When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Best Aviation Watches for Pilots

F15DOC

LOL, I actually have one, and that is the watch I wore on my last deployment to Baghdad :)

Didn't care how beat up it got, and it can take the abuse :)

Realistically? A Casio G-Shock!

Another decision to be made is which of these 3717's?

Probably both at some point!

IWC3717-1andSpitfire-2.jpg

I'm a sucker for Sinn, altering the 2nd timezone is as easy as pulling the crown out to the 2nd click and turning it anti clockwise, the hour hand jumps forward an hour for each click. You can also hide the GMT hand behind the hour hand to reduce clutter. Nice !

how about a Sinn 757 utc....

sinn757utcbracelet_1117_detail.jpg

or a 144 GMT

sinn144gmtstrap_1216_detail.jpg

or a 756 utc

sinn756utcsbracelet_1633_detail.jpg

Edited by asiparks

Oh yes, a few more.

I like the Sinn 757

Sinn757.jpg

And I like the Graham Chronomaster

GrahamChronofighter.jpg

And I found this Omega Carrera and Speedmaster, not specific pilot watches, but I like them:

TagHeuerCarrera.jpg

OmegaSpeedMaster.jpg

Of Course, the Spitfire is very nice:

IWC3717Spitfire.jpg

Doc, out of curiosity, what are the other guys in your squadron rocking?

In addition to all of the above, strongly consider the Omega X-33 (which as USAF, you will have no problem obtaining) or the good old fashioned Omega Speedy Pro.

If I was a pilot, the X-33 would be my only choice just because it is incredibly good at what it does and is one of the few watches conceived as a utility watch for modern flight missions, not as a fashion watch with an aerospace schtick.

Doc, out of curiosity, what are the other guys in your squadron rocking?

In addition to all of the above, strongly consider the Omega X-33 (which as USAF, you will have no problem obtaining) or the good old fashioned Omega Speedy Pro.

If I was a pilot, the X-33 would be my only choice just because it is incredibly good at what it does and is one of the few watches conceived as a utility watch for modern flight missions, not as a fashion watch with an aerospace schtick.

Is that a special order watch? Only through the AF or can you get it direct?

$3291 USD

OmegaX33.gif

Is that a special order watch? Only through the AF or can you get it direct?

$3291 USD

OmegaX33.gif

The X-33 is a direct replacement for the Speedy Moonwatch and has been dubbed the 'Mars Watch'. It was designed with aerospace/spaceflight in mind and is NASA spaceflight certified and I believe it has now been withdrawn from civilian sale (it sucks, but what can you do?). I'm not entirely sure how you would obtain one but I beleive that if you were to go to an Omega AD or to Omega direct with your military ID, you can get one. I absolutely adore this watch.

Here's a link to the history of this watch: http://watches.ryanrooney.com/X-33/x33-history.html

Edited by The Mentalist

Realistically? A Casio G-Shock!

Thank you for breaking the price barrier!

I was going to suggest a Citizen Eco Drive Skyhawk. I have one, it is a solar powered quartz. Updates time via radio frequency from the Naval time server in Colorado. Also can read from time servers in the EU and Japan when overseas. Has a slide rule. It is built like a brick craphouse.

LOL, I actually have one, and that is the watch I wore on my last deployment to Baghdad :)

Didn't care how beat up it got, and it can take the abuse :)

Another decision to be made is which of these 3717's?

Probably both at some point!

IWC3717-1andSpitfire-2.jpg

Yup...G-Shock...unofficially battle hardened. :)

I really like my Spitfire. It's got a certain balance of added class mixed with retro-homage that I like, that the 3717-01 lacks. Don't get me wrong, the 3717-01 instrument panel look is great with a much cleaner interpretation I think than the B&R's...

Do many pilot's actually wear B&R??

I actually like some of the MTM watches as well:

BLACKHAWKMETALB.jpg

The Black Seal Special Ops is interesting as the movement is liquid filled to produce WATERPROOF certification (6600 fathoms)...not the contraction/expansion air bubble at 12-o-clock.

NAVYSEALSBLACKB.jpg

Edited by Toadtorrent

Hi,

Thanks for the great pics....very nice.

I am flying for quiet a few years now..(Airbus), and I was always wearing a Breitling....

But know I am wearing all kinds of watches...:)

A lot of guys I fly with often notice the HBB, and Panerai's I am wearing, and they like them.

Most of them only know Breitling, and omega btw..:)

Pilot watches I think......: IWC Big Pilot, Breitling Professionals/Navitimer, IWC 3717, Sinn... Maybe Graham Chronofighter.

I'll see if I can take some nice flying action photos as well.

Keep them coming!

Cool thread!

Impressed by the F-15 pictures.. that is one big fighter, far bigger than the F-16 we have in Europe! ( and still, the F-14 is bigger..)

I have "always" been an aviation buff, even though I only was an Air-Force weapons and avionics technician in the Norwegian AF. :-)

The Speedmaster X-33 is a good watch. I had one but sold it on, still miss it sometimes.. Aerospace is also nice, but I felt that it lacked something. Being a titanium watch with only one crown. It has a very distinct character.

My current aviation watch is a slightly odd choice, the original Poljot Shturmanskie! With some patience, you can pick a good one on eBay for the price of a cheap replica. Then you will have a true military chronograph with a 24-hour bezel and date. :) Personally, I find this more interesting than the IWC 3717, which is "just another 7750-chrono" to me..

The Soviet P3133 movement is a version of the almost bullet-proof Swiss 7733 movement, used in a great number of old Breitlings.

DSC_3749-1.jpg

DSC_3751-1.jpg

DSC_3752-1.jpg

DSC_3753-1.jpg

Cool thread!

Impressed by the F-15 pictures.. that is one big fighter, far bigger than the F-16 we have in Europe! ( and still, the F-14 is bigger..)

I have "always" been an aviation buff, even though I only was an Air-Force weapons and avionics technician in the Norwegian AF. :-)

Norwegian Air Force? You didn't happen to know Col Hans Magnus did you?

Norwegian Air Force? You didn't happen to know Col Hans Magnus did you?

No, I can't remember a colonel Hans Magnus.. I was in the RNoAF from '94-'98. Mainly worked on P-3C Orion, Anti-Submarine aircrafts. But I also worked on the F-16s on Bodo AFB. The main Norwegian base.. I cant remember there being any Hans Magnus. Remember the F-15 on the NATO winter excercises. :) Great noise!

Jeeez

This is an eyecandy thread! :D Great pics, everyone

F15DOC: IMO your choice of gen should be either the Seawolf or the Emergency. I would probably lean towards the Seawolf if cost was an influence