When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

If You Had $3000 To Spend On Reps

M5Man

Since I am considering parting with my beloved gen Breitling Cosmonaute and will have some cash to spend what should I spend it on? Here is my current list that I think I want. I think I should be able to get between 8-10 nice reps.

PAM 187

Omega Planet Ocean 4th Gen.

Breitling Bentley

The new IWC Jones from EL

MBW Double red vintage - maybe single red

A nice and close Vacheron Constantine (open to suggestions here)

PAM 127

MBW 1680 - $380

PAM 127 - $330

Breitling Navitimer - $210

IWC GST - $210

VC Overseas - $200

PAM 187 - $400

PAM 63 - $430

PAM 111 - $320

Omega PO - $170

PAM 212 - $230

Rolex 6263 - $220

Very good suggestions, but if accuracy is important, I would definitely include a FM Conquistador with the ETA 2892 movement, a Cartier Tank Franchise with the correct ETA 2000 movement. In both case, genine dials can be sourced, and both would be near PERFECT. The PAMs and Omegas are nice, but I've yet to find one that a true enthusists would not be able to tell its a fake. The Breitling Navitimer and Avenger Chronographs would also be good choices, as they use movements very similar to the gen, and gen dials can be sourced. I would generally shy away from the Rolexes for two reasons: 1) there is no movement like a gen Rolex movement (unlike many of hte other reps using similar or the same movement as the gen); and 2) Rolex uses 904L steel, which FEELS different in the hand than the more common 316L steel used for our reps (and by 99% of the watch industry)... While these are likely differences that only you would know, the beauty of this hobby is really in appreciating the forger's art, and I would say that the closer they come to the gens, the better.... just my two cents.

I do tend to agree with you here, accuracy is very important to me. Part of the reason that I hesitate to even sell my gen Brietling. It is by far and away the nicest watch that I own. The only reason that I even consider selling it is that I find myself wearing my reps more often than it; and I fear damaging it. The reps are so close now that only true afficianados can tell the difference.

Very good suggestions, but if accuracy is important, I would definitely include a FM Conquistador with the ETA 2892 movement, a Cartier Tank Franchise with the correct ETA 2000 movement. In both case, genine dials can be sourced, and both would be near PERFECT. The PAMs and Omegas are nice, but I've yet to find one that a true enthusists would not be able to tell its a fake. The Breitling Navitimer and Avenger Chronographs would also be good choices, as they use movements very similar to the gen, and gen dials can be sourced. I would generally shy away from the Rolexes for two reasons: 1) there is no movement like a gen Rolex movement (unlike many of hte other reps using similar or the same movement as the gen); and 2) Rolex uses 904L steel, which FEELS different in the hand than the more common 316L steel used for our reps (and by 99% of the watch industry)... While these are likely differences that only you would know, the beauty of this hobby is really in appreciating the forger's art, and I would say that the closer they come to the gens, the better.... just my two cents.

PAM 187

PAM 217

PAM 001 - modded

Breitling Avenger Seawolf Ti

Omega PO

PAM 192

PAM 127

PAM 212

PAM 036

MBW DRSD

PP 5053

........maybe i have exceeded the 3000$...but who cares....it is only a "game"...

cannot belive that I haven't put all the PAMs...something strange started happening to me...

well definitely too much chronos on my list...or not?!!!

@cwai02...really nice list...good taste...

I am with RobertK on this one. Sell or swap for another gen if you are bored of the Breitling. It won't take that long to save up for you're next rep. Just buy them one at a time as you can afford or desire and enjoy them.

Of course I didn't take my own advice on buying slowly. One year and twenty something watches later... :lol: After all, this sport is addictive. ;)

Couldn't agree more about selling the gen for reps. Generally speaking, reps are expensed...typically worthless over time. The gens continue to be worth something.

Gens for gens. Reps for reps....

There are some great buys on gens if you do some research.

But for what it's worth...

Great buys in gens (note I assume all used but near mint, form reputable sources) that all fit your range: SMP GMT, Speedy Pro, PO, Datejust, GMT II, EXP II, EXP I, Zenith Dual Time (port royal and class), Zenith Chronomaster T, IWC GST, IWC Aquatimer....

get a new gen or two for your 3K

but...

Great buys in somewhat uncommon accurate reps: MBW Vintage SD, MBW Vintage Sub, WM custom creations, FM Conquistador, WM Yachty, EXP I...

Just my 2 smackeroons...

Quality over quantity, w/ accuracy first and versitility second:

Gold Dress watch solid 18k muller casablanca $1200

SS/black dial semi-dress watch: Swiss black dial Daytona $650;

SS/Sillver dial you can wear on any ovccasion, Tux to T-shirt: VC overseas, silver dial $200

fasjionably big funky watch: New mvmt AR coated, PAM 111E w/ dial lume/ aftermarket crown and guard $400

sport watch: 4th Gen PO $200

Use the remaining $400 for Jos's ladies overseas and a nice dinner--you're going to need it!