When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Can We Have A Custom Case Commissioned?

UncleJay

Sly gifted Arnie a VERY special 5218-201/A during the opening of the Berlin Planet Hollywood in 1996. What's so special you ask, it was gold?! Yep, a gold Logo ..... how cool would that be? I for one would want a few.

How difficult would this be? I'm working on Pre-V sew-in buckles molded/cast from an original, so that's done. Dials and hands would be (dare I say) DSN 201/As, and movements aren't a problem. I was thinking the case could come from the same dealer who made the 18K Franck Muller cases.

So, would this be possible or am I just dreaming?

zgoldlogo1.jpgzgoldlogo2.jpg

With the price of gold at over $900 an ounce I would say that it's a no hoper the average Panerai case is around 100 grams or 3 troy ounces so it's $3000 for the gold before you start you would have a cost of a minimum of $4000 for a Fake!

I don't think there would be many takers due to the cost. In terms of getting the cases made up that would actually be not that difficult. Any gold caster can make a mold of the case and cast the case. The difficulty comes in the crown and the non-gold portion of the mechanism, the CG and potentially the threaded strap holders as I am not sure they can be cast to that level of accuracy. Finally, I am under the impression (but I don't own one so I don't know) that his dials are good but not that good. If you are going to sick $5,000 into a Franken it better be 99.999%. It would be cool as hell to have a solid gold Luminor though. :D

From what I understand the 18kt FM cases were produced some time ago. When I bought mine from EL he said they had been produced well before the price of gold took off. Who knows if the factory is still open?

I second the question about the fastening points. My gold watches all have SS in crital attachment and wear areas. I would assume Panerai would do the same. That seems like quite the job for a rep factory to take up.

There was a system of plating developed 100 years ago called "Pinchbeck" so good was this that many people who owned heirlooms thought to be gold. Only found out they weren't when they tried to sell the cases in the late 70's when gold went up to an all time high. I don't know if this system is still available but it would seem a perfect way to make "Gold" copy watches. Would be ironic really rep watch in rep gold!

The original "Gold Logo" was not solid gold but rather gold plated. The plating was done by Vacor AG, the same company who did their Pre-V PVD work.

I had thought to make it solid gold, but it seems too costly. I could always start with a 140 case and mod it to fit the Logo movement/dial. Maybe a custom "Logo" dial to fit an auto movement would be best?

Below you'll find a link to Vacor, they do great work, check them out.

VACOR AG

it's very simple made by a cabinetmaker.

same wood with original finish and same hinges and magnetic catch like the original box.

the brass and nickel-plated oval-shaped plate with the logo and panerai can be made from my engaver.

the velvet inlay made by a tailoring.

cabinetmaker costs per hour = euro 60,-- ( i'm in discussion )

plate costs engraver complete = euro 70,--

velvet inlay costs = ? ( i have to check )

cheers

rolli

images of the gen box:

post-2837-1211117660_thumb.jpg post-2837-1211117669_thumb.jpg post-2837-1211117703_thumb.jpg

The original "Gold Logo" was not solid gold but rather gold plated. The plating was done by Vacor AG, the same company who did their Pre-V PVD work.

I had thought to make it solid gold, but it seems too costly. I could always start with a 140 case and mod it to fit the Logo movement/dial. Maybe a custom "Logo" dial to fit an auto movement would be best?

VACOR AG

That sounds great :)

it's very simple made by a cabinetmaker.

same wood with original finish and same hinges and magnetic catch like the original box.

the brass and nickel-plated oval-shaped plate with the logo and panerai can be made from my engaver.

the velvet inlay made by a tailoring.

cabinetmaker costs per hour = euro 60,-- ( i'm in discussion )

plate costs engraver complete = euro 70,--

velvet inlay costs = ? ( i have to check )

cheers

rolli

Sounds good to me..

I woud be in for 1 or 2.

Cheers

for a long time i played with the idea to make a case in gold.

a local galvanic company can make this with a 1000 fine-gold plating ( 50 micron ).

in all gold colors.

previously the stainless steel case must be coated with copper for a better bonding.

the price for a case is very reasonable.

rolli

VACOR AG

hahaha... we have a uncle family... :p

that will be enthralling...

i did'nt know that a 201A in gold was produced.

this is great...so i can make this model as one of my next project.

the 140 was always cruising around in my head. i've talked many times about the 140 dial with a local dial factory.

basically it would be possible to manufacture this dial with a real carbon plating, costs ca. euro 350 - 400,-- for a dial,

and i would have to deliver the markers and numerals.

the 201A is easier for a first gold pam and it's pre-vendome.

so... i will look around for the single ingredients.

rolf

Rolli IS THE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!! Need an Uncle Rolli?

Rolli-

Sounds fabulous. So the process would be to find/fabricate a good 201 case and then send it to the plater for copper and gold plating. 50 microns is outrageous. I wonder how that equates to 10k gold filled which was always the best plating on vintage watches. I have one or two and the plating is still fully intact. If we can find or make a good case I would definitely be in for this. It just can't be the standard really weird "rose gold". :lol:

but for further thoughts, you need a very very good 201A logo dial.

the rest is simple.

standard case, v - crown-guard, palp crown or similar, davidsen caseback, hands, non ar sapphire,

movement etc.. etc...

original gen logo buckle, you can buy it over an ad from panerai, i've talked with panerai = euro 100,--

watchmaker work, and then copper coating and after fine-gold plating, reassemble.

rolli

but for further thoughts, you need a very very good 201A logo dial.

Agree... this is and always has been the most difficult ... one step forward, two steps back :(

But i'd love a complete 201A with box!!

For reference i have this picture of the crownguard of a gen 201A

post-188-1212068521_thumb.jpg

one to the left... one to the right... one step forward.... and hop...hop...hop....... :lol:

rolli

Agree... this is and always has been the most difficult ... one step forward, two steps back :(

But i'd love a complete 201A with box!!

For reference i have this picture of the crownguard of a gen 201A

post-188-1212068521_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...