When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watch rather than a ring for engagement - has anyone else done this?

i'm confused with the first part of your story......

The guy got a watch for engagement? I did not know guys "got" anything for engagement. I have never heard of a male engagement ring.

As far as a watch for your future fiance, I would hope you cleared that with her.

In any event I would get the ring, not a watch. It is timeless. A 2k watch is not.

Get her a watch for an anniversary or more common as a wedding present the day of your wedding.

Yes, definitley no reps.......probably should add that my brother already has two gens, a Pam 005 and an IWC Aquatimer Cousteau Diver.

Datejust and a De Ville, good choices.

i'm confused with the first part of your story......

The guy got a watch for engagement? I did not know guys "got" anything for engagement. I have never heard of a male engagement ring.

As far as a watch for your future fiance, I would hope you cleared that with her.

In any event I would get the ring, not a watch. It is timeless. A 2k watch is not.

Get her a watch for an anniversary or more common as a wedding present the day of your wedding.

Guys getting a gift is becoming more and more common (I think it's a great idea :D). A woman i work with just got engaged... she got a big rock... and she bought him a flat panel 46" lcd hdtv

Hmmm, I wonder what he gets when they are getting married :lol:

Longines, Baume & Mercier and Oris all have great looking quality watches for a modest price.

Especially the white dial Longines Master series is very classic looking. Also the Tag Heuer Monza could be a nice and stylish choice.

Wow, what a way to get a gift for engagement! My, how the women have changed!

I think that it is a nice gesture for the wife to be to purchase him a watch, though IMO she should get a good idea of what his tastes and preferences are then purchase a watch based on those, rather than to have him pick it out.

Call me old fashioned, but are not surprises much better received?

A simple classic dress watch would be the only thing that would stand the test of time.

Wow, what a way to get a gift for engagement! My, how the women have changed!

I think that it is a nice gesture for the wife to be to purchase him a watch, though IMO she should get a good idea of what his tastes and preferences are then purchase a watch based on those, rather than to have him pick it out.

Call me old fashioned, but are not surprises much better received?

Hi folks,

Well, my brother recently got engaged, and, when the subject of engagement rings came up, his fiance suggested that if he didn't want a ring, she would buy him a watch instead - he could choose, but it would have to be white-faced (to signify the engagement), under

Vintage watches I think are a neat idea...when they are older than 40 years...it's no longer considered cheap and used!

I'll second that. I'll go further and say say she should look at getting a white/silver dial Rolex Oyster from the year of his birth. You're looking at a couple of hundred over and above that budget. Nothing says timeless more IMO. Will give you a referral if you drop me a PM.