When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My First Project

savage_here

Hey guys. So, a while back I purchased that Rolex-dialed, Radiomir case vintage watch from one of our dealers here. It's a 47mm and probably a bit big for me to pull off, but I decided to give it a shot. Well, when I got it, I hated it. It looked like crap on me, I hated the way that the lugs stuck straight out from the case and I hated the huge crown.

I thought I'd probably just sell it and be done with it. Well, it just sat here and collected dust and I never got around to selling it. So, the other day I just decided to jump in and start messing with it.

First thing I did was bend down the lugs. I was afraid I

Frankly, I think you made an excellent watch out of it!

I love that brushed case. It looks machine brushed! How did you manage to get so precise?!?

And the strap matching the lume color is a master's touch, IMHO. Also, that beige color matches the brushed SS in an extremely nice and unexpected way, taking the watch to an even higher level.

I used not to like vintage Pams, but I like this watch A LOT!

@rolli - Those look great man! Your projects will always put mine to shame!

@sssurfer - I just brushed it by hand with very small pieces of sandpaper. It's very tough and time consuming to get the curved look of the brushing around the corners. I basically did the rest of all the surfaces first and then finished with the top of all four corners. It took me quite a while though.

Yeah, I've had that strap laying around for a while. It was totally done except for punching the holes. I was hesitant to post it for sale because I don't have any more of that leather. So, I thought I'd just use it for myself. Both ends are actually longer than I would normally use for myself. But, I figure it will give it that extra-long vintage vibe, so what the heck. It did really end up matching the vintagized lume nicely.

If I could just fix the movement issue I'd be set!

BTW, what do you guys think of switching out the hands for gold ones instead of silver????

Savage

BTW, what do you guys think of switching out the hands for gold ones instead of silver????

DON'T DO IT!

That would ruin that absolutely unique balance between the cold tone of brushed SS and the warm tone of lume and strap.

With brushed SS goes silver, no doubt.

You created something unique, don't change it now! :pray:

P.S.: thanks for your reply on how you got it brushed. I was never able to go that same precision work.

DON'T DO IT!

That would ruin that absolutely unique balance between the cold tone of brushed SS and the warm tone of lume and strap.

With brushed SS goes silver, no doubt.

You created something unique, don't change it now! :pray:

Agreed, eleventy billion percent! I'm biased, but I'm not a fan of gold/brass hands. Don't change anything Savage!

Ok, ok, no gold hands. I get it! I don't have any anyway, so that an easy choice!

Yes, it looks pretty clean now, so I'm hoping that some wear will give it the right look. I don't think I'm inclined to artificially ding it up.

This movement issue is killing me. Gotta figure out what to do so that I can give it some wrist time.

Thanks for all the comments guys.

Best regards,

Savage

This movement issue is killing me. Gotta figure out what to do so that I can give it some wrist time.

If you messed up the keyless work, best advice is getting a watchsmith to fix it for you.

...But are you absolutely sure it's not just the stem a bit too long after sanding down the crown? So that just sanding down the stem for the same length amount wouldn't get it fixed?

If you messed up the keyless work, best advice is getting a watchsmith to fix it for you.

...But are you absolutely sure it's not just the stem a bit too long after sanding down the crown? So that just sanding down the stem for the same length amount wouldn't get it fixed?

Yeah, I didn't sand anything but the teeth of the crown and the outside edges and where the "+" is. Nothing on the inside. Everything should still fit exactly like stock. Need to have a watchsmith take a look. Or, find another movement to pop in.

Savage