When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Another Reason to hate Paypal

stilty

We all hate them, and I hate them even more! I usually leave my funds in my PP account for future purchases, but I had to pull some out this morning to pay my CNC guy.

Anyway, the exchange rate that PP gave me is: 1 U.S. Dollar = 0.964195 Canadian Dollars

I checked my bank, and if I was to sell them 1 U.S. Dollar, it would net me 0.995241 Canadian Dollars. That is a 0.031046% swing in Paypal's favor. I called their customer service, and they said the difference is due to daily market fluctuation.

Stilty,

NEVER leave funds in your paypal account. Especially if you sell stuff as well. Set yourself up with a 2nd checking account not linked to your primary one for your paypal funds. When you pay, always pay with a credit card incase you get scammed you have the protection of your CC company to fall back on and not Paypal's almost worthless dispute resolution.

If Paypal puts a hold on your account for anyreason, they won't have the funds in your account to mess with. You'll still be able to use them.

Oh I have raged against them often over this, you see I get paid in USD but I need to convert to AUD before sending a WU to my supplier.

Even on very large withdrawals of over $1000USD I usually only pick up about 20 or 30AUD which is way in PP favour.

I have told them that I have monitored the exchange rate through some of the best currency convertors on the net and they all give me a figure much different to theirs but they claim that theirs is more accurate......yeah right. <_<

Ken

Stilty,

NEVER leave funds in your paypal account. Especially if you sell stuff as well. Set yourself up with a 2nd checking account not linked to your primary one for your paypal funds. When you pay, always pay with a credit card incase you get scammed you have the protection of your CC company to fall back on and not Paypal's almost worthless dispute resolution.

If Paypal puts a hold on your account for anyreason, they won't have the funds in your account to mess with. You'll still be able to use them.

Good ideas. I think I will set up a new account next week for that purpose. I also like to leave funds in the account for my sales as well, in case anything goes south, the money is there for a quick refund if necessary.