When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Genuine Steelfish 08' Wristshots

RobbieG

Full pictorial (finally!) tomorrow. I'm getting lazy photography wise these days. I keep promising myself I'm gonna start shooting more and especially the gens. From now on they are getting shot the day I get them so I don't have to work so hard cleaning them to new condition first. LOL. This is a watch that started as a rep. I fell in love with it the day I got it and bought the gen the same day.

BTW, take my word for it, the rep really is 95% or more as nice as the gen quality wise and the cosmetic differences are very slight. I know you have all studied pics, but to hold the two side by side it very difficult to tell them apart. Mine is the latest version with the updated second hand. The square rep second hand is correct also, it is just last years model. Other than that, the main differences are the dial is very one dimensional with the rep and it is missing the iridescent sheen that the gen has. Also, the dial execution is a little sloppy and it has a weird shine to it at certain angles, but this is really a stretch. It is more than adequate. Next, the rep blue is deeper and darker and the gen is more pale with a touch more slate or greyish color to it. To be truthful, I like the rep blue better myself. Finally, the rep has slightly raised and rounded indices and the gens are flat. That flaw is the only one that is tough to take as it can make the rep look cheap when the light catches it just right. Other than that, any other differences are not even worth mentioning IMO. Oh, and before you ask, the rep AR is perfect. Until tomorrow - a trio of wristshots...

Fish2.jpg

Fish3.jpg

Fish4.jpg

Sweet. Did you get a good deal or have they gone up bit?

How about some side by side shots w/ rep & gen if you find some free time?

Edit, to add that it always helps when you have both in the same lighting to compare.

If I have the time I'll do that. On the price front, yeah, they have gone up as they all have. Thankfully I got a lot of pieces this year at last year's prices. Just in the nick of time. Breitling and UN in particular have increased a lot - and it just so happens I have bought multiple pieces of both those brands recently. I dodged some bullets for sure. Last year, the Fish was around $2495 retail I believe on SS, the new list I think is $2950. I think I paid just over two grand for mine, I forget exactly but right in there. Great value at that or even the list price IMO...

Edited by RobbieG

But why? :p

DSC01624.jpg

Good question...One could certainly make a case for that for sure.

Thanks for that as you have made me give some thought to some things again that I haven't spent time thinking about for a while. Why? This is what I can come up with in the most simple terms: I guess I really like to patronize the original designer of the watch and the genuine brands when I can. I know a lot of folks on rep boards think gens are overpriced and a ripoff and not worth the money and all that if a rep is close to perfect. I get all that, but I guess I'm just not one of them. I have a deep respect for the history of the makers and their achievements and I take that stuff reallt seriously. It is a big part of collecting for me. I enjoy being a part of that stuff. For example, did you know Breitling invested the first chronograph pushpiece in 1923, the return-to-zero pushpiece in 1934, and the first self-winding chronograph in 1969? That is just so interesting to me. Anyway, I like to try and contribute to stuff like that in the hopes that my money may help go towards future horological improvements. As good as our friends in GZ are at copying things, they will never be innovators. LOL.

There is also an emotional connection for me and a hard to decribe intangible quality that is just not quite there in replica watches. Can't explain it really. No matter how accurate a rep is they are just not made "with love" for lack of a better term - or with the skill and it does show up in the final result as we all know. The stuff that turns me on are things like how a perfectly seated crown and tube feels when you wind the watch, the lack of that little stock ETA grinding sound when winding, the sound of the clicks in the bezel, the flawless execution of a dial seen at extreme magnification. In short, it is all in the details for me and for my money, those always seem to be missing from the reps. So I bite the bullet and buy the gens more often than not. Most people could care less about what I speak of and hats off to them cause' they get to save a lot of money. LOL.

Obviously though I love the reps too or I wouldn't be here. There are many watches that I get a great rep of that don't knock me out enough to want to own it forever so I don't get the gen, but I still may love the rep. Hard to tell what I will do. At this point I have only four reps in my collection and I love them all and wear them a lot - just not enough to want to get the gens of them at this point...

That said, your Steelfish rep is without a doubt, along with the Chronomat (one of my 4 reps :D) , the finest quality replica I have ever seen. Enjoy.

@P4GTR...

but why???

I'll tell u why...

so we can be "truthful" to ourselves...

pay the few thousands & live a true life...

if I had the money, I'll stop lying to myself hahahah :p

Well....I HAVE the money......But watches ain't what I'm gonna spend it on!!...Especially when I have waaaaay too many already!!...There are lots of places to dispose of excess bucks that are a lot more "rewarding" than jewelery!! Especially overpriced jewelery!! :p;) ;)

Good question...One could certainly make a case for that for sure.

Thanks for that as you have made me give some thought to some things again that I haven't spent time thinking about for a while. Why? This is what I can come up with in the most simple terms: I guess I really like to patronize the original designer of the watch and the genuine brands when I can. I know a lot of folks on rep boards think gens are overpriced and a ripoff and not worth the money and all that if a rep is close to perfect. I get all that, but I guess I'm just not one of them. I have a deep respect for the history of the makers and their achievements and I take that stuff reallt seriously. It is a big part of collecting for me. I enjoy being a part of that stuff. For example, did you know Breitling invested the first chronograph pushpiece in 1923, the return-to-zero pushpiece in 1934, and the first self-winding chronograph in 1969? That is just so interesting to me. Anyway, I like to try and contribute to stuff like that in the hopes that my money may help go towards future horological improvements. As good as our friends in GZ are at copying things, they will never be innovators. LOL.

There is also an emotional connection for me and a hard to decribe intangible quality that is just not quite there in replica watches. Can't explain it really. No matter how accurate a rep is they are just not made "with love" for lack of a better term - or with the skill and it does show up in the final result as we all know. The stuff that turns me on are things like how a perfectly seated crown and tube feels when you wind the watch, the lack of that little stock ETA grinding sound when winding, the sound of the clicks in the bezel, the flawless execution of a dial seen at extreme magnification. In short, it is all in the details for me and for my money, those always seem to be missing from the reps. So I bite the bullet and buy the gens more often than not. Most people could care less about what I speak of and hats off to them cause' they get to save a lot of money. LOL.

Obviously though I love the reps too or I wouldn't be here. There are many watches that I get a great rep of that don't knock me out enough to want to own it forever so I don't get the gen, but I still may love the rep. Hard to tell what I will do. At this point I have only four reps in my collection and I love them all and wear them a lot - just not enough to want to get the gens of them at this point...

That said, your Steelfish rep is without a doubt, along with the Chronomat (one of my 4 reps :D) , the finest quality replica I have ever seen. Enjoy.

Jeez man. I didn't mean to make you search your soul RG, I was just pulling your chain a bit! :headhurt:

I'm kidding again. You know I always have to give you a hard time in your threads. :D

Believe me, I totally get it. I'm looking into watch school.. No point in answering "why" because you know, your post said it for me.

For the record, I'd own (more) gens too, if I could afford them.

And... Grats on another phenomenal piece!

@P4GTR...

but why???

I'll tell u why...

so we can be "truthful" to ourselves...

pay the few thousands & live a true life...

if I had the money, I'll stop lying to myself hahahah :p

ahaha if I didn't fool myself about 1000 things a day, i'd be miserable.

Well....I HAVE the money......But watches ain't what I'm gonna spend it on!!...Especially when I have waaaaay too many already!!...There are lots of places to dispose of excess bucks that are a lot more "rewarding" than jewelery!! Especially overpriced jewelery!! :p;) ;)

To each their own Frank. Personally I don't find anything in life more rewarding other than my loved ones - and I don't consider them jewelry...

Jeez man. I didn't mean to make you search your soul RG, I was just pulling your chain a bit! :headhurt:

I'm kidding again. You know I always have to give you a hard time in your threads. :D

Believe me, I totally get it. I'm looking into watch school.. No point in answering "why" because you know, your post said it for me.

For the record, I'd own (more) gens too, if I could afford them.

And... Grats on another phenomenal piece!

Oh no, I didn't take it that way at all man. I just used the opportunity to giv esome thought as to what motivates me in my watch collecting that's all. I didn't take your comment to be sarcastic in anyway. Cheers.