When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

All this talk about Explorer II...

By-Tor

Guest carlsbadrolex

Why do you do this? Do you think we like looking at that thing of yours? (damn that almost sounded like a line from BrokeBackMountain)...

Yeah, your right... we cant get enough of it. (yep, definately from BRM)!

Why do you do this? Do you think we like looking at that thing of yours? (damn that almost sounded like a line from BrokeBackMountain)...

Yeah, your right... we cant get enough of it. (yep, definately from BRM)!

I guess this means that you like it.

Thanks (I guess). :)

I am man enough to say I totally LUST after bytors beautiful ''thing''... someday it will be mine... or one just like it :)

the white faced exp II is the most perfect watch ever to wear the rolex name. I pray to the watch gods they don't tard it up like they are the rest of the line...

bytor, thank you for the chubby you have given the watch loving portion of my brain... keep the pics of it coming... and if ever the day you are bored of the perfection you now tease us with, give me a call... I will gladly take her off your wrist...

@By_Tor: Beautiful pictures and very nice watch as always.

Quick question:

If the explorer II rep comes with swiss eta 2892-a2, it shouldn't have any issue with handstack, am i correct?

can someone clarify that for me?

Thanks guys.

No... unfortunately the 2892 uses the different hand stack. That means hour hand below the GMT hand. Only Rolex caliber 3185 and this questionable ETA 2836-2 modification have the correct stack.

Beautiful, clean, classic elegant design - just perfect.

Superb photo too, By-tor.

OK, I need one.

I'll take a risk here - which dealer has a decent one?

Congrats w.genzo!

There are 3 different versions of the correct stack Explorer II.

1. The version 1, that I have (in the picture). Takes genuine dial. Cyclops/date and winding crown positioned correctly.

2. The version 2. Almost impossible to tell the difference between version 1 and 2. River was able to source this. Probably out of stock right now. Cyclops/date and the winding crown positioned correctly. Does NOT take genuine dial, as the dial diameter has changed. dluddy and ziggy have tried and no go. The black version is, imho, hands down the best Rolex replica ever produced. Very accurate.

3. The newest version, version 3. This is the one PT can source. The black one is still very nice rep, but not quite on the same level with v1 and v2. Excellent crown but cyclops/date positioned too right, and the hour markers are positioned too close to the minute ticks. It's beyond my comprehension why they made those backwards changes.

I have reviewed versions 1 and 3 in my section.

According to Angus there is a new correct hand stack movement in production, which should be more reliable. The movement in this old version is a reliable ETA, so it's not going to die or anything... but the hour hand might occasionally get out of sync (slip). That means it's not following the minute hand. My ExpII has been 100% perfect, but my correct stack GMT is a bit "wobbly".

There's a way to work over this problem though... if your hour hand starts to slip, it's due to the badly constructed transfer gear. But it's no problem... when you have the hour hand in the desired position, roll the minute hand over the dial for 24 hours (from the hack position). This makes the hour hand and minute hand "attach" with eachother. Just don't touch the independently adjustable hour hand anymore and always set the time from the hack position. All my problems have been gone when I heard this trick from bklm1234, and everything has been in perfect sync since then. Don't ask me the technical explanation for this, but it worked for me and bert.

The version 2 is available from bklm1234, but it comes with wrong hand stack, which wouldn't be any problem for me... but the GMT hand is way too thick, which is bit of an eyesore.

Hope this helps!

i would looove to see a pic of version 3 ....

anyone ?

Frank

Here you go. Just keep in mind that I didn't know about the v1 and v2 when I wrote those old reviews. I thought all correct stack ExpII's were the same.

v3 white:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=45338

v3 black:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=45339

v1 franken:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=61211

Congrats w.genzo!

There are 3 different versions of the correct stack Explorer II.

2. The version 2. Almost impossible to tell the difference between version 1 and 2. River was able to source this. Probably out of stock right now. Cyclops/date and the winding crown positioned correctly. Does NOT take genuine dial, as the dial diameter has changed. dluddy and The Zigmeister have tried and no go. The black version is, imho, hands down the best Rolex replica ever produced. Very accurate.

From what I know, and that's EXTEMELY limited when it comes to anything Rolex, your # 2 seems to be the most accurate (in black). I have one of these, and I know the stack isn't what Rolex puts out, but what the hill I'm not paying Rolex prices. Also, the movement in this particular watch is a 2892-A2, which is the reason I purhased it. There may well be flaws in it, but who's going to come up to me and examine it with 10X glasses? No one, but the watchmaker and he knows what I have. I don't think you can purchase these watches any longer, but if you do find one then snatch the critter up and tell yourself how lucky you were to have found it. Could I have mods done on it? Sure, but why? Tim

I want one of these. A friend of mine at work has the black dial (gen) but I think the white is vastly superior.

Dunno, I thought the same thing, but after I received it I have to admit I like it as well, if not more, as the white one. I had a gen white one and gave it to my son when he graduated from college. This one works as well, if not better, than the one I passed on.

Most Rolex hardcores and purists think that white version is the only one ExpII. I dunno... I like the black one a lot. Actually I wouldn't mind owning both.

Most Rolex hardcores and purists think that white version is the only one ExpII. I dunno... I like the black one a lot. Actually I wouldn't mind owning both.

Perhaps in my case, since I had a white face, this is different and new to me. Can't say it's my favorite, but, it is a nice appearing watch and (so far) spot on. Funny thing about this one compared to the gen white one I had, the cyclops on this is easier to read! Good variation. Tim