When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Andrew stole a tourist's GMT and mailed it to me!

looseends

So I've been lurking for a few weeks - just waiting for my first rep. After discovering the forum(s) (both RWGs), I read up a bit and settled on Andrew/Trusty Time as my dealer. I always wanted a GMT Master - big Magnum fan, and I prefer Pepsi to Coke, too - so I ordered the $238 with ETA 2836-2 movement, and waited. And I can't begin to describe how helpful the forum was - I probably would have bailed on the purchase without knowing how Trusty takes payment, and then I would have been racked with anxiety waiting for it to arrive. Thankfully the experiences posted here helped me out a lot. So here's my timeline:

May 8 ordered

May 9 confirmation/tracking email received

May 12 shipped (also about when info available on EMS Site)

May 14 customs JFK

May 19 released!

May 20 at my door

And it is exactly as pictured, and almost exactly as described. It's listed as a uni-directional bezel - but it actually is bi-directional! This is awesome, because it was one of the larger "flaws" in my eyes. The other issue for me is the bezel insert font - more on that in a minute. So here's a couple pics, pardon the lack of quality.

2n0v7l1.jpg

fjnqsz.jpg

So the bezel font... <_< I purchased a replacement with the right font, and I just spent about an hour fooling with it. I'm horrible at this kind of detail work, so I shouldn't have attempted it. Long story short, I'm back to the original insert as I couldn't get the other one to fit well (sanded, etc.) and now I have a nick in the original. It's all very frustrating, don't ask me to explain. I'm actually not clear on the gen font anyway, serifs or sans-serif? Depends on gen year? See, I don't even know.

:good: But I'm very happy with this watch. I feel I've gotten quite an education here on what some of the issues are rep vs. gen, but these are things I would have no way of noticing otherwise. As far as I'm concerned, it looks authentic enough. If I wanted gen, I would have bought one. I couldn't reason the $$$, which is why I started looking at reps.

Thanks again to everyone for making this great community. I'll be hanging around, as there's a couple other reps I want now :thumbsupsmileyanim: Bell & Ross BR2, and a Patek Phillippe if you must know.

Nice looking watch, Congrats.

I look at the rehaut thickness and depth... is this perchance a noobmariner case? Does anyone know? Obviously Andrew sells noob subs. Date window position looks good, wrong hand stack, no big deal, dial looks good, cg's could use a little work-par for the course. Not a bad starting point for a GMT, a few mods and it could be very nice

Yes, this is the Noob GMT with wrong hand stack. But it has the good dial which is important. The watch isn't very accurate in the default condition, but an excellent base.

Change:

Thick GMT hand

Crown

Insert

Bezel

File the cg's

and you have hell of a rep.

Good to know Andrew can source this good one now.

Congrats Looseends, you did well. And welcome to the forum!

PS: You can get a Pepsi insert from Ebay, which will fit your watch nicely with a little bit of sanding and glue. Try seller "Jewelryoutlet". The guy sells crap too, but his Pepsi insert is actually very good... perfect colors.

Yes, this is the Noob GMT with wrong hand stack. But it has the good dial which is important. The watch isn't very accurate in the default condition, but an excellent base.

Change:

Thick GMT hand

Crown

Insert

Bezel

File the cg's

and you have hell of a rep.

Good to know Andrew can source this good one now.

Congrats Looseends, you did well. And welcome to the forum!

PS: You can get a Pepsi insert from Ebay, which will fit your watch nicely with a little bit of sanding and glue. Try seller "Jewelryoutlet". The guy sells crap too, but his Pepsi insert is actually very good... perfect colors.

Thank By-Tor, alligoat, toadtorrent. I've seen By-Tors threads - awesome info - I actually ordered before I saw those in particular (more worried about vendors). So luckily I did get the watch with a lot of potential. Any recommendations on bezel/insert replacement at the same time? Those are probably the most glaring issues in my eyes.

FYI I did get a bezel insert from ebay, perfect color and font looked right, but that is the one I screwed up. So now I'm thinking to replace the bezel and insert at the same time, but knowing my luck I need someone else to do it.

Thanks for the compliments everybody. By-Tor, you rock.

You're welcome!

How did you "screw up" the insert? Some aftermarket inserts simply don't fit around the crystal and there's not much you can do.

The Jewelryoutlet one fits perfectly. But you have to make sure that you order the insert for the 16710 sapphire version, because the plastic crystal models (1675, etc.) have smaller crystal diameter, and your insert won't fit. This is important.

PS: You don't even need to sand it down, but it looks nicer when the insert merges smoothly with the bezel edge.

You're welcome!

How did you "screw up" the insert? Some aftermarket inserts simply don't fit around the crystal and there's not much you can do.

The Jewelryoutlet one fits perfectly. But you have to make sure that you order the insert for the 16710 sapphire version, because the plastic crystal models (1675, etc.) have smaller crystal diameter, and your insert won't fit. This is important.

PS: You don't even need to sand it down, but it looks nicer when the insert merges smoothly with the bezel edge.

A-ha! Yes, I think I got the 16750 originally. I would say it was too small, it seemed so close to 'snapping in' but I couldn't do it. But you're talking about this one.

A-ha! Yes, I think I got the 16750 originally.

That was your problem.

Get THIS one. Should fit without any hassle.

PS: This same seller uses the name "WHOLESALEOUTLET990" as well.

I'll mail it to the Vatican. Ask for "Benny" - he'll be holding it for you.

This better not be a trick. The last time I went to meet a "Benny" at the Vatican I was hooded, thrown in a van, and sold into slavery. I am a little warier now...

Bingo, bango! :lol: I got my new insert and fit it in! Special thanks to By-Tor for pointing out the right insert (earlier in thread) - it did require sanding of the edge. A few passes around and it fits seamlessly, no glue either. I'm a little paranoid that it will pop off, but I can't easily get at it, so I'm thinking it's pretty secure. I'd also prefer the ease of prying it up should I want to get other inserts and change the look once in a while.

Okay, pics. The numbers are too close to the edge I think, but I prefer the font. :good:

EDIT: Actually, the printing is way too close to the edges. The 18, 16, and arrow all overlap into the inner ring. The more I look at it, the more I can't stand it. :angry: I've contacted the ebay seller about it, the auction image was clearly not the same. We'll see what happens.

21dfnsi.jpg

2cpuuzn.jpg

Cue By-Tor "Now get to work on those CGs. Did I make a tutorial for nothing?!" One day By-Tor, one day. :p

Edited by looseends

Bad luck with the insert. I never had issues with mine. Here's another (potentially) good insert seller. Actually this insert has the Sans Serif font and the numbers are a bit smaller. Good price.

http://tinyurl.com/5nsufj

PS: The crown guards are ridiculously easy to trim. Just unscrew the crown to the winding position, take off the bezel (or protect it with tape). Then take a very thin jeweler's file and file the bottoms straight. Look at gen pics and see how they're shaped. You simply can't f*ck it up, because you don't have to reshape them or anything. The bottoms only need to be "straightened"... and you don't even have to take off the crown. Good luck!

If you're still unsure about this, I can make a picture of the procedure.