When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My new Speedmaster Moon watch

predfan2001

Well I took about a 3 month break from reps but this is my latest purchase.

S6301340.jpg

My collection had grown to 14 but many of the watches really didn't do it for me so I sold most of them and chose to focus on the vintage classics and modern classics. I was down to 2 reps. A 5513 Sub and my Omega GMT with the gen band. I have a Breitling SFSO on the way also but some parts I requested with the order are holding it up. I have my rubber strap sitting here ready to go on :o .

Edited by predfan2001

This is a faux chrono 21j model. It is the correct size and the crystal height is better than most. I'm hoping the movement (though not functionally accurate) will be less problematic. The only big knocks I can really give it is the clasp markings (etched) and the shape of the chrono hands. The chronos are adjustable via the pushers even though they don't work. The 6:00 dial is a functioning hour dial. Of course the sub dial spacing is off but better than most. And no rings around the sub dials....that is a reflection. A great watch for the price.

Edited by predfan2001

Correction, the chrono sub-dials do work, just not like a Speedmaster or like a stop watch. I'm not totally sure how they work. I thought the "faux" meant they were dead subdials. I had my 3 & 9 sub-dials set straight up Friday, now I notice they have advanced. I'm guessing the 3 Sub-dial is days, the 6 is hours...not sure about the 9.

9 oclock will proberbly move once a day and rotate fully in a week being a day counter and 3 oclock will move 31 times giving a 31day month rotation, 6 oclock will proberbley be a 24 hour counter or a 12 hour counter

9 oclock will proberbly move once a day and rotate fully in a week being a day counter and 3 oclock will move 31 times giving a 31day month rotation, 6 oclock will proberbley be a 24 hour counter or a 12 hour counter

There is not even a stopwatch function? What do the pushers do? I've wanted this watch for some time now. Is the "second" hand a GMT hand?

There is not even a stopwatch function? What do the pushers do? I've wanted this watch for some time now. Is the "second" hand a GMT hand?

The second hand is a second hand. The chronos do their own thing but I still love this watch for what I gave for it (less than $100). It is accurate as far as time keeping goes and looks great. The crystal is wonderful. A value kind of like the asian GMT I'd say.

Edited by predfan2001

Congratulations on the watch...the Moon watch is a very special watch, and that is a beautiful copy. Wear it well. I have a version of the 35th anniversary model (silver dial with black subdials) that I picked up...faux everything, but a stunning watch with a mezmerizing dial (and that asian movement keeps good time too!) I also have a manual-wind version with the domed crystal...great watch and it keeps excellent time.

Enjoy your watch!!

I had no idea this watch would stir as many questions as it has, but all I can say is this. At some point, you have to chose if you are a rep fan or a poser. It's ok to be a poser, that just means you wear a rep in the hopes that nobody ever calls you out. Heck we've all be a poser at some point or another. But when the day comes that you realize that you appreciate reps for what they are, a watch like this will mean something to you. It made me appreciate!

Here's what it is and why I appreciate it like I do. This is a pretty good representation of the gen as far as size goes. The biggest tell tells is the movement functionality and the applied Omega logo on the dial. The domed crystal is wonderful and the sub dials actually look better than some of the more expensive reps. Most people who have looked at mine say wow...they don't know how to spot a fake chronograph. But I like it because someone realized that a HZ2393 movement (I'm guessing) could be used to make a cheap and fairly convincing rep. that has functioning sub-dials, though not as a stop watch. And for around $100 give or take.