When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

With all this fuss about the CHS on the GMT II...

Feta1

I'll admit i have been swept up into the whole "I hope the produce more correct hand stacks (CHS) so I can get one"... but the more I think about how noticeable is it really that one hand is not stacked correctly over the other? I know the hardcore folks will say that is a must and a dead give away... but I can't think of anyone outside these forums or an AD maybe that would be able to spot that. With that it mind I know i never "call out anyone" (one time I bumped into someone at a bar who appeared to have a 4th gen 42mm PO as it had the short hands, gap in the bracelet... and tho he was talking like it was a gen I just said to him "nice watch". I don't know if other members enjoy calling people out ir looking for flaws in someone's watch... but that's not how I roll.

Time will tell if the CHS provides a less reliable movement... and if it does the CHS and higher price really worth that?!? Curious what other members think... ^_^

The biggest thing about this movement from my understanding is that is functions the same way as the genuine GMT. It has something to do with the setting of the GMT hand and hour hand as well as the date. For me I would like to have a replica that functions like the original just for me, not to impress or fool anyone else. I'm sure that is the reasoning behind most collectors here.

It's not really noticeable... until the hour hand and GMT hand "meet".

5.jpg

Correct stack is nice, but I have no problem wearing the wrong stack, either. I have 2 of these 16710 models (modded to extremes) and it doesn't really make any difference to me. I love & wear them both. :)

The main reason for the correct hand stack for me would be the ability function as it should, ie have the GMT hand permanently set to GMT and the hour hand set to local, with the incorrect HS, every time you set the hour hand tro local you have to then reset the GMT to your other time zone.

I'll admit i have been swept up into the whole "I hope the produce more correct hand stacks (CHS) so I can get one"... but the more I think about how noticeable is it really that one hand is not stacked correctly over the other? I know the hardcore folks will say that is a must and a dead give away... but I can't think of anyone outside these forums or an AD maybe that would be able to spot that. With that it mind I know i never "call out anyone" (one time I bumped into someone at a bar who appeared to have a 4th gen 42mm PO as it had the short hands, gap in the bracelet... and tho he was talking like it was a gen I just said to him "nice watch". I don't know if other members enjoy calling people out ir looking for flaws in someone's watch... but that's not how I roll.

Time will tell if the CHS provides a less reliable movement... and if it does the CHS and higher price really worth that?!? Curious what other members think... ^_^

Correct stack is nice, but I have no problem wearing the wrong stack, either. I have 2 of these 16710 models (modded to extremes) and it doesn't really make any difference to me. I love & wear them both. :)

Ditto! That's why I'm on the sideline on all this fuzz!!!!

Ditto! That's why I'm on the sideline on all this fuzz!!!!

+1 for me too...

I have to admit I have watched all of this with some bemusement. I for one could stare at a watch on someone and never see it. For those who love the idea of the correct stats....great. My fear is that also brings an unproven movement. I'm staying on the sidelines for now.......especially since the new seadweller is in the works. That one I really want.

I think for most people, the hand stack issue is a non-issue. But as your knowledge & experience (about these watches) grows, you find that when YOU know your watch is lacking an essential feature, it becomes uncomfortable to wear. Or at least less of a joy. Once you know the difference it is kind of like walking around with 1 black sock & 1 navy blue sock -- most of the public would probably never notice the different shades & as long as YOU did not notice the difference when you put them on in the morning, it probably will not spoil your day. But if you walked out of your house knowing you were wearing mismatched socks, you probably would not be on top of your game that day. It is the same with these relatively minor details on watches -- once you learn/know the difference, let us just say that most people would rather not risk being seen wearing mismatched socks - no matter how difficult they are to see. At least that is the way I feel.

I think for most people, the hand stack issue is a non-issue. But as your knowledge & experience (about these watches) grows, you find that when YOU know your watch is lacking an essential feature, it becomes uncomfortable to wear. Or at least less of a joy. Once you know the difference it is kind of like walking around with 1 black sock & 1 navy blue sock -- most of the public would probably never notice the different shades & as long as YOU did not notice the difference when you put them on in the morning, it probably will not spoil your day. But if you walked out of your house knowing you were wearing mismatched socks, you probably would not be on top of your game that day. It is the same with these relatively minor details on watches -- once you learn/know the difference, let's just say that most people would rather not risk being seen wearing mismatched socks - no matter how difficult they are to see. At least that is the way I feel.

Well put freddy. Yeah most people would probably never notice. Since I've managed to add CHS EXPII's and a Pepsi GMT to my collection I think it would bother me to no end if I was to get a non-CHS version of the GMT-IIC. It's not so much that anyone else would notice it but that I would.

I still have the 1st 'good' Rolex rep I bought 20+ years ago. Back then, I knew about as much as the average Rolex owner knows about Rolex watches (NOTHING), & happily wore my 'perfect' Rolex rep secure in the (mistaken) belief that if I, the owner, could not see any warts in my rep, neither could anyone else. But as I gained more experience with watches & began acquiring some gens, I began to see some of the warts that (I am quite sure now) may have caused those occasional rolling eyes that makes you wonder if your fly is down (or your socks are mismatched). It is true what they say about ignorance being bliss.

That's a funny analogy. With all my imperfect reps, I'm always wearing mis-matched socks.......and don't mind at all.

Yeah, I was going to say something. ;)

Correct.

Thanks for the confirmation ^_^

Any one know how reliable this CHS movement will be, i remember some horror storys about the old ones

Only time will tell I guess, but I have heard rumor of this modification being of a different nature to the previous versions....

Guest carlsbadrolex
I think for most people, the hand stack issue is a non-issue. But as your knowledge & experience (about these watches) grows, you find that when YOU know your watch is lacking an essential feature, it becomes uncomfortable to wear. Or at least less of a joy. Once you know the difference it is kind of like walking around with 1 black sock & 1 navy blue sock -- most of the public would probably never notice the different shades & as long as YOU did not notice the difference when you put them on in the morning, it probably will not spoil your day. But if you walked out of your house knowing you were wearing mismatched socks, you probably would not be on top of your game that day. It is the same with these relatively minor details on watches -- once you learn/know the difference, let's just say that most people would rather not risk being seen wearing mismatched socks - no matter how difficult they are to see. At least that is the way I feel.

Freddy that is a perfect description of how I have become... SO MANY watches pass through my hands that I forget what they are some times.

What some consider the smallest issue will drive me nuts... IE: The BEAUTIFUL MBW AP ROO that I gave for auction... It was flawless... But I COULD NOT get over the arrangement of the subdials. 9-10 people would never notice... But for the few days I wore the watch it drove me nuts. AM I CRAZY??? YES, but I dont care.

I have two CHS watches on their way to me... They will replace NON-CHS watches that I currently have. WHY??? Because since I first found out about CHS VS NCHS... they have sat in my safe unworn. It JUST BOTHERED me.

Tomorrow I will be sure to wear one black sock and one blue sock in your honor my friend!

T

Is this a new mod or the classic 2836-2 one, that puts the "Date changing"(at midnight) out of phase? (I have an Explorer II CHS and this problem is kind of nasty...)

Yep. On this new version date change follows the hour hand.

On ExpII the date change thing (with the old movement) is a bit annoying, because it doesn't have a rotating bezel. But on GMT it doesn't matter at all, because you can set the 24h hand follow your local time and use the GMT function from the bezel.

You can use the ExpII (with old movement) as a GMT watch too: Set the 24h hand to follow the local time, and when you're traveling just adjust the hour hand. This in theory, because I don't recommend playing with the independent hour hand at all. That rotor/fork is the weakest link of the movement. At least used to be. I don't know if they have changed that part for this new one.

I received something with a correct hand stack (order: hour hand, GMT, minute, seconds) in the mail today.

Here are 2 quick & dirties

drsdgmtIIc20091.jpg

drsdgmtIIc20111.jpg

I feel compelled to add that this watch is quite literally a marvel to behold in person. This is the 1st rep in my experience that achieves a sense (not quite the full monty) of the gen's fit & finish. And I base this on having now made 3 trips to an AD to view & test drive the gen GMTIIC. Of course, those of you with gens on hand will be able to provide a more detailed comparison, but I would challenge anyone to ID this watch as a rep from a normal viewing distance (a few feet). The crown is good, but the engraving is a give away when inspected closely (the crown engraving is off), so that will definitely need to be replaced. It would also be nice if the cyclops were properly AR'd, but I only really notice the difference in the AD's showroom or in bright sunlight. In normal indoors light, it is not something that I would generally be able to detect.

Amazingly, I think the strongest 2 features of this rep are its case & dial. Yes, I said dial. Now, as I always say, I am better with vintage pieces than modern, but the printing quality is far, far better than any other Rolex rep I have ever encountered. The dial text is not just laser-sharp & well-defined, but also properly 3-dimensional as modern gen dials are. All of the GMT functions not only work, but, so far (knocking on the nearest piece of mahogany), without incident.

The bottom line is that this is a 1st in my 25 years of collecting watches - a Rolex rep -- a current model at that -- that looks & feels (mostly) like the real thing right out of the box, so to speak. Never before have I handled a Rolex rep that contains no obvious (or even not-so-obvious) glaring mistakes or rep-like inaccuracies that belie its Asian lineage. Hopefully, this is a hint of greater things to come & not just a 1-time blip in rep history.

My recommendation - Unless you absolutely abhor Rolex watches........Do not pass go.......Do not collect $200......Run, do not walk......Get This Watch!

I feel compelled to add that this watch is quite literally a marvel to behold in person. This is the 1st rep in my experience that achieves a sense (not quite the full monty) of the gen's fit & finish. And I base this on having now made 3 trips to an AD to view & test drive the gen GMTIIC. Of course, those of you with gens on hand will be more able to provide a more detailed comparison. But I would challenge anyone to ID this watch as a rep from a normal viewing distance (a few feet). The crown is good, but the engraving is a give away when inspected closely (the crown engraving is off), so that will definitely need to be replaced. It would also be nice if the cyclops were properly AR'd, but I only really notice the difference in the AD's showroom or in bright sunlight. In normal indoors light, it is not something that I would generally be able to detect.

Amazingly, I think the strongest 2 features of this rep are its case & dial. Yes, I said dial. Now, as I always say, I am better with vintage pieces than modern, but the printing quality is far, far better than any other Rolex rep I have ever encountered. The dial text is not just laser-sharp & well-defined, but also properly 3-dimensional as modern gen dials are. All of the GMT functions not only work, but, so far (knocking on the nearest piece of mahogany), without incident.

The bottom line is that this is a 1st in my 25 years of collecting watches that 'works' right out of the box, so to speak. Never before have I received a rep that contains no glaring mistakes or rep-like inaccuracies that belie its Asian lineage. Hopefully, this is a hint of greater things to come & not just a 1-time blip in rep history.

My recommendation - Unless you absolutely abhor Rolex watches........Do not pass go.......Do not collect $200......Run, do not walk......Get This Watch!

Very nice Freddy. Thanks for weighing in with an opinion on it. Man everyone keeps saying to get it but it's not even listed on Josh or Andrew's site anymore. Hope that they are going to make another appearance as I'd love to get one.

I just checked Andrew's site. The wrong handstack 'Swiss ETA' version is $298, and the 'Asian ETA' version is $198.

So the price of a risky CHS which some members have already experienced problems with cost a $100...

This is leading me to think that those who waited for the incorrect handstack to come out made a wise decision.

Am I wrong (probably it has been discussed before) or the gen has the REF. number engraved where the holographic sticker used to be? What about this rep?

Rolex does not use the holograph stickers any more. The watches now come with a sticker that contains only the model number.