When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen Skeleton Watch

Samurai

Came across this lovely gen skeleton watch. Need some comments so that I can decide if its worth the 890 euro tag.

625031417esqueleto-1.jpg

530965551esqueleto-3.jpg

346898906esqueleto-6.jpg

156548228P1070444_300.jpg

889903995esqueleto-4.jpg

1962710962esqueleto-5.jpg

Limited edition of 20 watches:

Technic and Details

Type: ESQUELETO limited edition

Item no.: S010504

Unitas 6498 manual wind-up

hour, minute and decentral second hand

Case: brushed stainless steel

Diameter: 47 mm

Dial: reflector

Crystal: sapphire crystal, domed, with double anti-reflecting coatings on the interior side

Bezel: polished stainless steel

Strap: (1) Grey Russian leather with blue seam 22 mm x 22 mm

(2) Alligator leather, black with black seam, 22 mm x 18 mm

Buckle: (1) PRE-V 22 mm polished stainless steel pin buckle, screwed-in, with engraved logo

(2) Pusher clasp, polished, with engraved logo, 18 mm

Accessoires

Watch tool to exchange the strap

Root wood box coated with piano lacquer

very simple thinking;

890EUR is a lot for a Steinhart.

I agree with that. But, its all in your mindset. It IS a beautiful watch. And it's a real, and really nicely decorated movement.... will be clean and oiled when you get it. Will last a long time. The name brings no prestige, if that's what your after. But, skeletonizing is a lot of work, and they did a nice job as far as I can see. So, if you've got 890Euro, andyou wont miss it, have at it. If that's a lot for you, and you wont be buying anything for a long time because of it, you can get more value elsewhere.

Let us know what you decide and pls post a review and pics if you go for it.

Thanks guys. I am ok to pay 890 (actually will be 721 euros...as there will be no 19% VAT for sale to Singapore).

What I really wanted to know was....is this good value for money? Don't think there are too many good looking skeleton reps around which will last a while.

Actually, its a toss up between a Francois Rotier Tourbillon (chinese tourby....I had posted about this some time back) and this watch.

I like the fact that it's a big watch @ 47mm and the movement looks decent....plus only 20 made.

Decisions...decisions.....need a smoke break :-)

Thanks guys. I am ok to pay 890 (actually will be 721 euros...as there will be no 19% VAT for sale to Singapore).

What I really wanted to know was....is this good value for money? Don't think there are too many good looking skeleton reps around which will last a while.

Actually, its a toss up between a Francois Rotier Tourbillon (chinese tourby....I had posted about this some time back) and this watch.

I like the fact that it's a big watch @ 47mm and the movement looks decent....plus only 20 made.

Decisions...decisions.....need a smoke break :-)

I would buy the unitas gen. I would not buy the Chinese tourby. Kind of pretentious...

Have ordered one . Should be with me by the week-end. Will put up some pics.

Good thing is....am getting a 10 day return-money back guarantee (maybe our dealers should take a hint)

Can't wait to get my hands on it now :-)

p.s. also managed to secure watch no. 7/20 for myself.

Have ordered one . Should be with me by the week-end. Will put up some pics.

Good thing is....am getting a 10 day return-money back guarantee (maybe our dealers should take a hint)

Can't wait to get my hands on it now :-)

p.s. also managed to secure watch no. 7/20 for myself.

I hope you enjoy it - But

1. you should search and speak to chris 5264 he is the forum expert on skeletons

2. you should check to see what "t" has available, he has some amazing hand decorated movements that blow this watch out of the water.

http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t320/tourbillon1801/

skeleton20knurled20bezel20full1.jpg

3. That price is way to much for a steinhart- you can get much better watches for that $$

4. I have the homer tourby - its not pretentious in the least 99% of people you meet will not know what a tourby is including many watch makers. - And its a joy to watch- you just can't stop looking at it.

just my thoughts - you asked

benzingersungears019.jpg

benzingersungears009.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

T has some lovely watches.....am tempted to get some from him.....very soon :-)

Thanks guys. Let's see how the watch is when it comes in. I have 10 days to decide if I am keeping the watch....else money back.

Will post some pics when I get it.

Cheers

Definately send it back !

You either get MUCH nicer watches from t for that money (I name him for example because we are speaking of decorated movements, and he is THE dealer with the greatest variety of handcrafted movements) - or you can get other nice watches for MUCH less than that !

the price of ST skeleton is good... very good. This is not overpriced. This is a swiss skeletonised movement and will found in more expensive watches.

but this movement has no personal touch... i would hand blued ths screws and wheels and some other parts. Or would engrave the movement? Anything which get this watch a personal touch. Not only a "factory assembled watch"... i miss here the craftsmanship of the creator.

Also would change this hands. This hands are plastic... absolute "no go"

I would remove the dial. A skeleton timepiece don

Thanks T...point well taken and understood.

Let's see how the watch looks in person....will keep it if it appeals to me (and the wife lets me keep it) :-) ...else money back.

Will send you a PM on some of your watches that I have seen.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys.....here's the story. Got the watch....had it with me for less than 5 hours and it was back on it's way from where it came. Reason.....the wife didn't approve of it. According to her...it was a nice watch....but somehow just didn't suit me. Sad as I was....my options were....keep the watch and sleep on the couch or return it an live to fight another day.

Managed to take some quick pics from my phone (quality sucks):

IMAG0185.jpg

IMAG0186.jpg

IMAG0182.jpg

IMAG0174.jpg

IMAG0175.jpg

IMAG0176.jpg

IMAG0177.jpg

IMAG0178.jpg

IMAG0179.jpg

IMAG0180.jpg

IMAG0181.jpg

IMAG0183.jpg

IMAG0184.jpg

my wife has opposed some of my pieces, but she has the theory, well, hell if you like it, what do i care.

but, i like it alot LESS on the wrist shot - its too big - maybe in general, or maybe for your wrist, but considering the style, which i wasn't a big fan of to begin with - i like it less on the wrist -

invest in a nice tourby watch if you want a skeleton - Or, you could go my route build your own

i have tourby case and hands - 350 ish, pvd skeleton movement, 100 bucks, custom made hktan hornback strap, thick - 212ish crystal sent to chieftang - 45

pvd3hn3.jpg

Love your PVD skeleton. I did contact Touby for movement/watch.....he says he is completely sold out/ choco-block.....not taking any orders for a few months. He has a skeleton watch available that costs upwards of 3500 euros.

So how now? :p

Love your PVD skeleton. I did contact Touby for movement/watch.....he says he is completely sold out/ choco-block.....not taking any orders for a few months. He has a skeleton watch available that costs upwards of 3500 euros.

So how now? :p

One thing i have learned in this world is when you see something unique or rare or "perfect" i.e. the rep you want without flaws GRAB IT.

i lost a bunch of stuff early on

now i buy it even when i don't have the $$- no more regrets