When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hell no! My watch didn't make it...

outlandos

Your English looks pretty good to me (why do you need to correct it if you are going to be talking to your own customs people? - am I missing something?)

I just wanted to say that I would have a very clear idea of what repair you might have had done... Relume? Something that you could either not have done or didn't know WHERE to have done in NL would be a good option. Of course if they watch doesn't appear to be that old relume might be unrealistic. Complete service/oiling/etc. You found a watchsmith though a collector's forum who charges low prices AND with the dollar at an all-time low you could save about 200 euros on a service for a watch you only paid 700 for. You can't afford much as you are a student... You might offer documentation of your student status (I think you said you are a student, no?) and perhaps your back account balance. This stuff might not really convince them as much as the fact that you are going out of your way to offer proof. Guilty people probably run the other direction...

I would make up a GOOD story, using the ideas and advice here, all details thought out, then throw yourself on their mercy. Be prepared to cry some too - that won't hurt. (Just kidding) But I would appear really upset that they are going to take your watch - not angry, just upset... Be very very polite and after explaining everything, if they are still not going to give you the watch, say, "Given my situation - what has happened, what can I do to resolve it?" That puts them in the position of being your allies - you are asking them for suggestions on how to resolve your situation... If you are believable and likeable they may try to help you out or just give you the watch and say be more careful...

Good luck.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have read numerous times on this forum that ordering 2 fake items from abroad is permitted in the Netherlands. Have any Dutch residents ever received a fine or have there reps confiscated by Dutch customs when ordering less or equal to two reps before?

If it is legal to order a rep or two then this changes the whole situation. I would not hurt to look up in the Dutch customs import regulations if you can find such a regulation in writing.

The rules are as follows:

You are allowed to bring 3 replica items (watches) though customs. But you have to travel in person and then pass customs.

Sending through mail is not allowed under any circumstances.

This information is also stated on douane.nl

In short the scenarios are:

1. Since it's only 1 (you're tollerated to own 3), you're off the hook. But I wouldn't be surprised if your name/address would end up in some sort of 'alert'-list, so for the next time you'd better use another address.

Indeed 3 watches are allowed by customs, but not through mail.

Indeed 3 watches are allowed by customs, but not through mail.

Through mail and couriers there's a zero tollerance. They confiscate and destroy all illegal items found.

However, you are not fined or prosecuted if it's only one item, since you are allowed to own 3 for your own use.

Your English looks pretty good to me (why do you need to correct it if you are going to be talking to your own customs people? - am I missing something?)

I just wanted to say that I would have a very clear idea of what repair you might have had done... Relume? Something that you could either not have done or didn't know WHERE to have done in NL would be a good option. Of course if they watch doesn't appear to be that old relume might be unrealistic. Complete service/oiling/etc. You found a watchsmith though a collector's forum who charges low prices AND with the dollar at an all-time low you could save about 200 euros on a service for a watch you only paid 700 for. You can't afford much as you are a student... You might offer documentation of your student status (I think you said you are a student, no?) and perhaps your back account balance. This stuff might not really convince them as much as the fact that you are going out of your way to offer proof. Guilty people probably run the other direction...

I would make up a GOOD story, using the ideas and advice here, all details thought out, then throw yourself on their mercy. Be prepared to cry some too - that won't hurt. (Just kidding) But I would appear really upset that they are going to take your watch - not angry, just upset... Be very very polite and after explaining everything, if they are still not going to give you the watch, say, "Given my situation - what has happened, what can I do to resolve it?" That puts them in the position of being your allies - you are asking them for suggestions on how to resolve your situation... If you are believable and likeable they may try to help you out or just give you the watch and say be more careful...

Good luck.

The problem with cooking up a good story is, that the risk is not worth the reward.

You can make up story, but you can never know what they know.

At the bottom line it remains a rep. Ans it is illigal to sent a rep.

They will not sent it to anybody because is is illigal to sent reps.

Trust me I have been there and gone through multiple letters and phonecalls with the dutch customs.

Evertime you see an opening for a sollution you have to stay in line of your original story because everything is recorded in your file.

Never lie to them, just WALK AWAY!!!!

However, you are not fined or prosecuted if it's only one item, since you are allowed to own 3 for your own use.

Thats 100% correct.

Untill you make a false invoice, bill or start telling them lies.

Then it is fraud and you cannot win that game.

Considering the value of the watch, i really think you only have one option here. Call them and say that you have no proof of sending the watch for repair as it was done through an internet club, and the repairer is a hobbyist, not a business. Now await their next move. They will undoubtedly affix a price and try to get money from you. If the amount is small, pay it. If it is substantial, gasp and tell them it is a cheap replica that you received as a gift. (explaining both the declared value, and lack of shipping proof on your end) At this point the may confiscate it or they may not.

Above all, do not extend your lie any further than it has gone already.

Considering the value of the watch, i really think you only have one option here. Call them and say that you have no proof of sending the watch for repair as it was done through an internet club, and the repairer is a hobbyist, not a business. Now await their next move. They will undoubtedly affix a price and try to get money from you. If the amount is small, pay it. If it is substantial, gasp and tell them it is a cheap replica that you received as a gift. (explaining both the declared value, and lack of shipping proof on your end) At this point the may confiscate it or they may not.

Above all, do not extend your lie any further than it has gone already.

Thanks, I guess I will just call them and tell them I have no prove it's mine because I bought it second hand from a friend for 250 Euro "Sold as seen with mechanical problems as agreed" and that I've found a cheap fix on the internet from a hobbyist. I will just ask them friendly what we can do about it.

And $500 is a lot for me, I am not walking away from it w/o a fight, but I wont extand my lies either.

Thanks, I guess I will just call them and tell them I have no prove it's mine because I bought it second hand from a friend for 250 Euro "Sold as seen with mechanical problems as agreed" and that I've found a cheap fix on the internet from a hobbyist. I will just ask them friendly what we can do about it.

And $500 is a lot for me, I am not walking away from it w/o a fight, but I wont extand my lies either.

That sounds like a good idea to me. Have some idea of what kind of repair was performed in case they ask.

I agree with those that say don't make up fake bills/invoices/etc... Trying to pass off fake documents on a government agency is a dangerous business. But telling the story above - they have no way of knowing whether you are telling the truth - it will come down to whether they believe you or not and if they don't they will simply not give you the watch.

Also, it would be useful to know if the seller put a correct return address on it. Some people put a fake return address in the mistaken belief that they will get busted if the watch is intercepted by customs on the other end. That I am aware of (and I have researched the question more than once) there has never been a single case of any government trying to extradite a foreign national over the sale of a single replica watch. In any event, if the return address was fake that would be more reason to not abandon the watch... you would be out $500 for sure.

I have told lies to customs before - in fact every time that I return to the U.S. I bring a number of items such as dried chorizo sausage, jamon (cured ham), and other items that violate Customs and Dept. of Agriculture regulations. I have lied each time and I have never been caught and if I were the fine would be $300 and my name would be placed on a watch list. There is nothing wrong with taking a calculated risk - as long as you know what the level of risk is and what the penalties are if you are caught.

Today I got a letter from Fedex which I will copy (and translate here):

Geachte heer,

Via onze klantenservice ontving ik het verzoek u een email te sturen met de benodigdheden voor inklaring van bovengenoemde zending.

Wij willen graag het volgende van u weten:

1 ) is het horloge door u ter reparatie naar Bahrain gestuurd en komt deze nu terug?

2 ) bent u op vakantie / voor zaken naar Bahrain geweest en heeft u uw horloge vergeten en wordt deze nu nagestuurd?

Wanneer de zending ter reparatie in Bahrain is geweest willen wij weten of u de zending ter reparatie tijdelijk heeft laten uitvoeren. Is dit

het geval dan kunnen wij wanneer u de tijdelijke uitvoerdocumenten heeft, een verzoek om vrijstelling doen voor BTW- en invoerrechten

bij wederinvoer. Wanneer de zending definitief is uitgevoerd dient u gewoon bij wederinvoer BTW- en invoerrechten te betalen.

Wanneer het gaat om nagezonden reizigersbagage kunnen wij met een kopie van uw vliegticket en paspoort vrijstelling vragen voor de

betaling van BTW- en invoerrechten.

Kunt u ons svp laten weten wat het verhaal is achter uw zending?

Ik vertrouw erop u hiermee voorlopig voldoende te hebben geinformeerd. Gelieve uw reactie te richten aan nl-import@fedex.com

Met vriendelijke groet,

FedEx Express EMEA Northern Europe

Dear sir,

We would like to know the following from you:

1) Has the watch been sent for repair to Bahrain and has this watch now been sent back?

2) Have you been on vacation to Bahrain and did you forget the watch?

If it's the second then a copy of your passport is enough.

If it's the first, then there are two options:

Was the repair temporarily (I don't understand this)?? If so all you need is a prove of export, so a prove that you have shipped the watch to Bahrain.

But if the repair was permanent then you will need to pay duty tax + normal tax (19%).

Please let us know as soon as possible,

Fedex

What would you advice me to replay? Please!

Edited by outlandos

i dont understand the temporary and perminant repairs they mention. I would ask them to return it to the sender becasue you sent it to him airmail without a tracking number becasue it was cheaper that way, so you have no proof.

Today I got a letter from Fedex which I will copy (and translate here):

Geachte heer,

Via onze klantenservice ontving ik het verzoek u een email te sturen met de benodigdheden voor inklaring van bovengenoemde zending.

Wij willen graag het volgende van u weten:

1 ) is het horloge door u ter reparatie naar Bahrain gestuurd en komt deze nu terug?

2 ) bent u op vakantie / voor zaken naar Bahrain geweest en heeft u uw horloge vergeten en wordt deze nu nagestuurd?

Wanneer de zending ter reparatie in Bahrain is geweest willen wij weten of u de zending ter reparatie tijdelijk heeft laten uitvoeren. Is dit

het geval dan kunnen wij wanneer u de tijdelijke uitvoerdocumenten heeft, een verzoek om vrijstelling doen voor BTW- en invoerrechten

bij wederinvoer. Wanneer de zending definitief is uitgevoerd dient u gewoon bij wederinvoer BTW- en invoerrechten te betalen.

Wanneer het gaat om nagezonden reizigersbagage kunnen wij met een kopie van uw vliegticket en paspoort vrijstelling vragen voor de

betaling van BTW- en invoerrechten.

Kunt u ons svp laten weten wat het verhaal is achter uw zending?

Ik vertrouw erop u hiermee voorlopig voldoende te hebben geinformeerd. Gelieve uw reactie te richten aan nl-import@fedex.com

Met vriendelijke groet,

FedEx Express EMEA Northern Europe

Dear sir,

We would like to know the following from you:

1) Has the watch been sent for repair to Bahrain and has this watch now been sent back?

2) Have you been on vacation to Bahrain and did you forget the watch?

If it's the second then a copy of your passport is enough.

If it's the first, then there are two options:

Was the repair temporarily (I don't understand this)?? If so all you need is a prove of export, so a prove that you have shipped the watch to Bahrain.

But if the repair was permanent then you will need to pay duty tax + normal tax (19%).

Please let us know as soon as possible,

Fedex

What would you advice me to replay? Please!

The question concerning the nature of the repair is: Was the watch fixed (balance wheel blocked due to bad oiling) or was something replaced that added value to the watch (new movement for example). In case something expensive has been replaced they would ask tax on the replacement part and related work (new movement)

Just tell them you don

Edited by Fish

I've told my story (about the broken watch..) on mail to Fedex and they have send the watch to the Dutch customs. Tomorrow I will probably know if they will allow the watch into the country or not...

Did it work out? I am praying for you man.

The only time that I ever had any problem with customs was through FedEx. The only watch that ever disappeared without trace was coming to me from Netherlands but that had nothing to do with customs. Regular Air Mail is certainly the best option.

Did it work out? I am praying for you man.

IT ALL WORKED OUT WELL!!!

The customs did not check the package...or at least they didnt take the effort to open it!

I will need to pay 13 Euro duty tax, but I am happy to do so! :D

I guess I have just been very lucky! :D

Thank you all for the great reply's!

After all, I think it has been Fedex and Fedex only that made a fuzz and that I have been lucky at the customs!

Cheers! :D