nj4.jpg

Conclusion : Those having paid a lot for the "plain" V1 version did not pay for nothing. It's surely the best version around. However, we have an excellent alternative for those willing to pay a more "common" price.

I forgot something : the bezel.

Impossible for me to say if it's PVD coated steel or ceramic. Actually the screws are not the same exactly and I could not use my V1 H tool to detach the bezel. I have unscrewed one screw : looks grey inside, but I'm unable to say if it's the grey of the steel, or the grey of raw drilled ceramic. Also, the screws of V1 simply won't fit in V2. Be carefull if you have to change one (i.e. order from Angus)

Honestly, I don't think it's that important.

An other Version has popped up recently, it's Silix's one. Basically it is the V2 with a different bezel (looks wrong as it's flat). It has the high beat movement. No idea about the quality of the strap. It stands between Watchmark's version and the V1 we know. I tend to believe that it's a special manufacturing or modding done for or by Silix, as I don't think there's a 3rd manufacturer around. Until proven ;)

Hope that was useful.

[Edit] 7th May. Evildee informs us that the rehault is wrong against the gen. It should be gold, whereas here we have a silver one. Although my intention was not to compare to the gen but to the V1, I think that this point is important enough to be mentionned, and not to mislead anyone.

Nice one Pix! Thanks for taking the time and comparing the two, they are very close really, just the finish being slightly better on the V1 :)

Watchmark has just added a few more low beat HBB's to his site. How about a black magic, ceramic bezel and AR for $415?! ^_^

http://www.timeshops.net/Big_Bang_Black_Ma...__1276-2660.htm

Prices are going down all the time B)

thanks for the review...

after seeing last saturday the HBB from a fellow member I decided that I have to get one...now I just have to decide...like the ice bang, the black magic, the RG version...the mellow yellow (dunno if it is still available - and don't know why they haven't done the lite version)...sweet problems in making the decision

I would like to buy a HBB too. However I think I would like a custom version HBB ^_^

It would be as follows:

Ice bang dial/hands, SS case with ceramic polished bezel, double AR and a smooth black rubber strap...

Now if a dealer could create that for me, I would be throwing money at them :p

I would like to buy a HBB too. However I think I would like a custom version HBB ^_^

It would be as follows:

Ice bang dial/hands, SS case with ceramic polished bezel, double AR and a smooth black rubber strap...

Now if a dealer could create that for me, I would be throwing money at them :p

agree with that combo...I think I saw a dealer offering a custom one like that on RG...not sure 100%...the listing was deleted so I cannot check!

agree with that combo...I think I saw a dealer offering a custom one like that on RG...not sure 100%...the listing was deleted so I cannot check!

It would be a sweet watch, and different from everything else you see. if anyone asks, you can just say it is custom made, and you would not be lying either :p:lol:

Anyone good enough to photochop what it would look like? B)

EDIT: dadog13 your avatar cracks me up man ^_^

Thanks Pix for the great comparison & revue!

Screws in the gen movement are plain SS -- not black, not blue:

redgoldblackceramic44mmnt3.jpg

It seems that, as usual, rep makers are making some details better (the central part of the rotor without the saw-like appearance, the "HUBLOT GENEVE" text engraved on the rotor rather than stickered on it), and some other details worse (the black central screw and other blue screws, the odd "LIMITED" "EDITION" text on the caseback).

In order to get an almost perfect piece, we should mix a V1 and a V2... :black_eye:

The Silix version look really good except for one thing, the dial printing is gold!!! I would have had one of these from silix long ago if it wasn't for the gold dial print. Hublot never made a dial with gold print that I have seen. It is my opinion that these are light versions from the same maker as the $1k++ models that did the gold print on a chaeper version just for spite. It doesn't make sense to make a great watch like this for $500 and get the print color wrong.

great review pix!! this has to be one of the best deals out there. i personally think i would like the version 2 strap

better...i do think the the hbb strap is a little too stiff and that is probably the reason for people complaining

about the clasp....softer strap will be probably eliminate the clasp problem. anyway, great job buddy!!

on a side note....where are the rating things? i tried to give you a gold star, but they are not there anymore?? :unsure:

There are black screws on some of the GENs.

Not the RG + black bezel model, I am afraid. :(

In order to get an almost perfect piece, we should mix a V1 and a V2... :black_eye:

Well, I'm now not sure anymore that all parts are compatible (after te bezel screw experience).

I'm still convinced that the V2 is a good choice, especially knowing that the movement is a straight swap with a Swiss 7750, and looking at the price (some versions are under 300, i.e. a standard rep price)

V2 versions with closed caseback popped up, for those really having problems with the movement/rotor appearance.

The other point is that you can get a brand new A7750 for 130 USD, if this is really disturbing. There are a lot of mods that can be done before reaching the price of the V1 "plain" version.

What else ? I love the RG look, and if this watch was not for a friend, I would have kept it :lol:

As far as the Ltd Edition marking is concerned : the problem is that there are so many variations around that I'm unable to say if the text is correct or not.

@Zenpang : there are other dead giveaways on the V1 too (like stickers). As TripleS said, both versions should be mixed to obtain the perfect rep.

I feel the Silix version is more a problem as you will more quickly spot it : flat knurled bezel and gold dial digits are quite obvious flaws.

At the end, aren't we looking for tiny details ? Hublot is quite unknown and every HBB owner has certainly noticed how people react when wearing the thing : "incredible watch"...

on a side note....where are the rating things? i tried to give you a gold star, but they are not there anymore?? :unsure:
Gone forever this time... (look at the announcements in Admins thread "I'm back") :(

Can the bezels themselves be switched?
I'm afraid I'm helpless here. I cannot and won't remove the bezel entirely, as this watch is not for me. I would like to avoid stripping anything : my H screwdriver does not work here. I feel sorry about that, but hope you will understand.

IMO, looking at their size and shape (way the "knurling" is done), they are exactly the same. Only the screws seem different and not compatible with each others case.

I read (and Watchmark somehow confirmed) there are 2 bezel manufacturers only : a Chinese and a Japanese.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the blued screws on reps aren't real, they are just paint/varnish. In that case you can remove it if you really can't live with it.

Personally I would keep the colour, it gives a very nice look to the movement.