When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

GMT II Ceramic - Bezel Numbers Silver or White?

TmeShare

I got the Rolex GMT II Ceramic bezel watch last week and like all the posts I was/am very impressed with the watch. However, In looking at pictures on the Board and photos of the OEM I am wondering what color the numbers on the bezel are.

On my watch they seem very silver in color but on the photos I see they look white. Is this the flash or a different batch of bezels? What color are the real ceramic bezel numbers?

TimeShare

Here is a photo of the genuine.. It is exactly the same color I see on my wrist right now..Silver, same tone with the rest of the mat SS. It does have a sparkling quality to it, and therefore the flash tends to make it look whiter. Compare to the markers, these are white.

GMT-20-1.jpg

Someone who owns both the gen & the chs rep recently posted a picture showing both watches side by side & the bezels look nearly identical. But if you see them both in person & know what to look for, you may be able to tell them apart. But this rep is so good that I have not even bothered to install a gen crown/tube, which I have sitting on my work table just for this watch. If/when the aftermarket crown/tube threads start having problems (they all do eventually), then I will install the gens. But this is truly the 1st rep in my experience that is accurate enough to leave as is. The only real give-away, if you have seen the gen in person, is the lack of AR beneath the cyclops (the gen crystals themselves are not AR'd). I have been thinking of trying to remove it (remove the movement, heat the crystal & use a razor blade to separate the plastic cyclops from the sapphire crystal), sending it out to be AR'd and then reattaching it (no idea what glue to use though). But since the potential for damage is greater than the amount of improvement an AR treatment would provide, I have chosen to leave it as is & just enjoy the watch in all of its glory for now.

The Genuine I viewed at the AD is a lite.. pewter.. the replication is very good, it is neither silver nor white.. I would say more metallic gray or lite pewter... they didn't say anything about platinum and for the price tag of the genuine I doubt there is platinum in the bezel..

the reason Rolex Say's it takes 40 hours to produce the bezel is the metal is applied into the ceramic numerals a micron (i was told it is sprayed into the area .. must be a micro point nozzle)..... at a time, and it needs to cool.. ergo the reason for the claim of 40 hours.. sounds great for marketing .. but they probably are doing a large number of bezels that take all week to produce

Some good info on the new GMT (the bezel insert is covered - the inlay is platinum)

NEW GMT REF

Here is a good video on the process from the source (I know it's for the TT not the stainless):

hXXp://www.rolex.com/en/collection/extraordinary-watches/gmt-master/features/ceramic-bezel.jsp

It takes a while to load - click on watch film...

Not sure if you guys use a deflector or anonymous re-director so I changed the tt to XX - Change it back to make the link work. Probably not a good idea to link direct to ROLEX...

Edited by jake48