When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The continued Golden Age of Reps and diversity amoung dealers

fotoman

So, i was just perusing the dealer sites and i noticed that for the first time since i can remember its not the same models on everyones site.

king, silix, josh, angus, actually have different models available - for the last year or so, if i wanted to keep up with what was coming out i just had to check out josh's site.

Of course, there are the different "makers" and there has been lots of talk about it. Its really hard to keep track because its hard to get straight answers, but - so far, everytime i have gotten something from josh, it has been quality, he has also told me, when i have inquired about a model if he thought it wasn't up to par. -

I haven't had a relationship with josh for about a year or so, ever since the whole "cartel" thread but - in moving around, i have learned that king and silix definatly don't mind selling "lesser" models- and often the prices might reflect that - sometimes they don't -

i wonder that because there are SO many new hot models coming out that some of the sites don't feel they need to keep up - or are there really suppliers that dealers don't want to deal with.

I dunno - on the golden age thing - man, the models have gotten to a place i never imagined that they would.

So, i was just perusing the dealer sites and i noticed that for the first time since i can remember its not the same models on everyones site.

king, silix, josh, angus, actually have different models available - for the last year or so, if i wanted to keep up with what was coming out i just had to check out josh's site.

Of course, there are the different "makers" and there has been lots of talk about it. Its really hard to keep track because its hard to get straight answers, but - so far, everytime i have gotten something from josh, it has been quality, he has also told me, when i have inquired about a model if he thought it wasn't up to par. -

I haven't had a relationship with josh for about a year or so, ever since the whole "cartel" thread but - in moving around, i have learned that king and silix definatly don't mind selling "lesser" models- and often the prices might reflect that - sometimes they don't -

i wonder that because there are SO many new hot models coming out that some of the sites don't feel they need to keep up - or are there really suppliers that dealers don't want to deal with.

I dunno - on the golden age thing - man, the models have gotten to a place i never imagined that they would.

I agree that it keeps getting better in terms of replication accuracy. QC is still a problem but sticking with one of the long timers in terms of sales gets you some solutions to the most common difficulties.

I too have been out or the rep market for about a year now concentrating on genuines. Part of this was due to the enormous increases in price over the last 2 years. I did just break the bank to the tune of almost $400 with shipping for Josh's SOSF which got rave reviews for accuracy. That's how I always bought...getting what was in the 95% accuracy of reproduction range instead of buying what appealed to me aesthetically. My OCD wouldn't let me buy a display caseback Vacheron or Patek clone with an Asian 21J peering through the back.

The SOSF, Seamaster Chrono, Tag Link Chrono, Bentley GT are all remarkable replications of the genuine article. I posted 2 years ago this can't go on much longer. Wrong again eh???

Same. I always shop with Narikaa now because it's such a no brainer. A long wait in exchange for guaranteed quality and peace of mind. You would have to be insane to shop anywhere else.

I agree with your thoughts entirely Phoband, and it is definitely nice to see less of a link between the dealers, although to what extent it is, I don't know. I would suspect that there aren't many new factories setting up to make these replica's and I also imagine there haven't been many disagreements, as there can't be that many factories producing these watches - so conflict would see a big loss in income for the 'collectors' here. There could be some kind of agreement behind the scenes, that some collectors will retail certain watches publicly, whilst the others they will list quietly . As an example dealer A and dealer B both have watches x and y. Dealer A markets watch X publicly, and merely lists watch Y, Dealer B quietly lists watch X, and publicly releases watch Y - this is pure speculation on my part though, more of a theory than a view I hold.

I think the golden age was reached roughly august last year. The new reps that are being produced are still of amazing aesthetical quality, but what has dulled down my enthusiasm for purchasing the newer ones is mainly down to not knowing what movement I will get. I don't want this thread to go off on a tangent and I don't want to spark another movement discussion, as this is not what this thread is about, but for me, that is why I feel the golden age was last year.

I think 2006 and 2007 we saw lots of great replications of the "mainstream reps"... such as Omega SMP Chrono, TAG Link Chrono , Carrera, Aquaracer, SFSO, Bentley, new Navitimer, UPO, BCE, Cousteau, etc. etc.

It seems to me that the visual quality is still as good, but the factories have been concentrating more on the "obscure" brands: Ebel, Chopard, B&R, Cartier, etc. The year 2007 was a real "IWC year". Almost all main models came out in very short time.

Most popular Omegas and Breitlings have been replicated very well already, so I doubt we can except a lot from that direction. Perhaps it's going to be silent for a while now? I mean, what there is to except... something that has potential to sell a lot (like UPO or SSD)? If they made one more run of the 42mm PO with 2x AR coating it would be a smash hit.

But then again... maybe this all silence means that the PERFECT SUB IS COMING NEXT!!! :D

A real perfect Sub is what we need, and all members will get one probably. Is a must in this board and any other board, I decided not to buy anymore Polex watches until the factory comes with something that is really a super rep.

cheers

I decided not to buy anymore Polex watches until the factory comes with something that is really a super rep.

Me too.

1 - don't fool yourself -we never knew what movement we were getting unless your an expert or sent it off to The Zigmeister

a Great tip though is if on josh's site there isn't even a photo of the movement - and just the caseback - then its not even pretending to be as advertised :)

i like the obscure brands but man there is WAY more to do

how about a Zenith a Ulysse Nardin - lots of cool stuff out there.

I don't even worry about AR anymore - what we can get is better now anyway here,

the steelfish by the way, is a SUPER awesome rep, one of the best of all time, and best AR i have ever seen - from the factory. one of my favs - my crossfranken is going to be super awesome

my wife's holy grail just hit with the happy sport square chopard rep.

Common.. Josh is a dropshipper. He don't see your watch before sending it. If someone think "I will buy from Josh, I have better chance to get quality" then he is wrong. The only Dealer I can say this, is Angus. When I ordered my HBB, I asked him to change the strap for a flat one. He ordered the strap and installed it for me. This is the only time I can tell I have paid a bit more, but someone took a look at my watch before sending it.

The old "choose your dealer, then choose your watch" is still valid. But it all come to the same thing: Do your own homework. If the watch you want is available cheaper from another dealer, then try to see why. Review, compare pics, ask question, etc..

I have delt with few dealer (about 10) and never was disappointed (beside TTK, but that's what happen when you do your homework and still "try it" because he's the only one with the watch you want)

Edited by vric

Common.. Josh is a dropshipper. He don't see your watch before sending it. If someone think "I will buy from Josh, I have better chance to get quality" then he is wrong. The only Dealer I can say this, is Angus. When I ordered my HBB, I asked him to change the strap for a flat one. He ordered the strap and installed it for me. This is the only time I can tell I have paid a bit more, but someone took a look at my watch before sending it.

The old "choose your dealer, then choose your watch" is still valid. But it all come to the same thing: Do your own homework. If the watch you want is available cheaper from another dealer, then try to see why. Review, compare pics, ask question, etc..

I have delt with few dealer (about 10) and never was disappointed (beside TTK, but that's what happen when you do your homework and still "try it" because he's the only one with the watch you want)

Yes Josh is a dropshipper but he does have some connection to his shipper for QC in that they are supposedly tested for running quality and chrono functions before send out. My point is that not even hands on inspection is going to intercept all potential problems and you do encounter delays and higher costs from the guys who do lower volume with the hands on touch. Josh will work fairly with you about defective merchandise. I suppose there are horror stories out there about lost watches and unanswered pleas but the problems I have had have been quickly rectified. I just shattered the crystal on my Breitling TT Navitimer and went through Ziggy and several other potential sources for repair. No one had any solutions except Josh, who sold me the watch 6 months ago. He said the crystal came as a kit with the case and could not be obtained individually but that he would repair the watch by recasing the movement and dial. Pretty good customer service if you ask me. The watch was a loss and a write off otherwise.

josh, does both drop shipping and direct shipping - Basically all the dealers do that. - I have had stuff shipped directly from josh to me, and also drop shipped -

Trusty used to have all his stock personally before he took off with the big website.

but you can tell :) cause the factories pack all their stuff the same way :)