When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

going to Guangzhou

dadog13

buy a lot of reps? :D

I need an advice...since I've been going to the motherland of all our reps and since I have made some sort of pre contacts with a source for reps and got a confirmation that the requested reps could be available for pick up (7 of them!!!)...I was wondering if it is OK for me to try to bring them with me through the customs...the main question came to my mind because I have to change plane in Frankfurt (Germany) and I know that the germans have problematic customs...

the 7 reps will be of value of 2000+$ (yep, all kind of super reps :D )...so the question is...should I try to smuggle them through the customs or not?

I know about the possibility to send them by post to my country...but then again is the risk (since we are speaking for 7 of them)...and I think it could be easier to smuggle them during the flight...

another idea that came to my mind is to dissasemble the reps...dials and movements from cases...this way could be easier that the reps pass the customs...

any advice is more than welcome!

Keep it in your cargo luggage, not your on-board luggage (or whatever its called)..

They shouldn't care. I remember once brining back a replica Colt 1911 pistol (not a real gun, just looks like it) and nobody gave me any sort of trouble. Mind you, this was in Poland, pre 9/11... things might be different now. But I've always been wondering what the heck those security guards must have been thinking when they see a pistol sliding through X-RAY...... :-D

A bit of Pho and Corgi here.....Put them in a watch case but put them in your cargo luggage, customs will not check this in Germany as your luggage will simply be transfered to your next plane.

It is only at your point of departure (Croatia) that you may have to have your luggae checked by customs.

The other point is that if your contact in China is charging you $2000 for these 7 reps then it wouldn't hurt to shop around as that's very high by Chinese standards.

Ken

If its HBB type watches and if we are to belive our sellers here they are not cheap in main land China either but i tend not to belive them. :p

I woud just pack them in a safe way in a travel watch case and put them in the cargo luggage.

you'll be fine, i travel with 2-4 watches wherever i go, customs will not give you any hassles...just make sure any stickers are removed :victory:

If Germany is not your final destination you will not clear customs there. Your baggage will be checked through to the final destination country and that is the country you need to worry about. How are customs in your country?

(I fly through Frankfurt frequently when arriving in the EU and have never had to clear customs there - my final destination is Spain.)

Edited by JuanG

Checked thru baggage depends entirely on your tickets. All flights on the one ticket (same booking #) OK , separate tickets ....uh oh! - land, clear, check in again.

Yup - forgot I did this once - tix to London and separately purchased tix to Madrid = baggage claim, customs, recheck luggage, all to save 50 bucks. Last time I did that.

Yup - forgot I did this once - tix to London and separately purchased tix to Madrid = baggage claim, customs, recheck luggage, all to save 50 bucks. Last time I did that.

The other delight of separate tickets.....

Flight one's arrival delayed, missed connexion....

Your problem (no help)

I personally wouldn't like the idea of having my 7 reps in the "cargo" luggage...

they go through a lot of kicking & beating by the handlers...

then again, that's what happens when we buy our reps from the dealers & have them shipped from China...

I personally would put all the 7 reps in a watch case, all nicely wrapped, all stickers & protection removed, packed in my carry-on luggage...

if the Customs Officers ask me why I have so many watches I say, "none of your business, they're expensive watches & they're mine."

that would work???

if the Customs Officers ask me why I have so many watches I say, "none of your business, they're expensive watches & they're mine."

I find talking like this to customs officers always gets me through quickly and without hassle. I highly recommend JuiceMaker's approach.

there has been some shows on about folks who get talked into smuggling drugs

they have gotten caught because at their transfer their luggage went through customs - even though they never touched, it - it was just transferred

But again - put them in a watch case - if they are super reps, they won't know teh difference. Don't buy any boxes or papers - and if they ask you about them, just say you always owned them - if you just bought them, you would have original boxes

Personally ... youve got a better chance of pooh - poohing a handfull of 'worthless, cheap fakes' bought as gifts, than the none of your business, Ive always owned these $100,000 worth of pristine new dutiable items (for which I have no customs paperwork).

I personally wouldn't like the idea of having my 7 reps in the "cargo" luggage...

they go through a lot of kicking & beating by the handlers...

then again, that's what happens when we buy our reps from the dealers & have them shipped from China...

I personally would put all the 7 reps in a watch case, all nicely wrapped, all stickers & protection removed, packed in my carry-on luggage...

that would work???

The main problem here is getting OUT of China.

Chinese customs are simply not the same.

So in the cargo baggage is the best place , then when you arrive at the destination all that is needed,is to tell them

that these are not a commercial quantity, and simply gifts for the kids.

Best of luck.

Don't put them in carry on luggage even though you are in transit in Germany. I travel through Amsterdam in transit and have several times had my hand luggage scanned by customs. Once I had cigarettes seized and had to pay 300Euro penalty (6packs). The law is you are liable for customs regulation at the 1st point you enter the EU not only at your final destination so best place is in hold luggage.

The other point is that if your contact in China is charging you $2000 for these 7 reps then it wouldn't hurt to shop around as that's very high by Chinese standards.

Ken

He is not going to buy them much cheaper than they are available on the net. I know people who have actually be charged more than they could buy them elsewhere. I am in GZ twice a month on average and prices for nice swiss grade watches are expensive and for the layman hard to find. We pay $500 or even $800 for some models from the factory so $290 a watch on average is not expensive if they are best grade. I am sure they could be bought cheaper but 1st he has to find them and then try and buy them cheaper. If it was that easy to find $1000 watches for $100 there would be 1000's more people selling watches. The reality is quality is at a premium in GZ the crap is cheap but the nice quality is all the money

They may ask, where's the receipt?

Well... again, not a big concern. Since you're in transit in Germany. They are more concerns about drugs, guns rather than fake watches.

well, you could say that you've had them for years...

who would carry receipts for normal everyday items???

& if they ask why do you carry so many watchs on this trip???

"none of your F#$ken business, I'm on a business trip & I like wearing different watchs everyday, this is my lifestyle, you have a problem with that???"

maybe a bit harsh but, at the end of the day, Customs Officers can not tell us how we ought to live our lives.

everybody has different personal preferences...

what if they saw 7 new undies in your carry-on luggage...

are they gonna ask why don't you just carry 1???

what if they saw 7 new undies in your carry-on luggage...

are they gonna ask why don't you just carry 1???

Now what if he was going for 12 days?................. 7 new undies........

What are we talking here ........Going there.........or Coming back ?

Sorry.............. :D:D