When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A friend at work is going to order a rep Tuesday

teddy boy

My friend has already selected the watch, it comes in Asian and supposed genuine Swiss ETA varieties. The difference in price for the two movements is $160. The watch is a gift for the guy's dad and he wants to get the best possible. Obviously he doesn't want to pay for SWISS ETA and end up with something of much lower quality. I know that he's going to ask my advice before he orders. Informed opinions as to the chance that he would actually get the Swiss ETA would be greatly apreciated.

In that he is seeking the "best", the ETA is his obvious choice. I know that there is the possibility of getting an ETA clone but, it will still be a higher quality movement than the DG2813. The ETA clones are done so well (probably on the same machinery), that ETA parts are interchangeable and therefore it could be serviced or repaired with genuine parts. Since he plans to give this as a gift to his father, longevity and ability to repair should be high priority. If you have fear of an ETA clone, buy from a dealer known for top service and products and ask questions prior to your purchase.

depends on the dealer and the specific movement in question. Some movements are harder to get in ETA thus you might get a clone instead. If its a basic submariner then yeah no problem go for the ETA.. but if its a Panerai or a watch with a 7750 chronograph movement then, BEWARE. let us know the dealer and the exact watch, and we;ll let you know what to do, OR we'll recommend what dealer to use.

dizz

At the end of the day, both movements will tell the time, one will just cost less than the other ;)

Personally, I can't see the point in spending extra just to have a Swiss movement, other than 'bragging rights', as the performance of Asian movements is perfectly adequate for the intended use :)

Thanks for all of the input. I chose Eurotimez for my friend because what I've read here seemed so positive. I have also corresponded with Eurotimez on my friend's behalf and they were very responsive. I'll post to let everyone know how the transaction goes.