When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Patek Nautilus- what is correct?

wombat247

What is the correct dial on a nautilus? I bought an MBW/MBK nautilus a few months ago but never wore it because it had a TRACK around the hour indices. I ended up buying one with DOTS around the hour indices. Which one is correct? In all the pictures I've seen, it has DOTS but I keep seeing ads for MBK's with a TRACK around the hour indices.

I'm confused, which is correct?

In other news, I've seen several pics of Brad Pitt wearing a fake nautilus (the watch he's wearing has the HUGE crown you see on canal street versions).

Im interested in the answer to this also however I believe there are many versions of the genuine Nautilus and both the track and dots are available.

There are also variances that come without a seconds hand on the genuine watch.

This topic has been beaten to death around here. Most members insist the "dots" are correct as this is the type you normally see when searching for pics of the gen. Some of the old time members who aren't really around anymore will tell you that back in the 70's, Patek made custom watches for the "special" customers. If you were willing to drop that kind of coin, you bloody well could get any dial you wanted. The rumor is there were gen PP's with the "grid" style dial. Personally I like the grid style better but I am bias because that is the style I have.

Edit: And regarding the seconds hand, the original jumbos didn't have it but did later on. It's a personal preference, I plan to have mines removed.

Edited by LordRasta

Dots are correct for:

Track is correct for:

And there is a Jumbo w/ seconds- The 3711, though the case is 18K WG, not SS...

Cheers,

R

***Addendum: As I was driving into work, I realized that I forgot that 3800 can also come with a dotted chapter dial as well as the mid size 3900....

Edited by ubiquitous

dots would be correct for the 3700, but i guess there are quite a few variations.

No second hands is correct too. I just removed mine, and it was very easy.

I like the grid style better but I am bias because that is the style I have.

Funny, I just read a study where they said most people think the best "Dr. Who" was whichever one that was on when they first started watching.

I guess we never forget our first love -

Both are correct depending on the model. But, based on all pics I've ever seen, the date font on the MBK is glaringly wrong. :(

Is it really "glaringly wrong" or just "slightly wrong"?

I have seen maybe five different iterations of this model (from the no seconds/seconds/gold markers/"O SWISS O"/curvature) and there maight have been at least three different datewheels used for this model (of course all have changed as the times did, though). So the MBK is not so bad.

The CN PPNJ is bad though. That font "screams" ETA!

Is it really "glaringly wrong" or just "slightly wrong"?

I have seen maybe five different iterations of this model (from the no seconds/seconds/gold markers/"O SWISS O"/curvature) and there maight have been at least three different datewheels used for this model (of course all have changed as the times did, though). So the MBK is not so bad.

The CN PPNJ is bad though. That font "screams" ETA!

Agreed. There are many variants. I've just never seen one that looks like the MBK. Have you?