When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Best Aviation Watches for Pilots

F15DOC

I accidentally hijacked a thread when buying a watch and decided this would be a good topic.

What are the"Must Have" watches in the Aviation world?

I would be looking to build up my gen collection based upon those, but I am going to buy one of these gens that are currently being offered to my squadron by Bretling:

EagleDriverEmergency2006.jpg

EagleDriverAirwolf2007.jpg

EagleDriverAerospace2007.jpg

This will probably be my only gen, the rest of my aviation watches will be reps, based upon your recommendations.

I took some pictures of my first ever rep (Rolex) in the Eagle last year and got some chuckles out of members here that I would take a sailing watch into the sky :)

So what are your thoughts on aviation watches for me?

046.jpg

026.jpg

09010004.jpg

IMG_0721.jpg

Edited by F15DOC

First of all thank you for sharing these cool pictures.

I would suggest you an ETA 7750 Valjoux based IWC 3717 Flieberchronograph. It is a really nice watch, very close to gen and, most important, the movement is very reliable even under dogfight conditions. (Be aware that the ETA 2824 and 2836 are pretty vulnerable to g-forces, so an ETA based chronograph is much better choice for you as ETA 2892 or 2893 reps are very rare these days).

Hope this helps!

I would be looking to build up my gen collection based upon those, but I am going to buy one of these gens that are currently being offered to my squadron by Bretling:

Amazing pictures - amazing machine you are driving. Do they PAY you to fly that?

So do you get a special deal on the Breitling through your squadron? I ask because maybe we could do a group-buy at the special price? Please? B)

The military (speaking for the RAF and RN Fleet Air Arm here in the UK) have links with Breitling, and you can go to Breitling with a design, and have it custom made as long as they have at least 50 watches to produce.

GROUP BUY!!!!!! How about a gen with "Breitling for RWG" on the face!

@ F15DOC, I am in total admiration of your job, and what you do for your country. I won't go into detail here but my goal was always to join the RAF as a pilot. I really take my hat off to the job you guys do, it's hard work, and at a time when we are fighting battles all over the globe, with resources being stretched to their limits, never has it been so evident how highly professional the US and UK military personnel are.

the breitling navitimer reps are top quality (after a real double AR coating, the sunken datewheel on the 3-6-9 configuration is the only other meaningful issue with these), but i wouldn't plan on getting a replica iwc big pilot -- there just aren't any available that come close to doing justice to the real deal....

deltatahoe

Guest avitt

I'm not a fighter pilot (but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night ;) ).

Thinking this Oris looks pretty functional...and the price is pretty good.

L10538437.jpg

The classic pilot watch was the Rolex GMT Master which was reputedly created for Pan Am pilots.

It was quickly accepted by them and also by TWA pilots.

Rolex still touts it as a pilot watch on it's website.

Carl

The classic pilot watch was the Rolex GMT Master which was reputedly created for Pan Am pilots.

It was quickly accepted by them and also by TWA pilots.

Rolex still touts it as a pilot watch on it's website.

Carl

That was also very popular with the military, mostly air force. I had one for years but still preferred the navi.

I always thought the Breitlings were the "professional" pilot's watch of choice.

Here is my list or reps to get so far:

Breitling Navitimer

IWC Big Pilot

What others?

All the Eagle pilots at Lakenheath seem to wear Rolex Explorers. I asked my buddy there, callsign 'Batman' (What a friggin' cool callsign), why this was and he said the dual timezone facility was handy for 'operational purposes'.

OK, so here is the list of suggestions so far:

IWC 3717 Flieberchronograph, ETA 7750 Valjoux

IWC3717.jpg

IWC Big Pilot

IWCBigPilot.jpg

Breitling Navitimer

Oris - (What Model?)

ORISFlightTimer.jpg

Rolex GMT Master

RolexGMTMasterII.jpg

Bell&Ross (What Model, is this really a pilot watch?)

Rolex Explorer (I or II?)

RolexExplorerII.jpg

Edited by F15DOC

IWC3717.jpg

IWC Big Pilot

IWCBigPilot.jpg

Breitling Navitimer

Oris - (What Model?)

ORISFlightTimer.jpg

Rolex GMT Master

RolexGMTMasterII.jpg

Rolex Explorer (I or II?)

RolexExplorerII.jpg

My buddy and most of his squadron wear Explorer II but quite a few wear GMT-Masters (I imagine for the same reason that the Explorer II is favoured). None wear Breitlings.

IWC3717.jpg

IWC Big Pilot

IWCBigPilot.jpg

Breitling Navitimer

BreitlingNavitimer.jpg

Oris Flight Timer

ORISFlightTimer.jpg

Rolex GMT Master

RolexGMTMasterII.jpg

Rolex Explorer II

RolexExplorerII.jpg

Edited by F15DOC