When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tritium

klingsor

i'm tired about Luminova and S-Luminova.... (as i told in another topic ...)

so i was trying to find a Tritium provider or a way to have a bit...

vintage dials with Luminova seems like monsters.....they loose the feeling with their age...

so after telling that ...

any idea?

----------------

an example to explain why i would like to find some tritium...

here

-

I have a write up somewhere... Materials would probably not be too difficult to source... But there is a health risk involved...

Oh, I'm aware it's not complicated, but as you say, the risks are substantial and invisible. B)

I don't know how you'd get it mixed in paint, though. Discussing it in too much detail can also get you looked at rather closely by Homeland Security, I bet. :)

Indeed... There are no sources that offer it directly. But there are ways to do it...

I have a write up somewhere... Materials would probably not be too difficult to source... But there is a health risk involved...

i know Ubi

i used it for a while...

but you must know that tritium radiation is not so strong to pass plastic

so to use it are needed glows and to remember to use every time the same stick...

the risks are substantial and invisible.

Discussing it in too much detail can also get you looked at rather closely by Homeland Security, I bet. :)

there are more risks using a dremel while polishing an iron case....

from wiki...

"Tritium presents no external radiation threat when encapsulated in non-hydrogen-permeable containers; its only danger is its constitution into the human body from direct contact, which may in turn cause long-term, low-dose radiation damage. This is because beta decay radiation from tritium is not very energetic; it is incapable of penetrating through glass containers or even intact human skin."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-powered_lighting

EDIT:

i found this ...

http://www.createthefuturecontest.com/page...tml?entryID=567

Edited by klingsor

M- The process involves turning a solid block of tritium infused plastic into powder by filing; we're talking large quantities, and hence the health risk as that powder can be inhaled while filing.

Mixing it into a paintable media, however is as easy as mixing it with an oil based solution...

Edited by ubiquitous

Theoretically, it should not be a problem to handle, mix or apply (as long as the material does not come into sustained contact with your skin). I believe that it was removed from the marketplace more to placate the public's fear of anything 'radioactive' rather than because of any real health concerns (when applied & used properly). This is why it remains as a tool for medical researchers & practitioners (who tend to be more knowledgeable & less prone to be swayed by (non-peer-reviewed) urban legends).

I have a friend working in medical research & it is used widely in her research. Unfortunately, it is virtually impossible to 'redirect' any of the material away from the lab. ;)

Edited by freddy333

M- The process involves turning a solid block of tritium infused plastic into powder by filing; we're talking large quantities, and hence the health risk as that powder can be inhaled while filing.

Mixing it into a paintable media, however is as easy as mixing it with an oil based solution...

and phosphor?

i found this on the net...this don't require light to recharge...

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007/12/new_light_glows.php

Theoretically, it should not be a problem to handle, mix or apply (as long as the material does not come into sustained contact with your skin). I believe that it was removed from the marketplace more to placate the public's fear of anything 'radioactive' rather than because of any real health concerns (when applied & used properly). This is why it remains as a tool for medical researchers & practitioners (who tend to be more knowledgeable & less prone to be swayed by (non-peer-reviewed) urban legends).

I have a friend working in medical research & it is used widely in her research. Unfortunately, it is virtually impossible to 'redirect' any of the material away from the lab. ;)

good idea...i will try to seek also this direction...

but what we need is not tritium only.... but a mixed composite made by tritium and phosphor (tritium give to phosphor the energy to light...)

Edited by klingsor

and phosphor?

but what we need is not tritium only.... but a mixed composite made by tritium and phosphor (tritium give to phosphor the energy to light...)

I believe the base material for the mixture that I'm speaking of is already combined with the phosphor. It's purpose in it's intended form is to be a luminous object as-is...

BTW, does anyone have any guesses as to what it might be? Here's a hint... You'd probably look at one but not think twice about it as you're on your way about your business...

Not at all. Night Color needs to be charged by a light source. This product claims otherwise.

copy&paste

Litroenergy is a patent pending designed light source material that emits light for 12 plus years- without electricity or sun exposure! Our development/design of long-life, self-luminous micro particles called Litrospheres (non-toxic) emit light continuously for 12 plus years (half-life point) without any exposure to a light or other energy (not effected by cold or heat). This extremely low cost material offers 24/7 light, which can be injection molded or added to paint.

Not at all. Night Color needs to be charged by a light source. This product claims otherwise.

copy&paste

Litroenergy is a patent pending designed light source material that emits light for 12 plus years- without electricity or sun exposure! Our development/design of long-life, self-luminous micro particles called Litrospheres (non-toxic) emit light continuously for 12 plus years (half-life point) without any exposure to a light or other energy (not effected by cold or heat). This extremely low cost material offers 24/7 light, which can be injection molded or added to paint.

right...

i wrote to them yesterday to have prices and details...no answer yet

If you remember, let me know what they say. I can mail them too as they are in the US, but dont want to flood them with messages.

try also you...looking at topic i think that we are only few people interested in this paint... (probably other people like to put under the sun their watches many time in a day to have only a short effect......)

Looks like it. I know one other member that will be interested when he sees your post.

I would sacrifice the super bright 45 second glow of SL for something that glows bright 24/7 without a light source. I just wonder if the particle size is small enough for us. It says non toxic so if it is we could grind it down hopefully. Or better yet, it's good like it is.

Looks like it. I know one other member that will be interested when he sees your post.

I would sacrifice the super bright 45 second glow of SL for something that glows bright 24/7 without a light source. I just wonder if the particle size is small enough for us. It says non toxic so if it is we could grind it down hopefully. Or better yet, it's good like it is.

i'm starting to think that to have attention from them it's needed to place an order... if tomorrow they will not answer i will try to do this

on the web page it says

Litroenergy TM samples are not available at this time. Once available we will announce.

Maybe they are just not ready to sell only market. :)

i hope it refers to the pics...that are few..they want to take photos about other application of these paints...

http://www.glopaint.com/24orders.htm

Item Number: 019

One ounce Tube of each Eight colors. (Sampler pack) $19.95

Edited by klingsor