When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

asian 7750 rotor sound & wobble

i got a new iwc portugieser with asian 7750, the rotor makes an annoying noise and sometimes spin like 5-10 times just when i shake my hand.

i know these are all normal even the rotor wobble is normal for eta7750 but my question if can i somehow oil the movement by myself to make it silent.

i mean, open caseback, drop some olive oil on rotor and its done? will it work or can it damage the movt.?

any help much appreciated

thanks

Olive oil is too thin. It wil drip all over the place and ruin the movement. Just use a small amount of ball baring grease (available at all hardware stores). Apply a small amount of grease in the gap where the ball bearings are located. You can use a toothpick (make it flat on 1 side) and just smear it in. Don't put in too much grease as it can couse drag making it hard for the rotor to spin and thus not winding properly anymore. When done right you can't see any grease when looking in the gap, not even with a loupe. So it's a very small amount, I think it equals 4~5 needle points. Then wipe the rotor clean and turn the rotor a couple of turns with your finger so that the grease gets evenly applied. I've done it to all my 7750s and it works like a charm... it reduces to noise with 90%!

Edited by Rolexman

well, today i bought this oil

http://www.myrastud.com/enter.html?target=...&lang=en-gb

and applied to rotor bearing just as said, i even applied some on the corgwheel which under the rotor mounted on it.

it seems somewhat better but i still hear cheap sounding noise...

or is the rotor alittle lose from teeth like lanikai said, because it was at first like chimming really loud, after oiling now it more like grinding and alittle more silent.

when rotor turning for winding sound is smooth but when the rotor turning other way freely it makes a cheap sound like grinding.

and it also doesnt spin like 5-10 anymore when i move my arm

thanks!

it seems somewhat better but i still hear cheap sounding noise...

or is the rotor alittle lose from teeth like lanikai said, because it was at first like chimming really loud, after oiling now it more like grinding and alittle more silent.

when rotor turning for winding sound is smooth but when the rotor turning other way freely it makes a cheap sound like grinding.

and it also doesnt spin like 5-10 anymore when i move my arm

Remove the movement from the case. If you still hear the noise, then the rotor or bearings are at fault. I would try cleaning & re-lubricating the rotor (& auto-wind module, if you are comfortable & have the tools to do so).

If the noise is gone, then the rotor may be scraping against the inside of the caseback, which can happen if you tighten the caseback too much or if the rotor is installed incorrectly (the gear teeth do not intersect properly). It can also happen if the watch or rotor were machined poorly, leaving insufficient clearance between the rotor & the caseback (remember there is little or no QC with reps & the movements contained within them).

well, today i bought this oil

So you still bought oil?..... jeezz.... There's a difference between oil and grease you know. Oil is way to liquid, that's why it doesn't reduce noise that well! Also the oil will spin all over the movement. Not right away but eventually after heating up and settling in. I do hope your movement will last .....

Edited by Rolexman

So you still bought oil?..... jeezz.... There's a difference between oil and grease you know. Oil is way to liquid, that's why it doesn't reduce noise that well! Also the oil will spin all over the movement. Not right away but eventually after heating up and settling in. I do hope your movement will last .....

ok im going to apply grease also, but then a VERY little because its actually for ship engines and not watch movt. It very thick.

Please check the oil i bought, its special high temp. for metal bearings and its not too liquid. and i also dont understand why oil would ruin the movt.

thanks

:blink:

Wow i definatly wouldnt do that. This isnt like oiling the motor on a blender or something.. "a drop" of oil would gum up the entire movement, and probably ruin the dial as well...

....i mean, open caseback, drop some olive oil on rotor and its done? will it work or can it damage the movt.?

thanks

i couldnt find grease so i didnt touch the movt. yet. But i opened again and looked the movt. everything looking fine, it keeps still good time and chronos work too, i cant see any sign of oil in the movt. Btw the sound he makes its similar to eta 7750 just alittle "rougher". at least its not anymre like jet turbine spining like at least 5-10 times per move and chimming like before. the quality of these a7750 seems really crap imo.. even the eta7750 can not be considered a piece of art.

the quality of these a7750 seems really crap imo.. even the eta7750 can not be considered a piece of art.

The ETA 7750 is considered one of the best and sturdiest chronograph movements in the world.... but hey, opinions vary.

BTW: I know you can't see the oil but believe me, it's there. Even a thin film layer can cause problems. That doesn't necessarily mean it will happen in your case as I don't know how much and where you aplied the oil. I do however know that if it reaches the hair spring you're in big trouble..... Look at The Zigmeister Zumba

Edited by Rolexman

• 3 months later...
Just to add to this.. make sure the rotor is secure on the teeth.. one of mine was a little loose.. It "chimed" every time I brought my hand up .. :lol:

I have the same problem. The rotor is not secure in my A7750. It wobbles and scrapes the case-back. I can see this through the crystal case-back.

What should I do? Open the case and tighten the screw in the center? I am new at this. This is my first rep.

Help :o

I have the same problem. The rotor is not secure in my A7750. It wobbles and scrapes the case-back. I can see this through the crystal case-back.

What should I do? Open the case and tighten the screw in the center? I am new at this. This is my first rep.

Help :o

If you have the tools to open the caseback, yes.

If the rotor looks like it is off-center or not sitting flat on top of the movement, that means the gear on its underside is not properly mating with the auto-wind gears below it. If you tighten the rotor with the gears misaligned, you will permanently damage the auto-wind module. So it might be best to remove the rotor (1 screw) & then gently reset it onto the movement, checking to be sure you see the gearing below the rotor turning as you rotate the rotor. If not, lift the rotor off & realign it until you see the gears turning in response to the rotor's movement. Once everything looks good, then tighten the screw only snugly - do not overtighten it. And be sure to use a proper screwdriver that fits the screw channel.

If in doubt, let a watchmaker handle this.