When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

An EL 1950 takes a licking and keeps ticking

Fidestro

Hi all!

I have an old Eddie Lee 1950 that has been though hell and is still ticking. I have worn this watch for quite a while until a couple of months ago I threw it in a drawer and forgot about it as I moved on to other watches. I live in the midwest and we are currently going through some pretty heavy flooding. The whole first floor of my house was flooded while I was away and it ruined everything. My TV, entertainment system, furniture, all gone. We had a cleaning crew in the other day and as they were carting out some of my furniture my EL Fiddy fell out. This thing had been underwater in what I can only describe as brown muck for two or three days. I washed it off, set the time and wound it up expecting the worst. That was two days ago and it is still ticking. I know Panerai is supposed to be a dive watch but I was always skeptical of reps. My EL Fiddy is now my new fave again because it is a survivor. Now if only the house did not smell so bad....

That will be a keeper then, how does the strap smell though???

Not too bad. I was really worried about that. It is a very nice Mario Paci strap. I cleaned it with some two step Zymol leather cleaner and conditioner that I use on my car seats and so far it is holding up nicely and smells more of the cleaner than a nasty moldy smell.

Once again, thank you all for your kind words. It proves that this site is more than just a discussion forum, but a family.

Hope you insurance covers at least a good part of the losses. Four your Fiddy that only adds to its personal value. You see, life goes on. Most stuff is just temporary, but there are a few things that are ment to be with you for a lifetime. At least you got a good story to tell about the watch. Now it is no longer just a rep watch but a symbol for getting through hard times with your head held high.

From now it can only get better. Wish you all the luck you need to recover soon from that bad times.

Edited by Fish

Hey,

Sorry about your unfortunate situation out there in the heart land. Good news about the 50 however! And don't forget the Paci save with the cleaner! Keep your chin up and know that I am praying for a speedy recovery for your family as well as all the other families affected by the flodding. God bless!

Edited by sss