When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Dr. Martin Luther King wore a Datejust

DemonSlayer

By the way, were Rolexes priced similarly as they are today?

I remember reading Subs could be bought for $80-100 back in the 60s..... if only I had a time machine and could buy up a few ;)

I remember looking at a 5513 in a jewelry store window around 1965- the time of Thunderball- $210. Ironically, as a kid, I had the money but I couldn't justify the cost. Bought a Tissot for around $50 instead. At that time a TT Datejust would have run around $160, a gold one probably $400.

Dr. King was presented with the Gold Rolex when he won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1964.

My cousin bought the exact same watch in 1967 in Hong Kong while he was there on R & R from Viet Nam. He paid about $2,000 for his-a fortune back then. I always lusted for it. It was my inspiration for getting into Reps. I should have studied harder like he did...or won a Nobel Prize like Dr. King But then, I wouldn't have gotten to know all of you Replica Guys.

How DO you wear that without talking with a Sean Connery accent? I hear the theme song just looking at it.

:lol:Thanks, that's a good one! Puusssssssssse you sssssssssae, I musssssssst be dreaming.

Good research finding out that the Datejust was a gift--is that a normal part of winning the Nobel Prize?

Sure, we all got one, you didn't get yours? I'd get in touch with the prize people if I were you. :rolleyes:

Cool post,,,,it reminds me of a pic of the Dalai lama wearing a rolex, It's not just about trying to impress others,,,,as I've recently discovered (I just made an offer on a vintage rollie) rolex has some nice watches and it doesn't matter if you are hanging around the house by yourself or trying to improve the world....

i visited europe in 1985, the US dollar was at an alltime high. so during a weekend trip thru switzerland i stopped in zurich and went into a jewelery store. the USD price for a ss datejust was about $300, so i bot 3 (two for friends and family and one for myself). i only gave one away. one i sold in 2005 for $2000 and the other i still own today. the funds from the one i sold paid for several reps, including a pam 27 and 29 and also a fm 2892.

• 1 month later...