When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need advise on old case - 7753

yellomen

Hi guys,

I have an old case PAM196. I've had it for years and years and have worn it quite a lot. But i've not modded this one yet and that's why it doesn't get much wristtime anymore.

I've read somewhere that not all old case PAM196's can handle a 7753 mvt. Could someone please tell me what to look for in the case, so i can determine if i can fit in a swiss 7753.

It is not even for myself as i have too many projects going on right now, so i'm going to sell it anyway. But i need to be able to advise correctly when i'm offering it for sale :D

Thanx in advance!

F-

I have refit a couple and as far as I know the issue is not the case. It is the movement spacer, chrono pushers and potentially the date set button. The movement spacer came in 2 flavors - one with built-in chrono pusher extenders and one without. The implication being that you need to look at the chrono pushers. You can't get the pusher extenders out so you need to have the shorter pusher "stems" for it to work with that spacer and visa versa. Also the date set button does work but you need to make sure there is a hole in the spacer. The 7750 spacers I have seen don't have it and that is why the button will not move. The 7753 spacers do.

-Kruz

Hi Kruz,

Thanx for the explanation! If i understand you correct you say that all old case PAM196's can be converted to 7753 version?

I have one with a spacer without build-in chrono pushers externder i guess. Here is a picture i just took. So if there is an extra tunnel drilled to make room for the date adjustment pusher, this can be used for a 7753...?

pam196-caseback-open.jpg

@Dani ...If i understand Kruzer's answer correct it looks like all old case PAM196's can be used. It seems like he did the job several times, so i have no reason to doubt it won't work with mine.

@Kostas ... looks like yours and mine are from the same period. Only mine has the really cool stickers on the movement :p

No kiddin' but i think your is exactly the same, so i hope Kruzer will chime on and give a verdict. But from what i understand from it, it can be done... with a little work of course!

Well, Ziggy has done at least 2 for me. I don't know how many variants of "old cases" there are though and it doesn't mean they all work. One of mine had irresolvable problems but I had assumed it was doe to someone else's botched attempts. I had thought there was one factory which did the original Asian low beat 7750 and then the first generation 7753. The second factory came out with the inferior version but with the better 7750 movement and only after the first factory stopped making them. I believe the actual case itself has the same measurements and location of crown and pusher holes on both new and old. The dial sits at the same height as well. So unless one version has a very shallow caseback they should work (assuming the spacer is as previously discussed and the dateset button is functional).

Well, The Zigmeister has done at least 2 for me. I don't know how many variants of "old cases" there are though and it doesn't mean they all work. One of mine had irresolvable problems but I had assumed it was doe to someone else's botched attempts. I had thought there was one factory which did the original Asian low beat 7750 and then the first generation 7753. The second factory came out with the inferior version but with the better 7750 movement and only after the first factory stopped making them. I believe the actual case itself has the same measurements and location of crown and pusher holes on both new and old. The dial sits at the same height as well. So unless one version has a very shallow caseback they should work (assuming the spacer is as previously discussed and the dateset button is functional).

Ok then i must order a 7753 movment and use my lello dw 7753 :)

The old case that used to be called the heavy case works. I have three of them and they work great. I think the second factory case had more flaws and the S/S was slightly lighter. I don't know if anyone was ever able to put a 7753 in the newer case.

The Zigmeister's mastery of the subject should clear up the fine details.

CM

• 1 month later...
Very usefull info guys. Now I just need to find one of these cases. Missed Yellomen's when it went up for sale.

Getting the old case was the easy part for me... getting the mov't and getting it installed has taken me 2 years......