When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A big watch for a reason

freddy333

The 47mm Lange 31 is so named for its huge 31-day power reserve

31.jpg

To attain such large power reserves requires the movement be fitted with an unusually large barrel. The barrel alone takes up 2/3 of the case & requires a separate winding key to charge the gargantuan mainspring (the crown is used for time/date-setting only)

31key.jpg

I'm not impressed. Why is it that so many German watches have such a bland industrialist design to them? I'm not saying that what these watches can do is unimpressive; on the contrary - I think they are quite the technical achievements. They just look so boring to me.

I'm not impressed. Why is it that so many German watches have such a bland industrialist design to them? I'm not saying that what these watches can do is unimpressive; on the contrary - I think they are quite the technical achievements. They just look so boring to me.

What's boring? Many of the mongo sports chronos or aviator "instrument" watches are starting to look boringly repetitive or lacking in style to me. In this Lange, the overall aesthetic seems almost radical in comparison.

Just as Rolex (for example) looks bland and repetitive to me nowadays .... you picks yer poison...

I'm a huge fan of Lange and a good friend of mine has several, among them a Lange 1 and the Datograph, but in platinum. IMHO those are probably the most beautiful watches i've ever seen... and if you don't like the dial side, just turn 'em around and look at the stunning movement :wub:

The Lange 31 is IMHO not a beauty... the dial looks too plain and the case is just too big. 47mm is good for a vintage looking Fiddy, Radiomir or Big Pilot, but for for a classy and sopfiticated watch like Lange. But i think it's awesome they managed to get a 31 days power reserve from one mainspring... most impressive!

Freddy-

Thanks for posting. IMHO, it is one of those watches which is a classic example of "Why did they build it? - To prove that they could" I think it looks like I would expect a Lange to look - Teutonic Minimalism on the front with all the decoration on the inside. :lol: In truth, the requirement of a winding key completely ruins it for me. It is nothing more than a desk clock on a strap. Are you going to travel with that thing or base your travel plans on when the movement needs to be re-wound. Then again if you can afford the watch you can afford the watch butler to follow you around carrying the key prepared to rewind on a moment's notice.

Thanks for posting. IMHO, it is one of those watches which is a classic example of "Why did they build it?

I can only surmise as to Lange's reasoning behind the 31's creation...... But, unlike Rolex, Lange does aim at the collector/WIS market &, as we all know, we WISs tend to be quite fond of unique technology. And with the popularity of pocket watch-sized wrist watches (many of IWC's popular wrist watches actually contain a pocket watch movement), I think Lange felt (correctly) that if Panerai, IWC, Breitling, et al, can sell so many big watches that have no technological requirement for their over-sized cases, then Lange could probably find a number of high end buyers who would be interested in a similarly oversized watch that does. And, with designs such as the Lange 1, I think most would agree that Lange has never been 1 to shy away from thinking outside the box.

I have to agree with Freddy with the points above where Lange does seem to be a step ahead when it comes to technology in their watches rather than just following trends. But I do say, that some of their designs are striking.

And their 31 is what I would consider to be a balance between design and technology. At 47mm, it's not stealthy, but how impressive is 31 days worth of carefree watch wearing? Needing only to wind it once a month? To me, it 's something to be considered when one is "WIS enough" to appreciate the intrinsic value of his watches, but gets annoyed at the fact that he has to wind them every 2-3 days!

But then there's also the functionality factor. Did you know there's another 31-day watch out there---the Jacob Quenttin? Seven barrels and a unique time-display system. Unforunately, early reviews of that watch say that it's failed to live up to its' standard of actually running for its' stated 31 days. The Lange, on the other hand; although not tested (backed by hard evidence of functionality), has been trusted to perform as expected.

What I worry about, though how the 31 day power reserve system affects its' timekeeping, since a much larger mainspring would mean larger variances in torque between initial wind, halfway, and near empty. But some would also argue that the same issues also occur in standard manual-wind watches as well. Anyone care to chime in?

Langes are in the top 2 or 3 most beautiful watches, in both form and function, to my eyes. But the 31 is an ugly design housing a completely unimpressive technical achievement. How long does it take set a watch? Does a winding key seem like an unelegant solution to anyone else? If I were going to shell out the money for a Lange I'd go for a the 1815 on left 31 days out of 30.

Freddy-

Thanks for posting. IMHO, it is one of those watches which is a classic example of "Why did they build it? - To prove that they could" I think it looks like I would expect a Lange to look - Teutonic Minimalism on the front with all the decoration on the inside. :lol: In truth, the requirement of a winding key completely ruins it for me. It is nothing more than a desk clock on a strap. Are you going to travel with that thing or base your travel plans on when the movement needs to be re-wound. Then again if you can afford the watch you can afford the watch butler to follow you around carrying the key prepared to rewind on a moment's notice.

I gotta agree with this. What if you let go while winding, does your room turn into one of those tea cup rides with you as the teacup? Does it have a bell alarm like the old clocks with big keys? That just cracks me up. And, more practically, what if you loose the winding key? :o

But, Freddy, thanks a ton for posting this. I LOVE learning about obscure (or not that obscure but just strange) watch trivia. Never would have seen this otherwise. That's why I love this place! :)