When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Bad Day For My Fiddy! Or Just Plain Bad Luck!

Bignasty

Wow this sucks!

First I notice a smudge/imperfection on the dial. So I remove the bezel. Turns out its a print in the paint! Once I figure out its something I can't fix but could live with I go to put the bezel back on. Well I accidentally slipped putting the bezel back on and scuff the dial more! OK so I need a dial from Davidsen no biggie!

So now I have a project watch that I can't wear. Since I'm ordering from Davidsen anyway I decide to go ahead with the sapphire test! After all if its sapphire it won't scratch right!? Well guess what? It scratched!

Then to really top it off, I'm sitting here playing Tetris with my girlfriend and we hear a pop/crack sound. I turn around and, you guessed it, the crystal was shattered in peices!

Wow looks like I'll be placing an order with Davidsen soon! When its not meant to be its just not meant to be!

Jon :black_eye:

77758-31137.jpg

Wow - sorry to hear about that. rough day.

Wow this sucks!

First I notice a smudge/imperfection on the dial. So I remove the bezel. Turns out its a print in the paint! Once I figure out its something I can't fix but could live with I go to put the bezel back on. Well I accidentally slipped putting the bezel back on and scuff the dial more! OK so I need a dial from Davidsen no biggie!

So now I have a project watch that I can't wear. Since I'm ordering from Davidsen anyway I decide to go ahead with the sapphire test! After all if its sapphire it won't scratch right!? Well guess what? It scratched!

Then to really top it off, I'm sitting here playing Tetris with my girlfriend and we hear a pop/crack sound. I turn around and, you guessed it, the crystal was shattered in peices!

Wow looks like I'll be placing an order with Davidsen soon! When its not meant to be its just not meant to be!

Jon :black_eye:

77761-31136.jpg

ya, the 581 version is not sapphire crystal.

OK here's a little quickie video I did. I broke the old mineral glass from an old fiddy I had to do the test. I then scratch that mineral glass with a screw driver. Then I take the scratched mineral and use it to scratch the "sapphire" crystal from the new fiddy! Its been a little while but I remember the Moh's Hardness Scale. According to that scale Sapphire will not be scratched by glass. In fact sapphire wouldn't be scratched by much of anything except diamonds. Anyways here's the test! My advice, if you're buying a fiddy go ahead and plan on buying a crystal too! Seems like they all end up coming with mineral even though they are advertised as new and improved!

Jon

Here's the short video!

77771-31135.jpg

Edited by Bignasty

Tell me about it, I paid $600 for a perfect modded Fiddy from a forum member here 2 months ago, when I remvoed the bezel and I ended up ruining the dial, but at least it was genuine sapphire with real AR coating.

I've done crystal swaps for members before. Never scratched a dial. Just irritated with this and ended up making it worse. Oh well I'm getting a decent deal on the replacement parts from Davidsen. And just to mention too, in the dealers defense! He offered to get a replacement crystal at his expense but I don't think its worth the wait for another mineral glass.

Jon :victory:

If I'm in your situation, I wouldn't have a clue as what to do next...or how...

I got in touch with Davidsen. A new dial and crystal will be shipping soon! The new crystal will be sapphire for sure! I've come to learn that if you want a Fiddy its best to buy it with the proper movement and mod it from there!

Jon